One of the most misunderstood underlying mechanics in this game is the concept of probability paired with random-number-generated results.
Statements like, "If something has a 4% chance of occurring, and if I do it 100 times, it'll always happen 4 times" get players in trouble when they're trying to predict (or budget for) an outcome that has RNG/probability involved.
18 day old noob who read a happy jump guide: "I won't overdose on my happy jump because I've only taken 9 xanax and I just overdosed and Xanax has about a 2% overdose rate which is 1 and 50, so I have 41 more to go before I overdose again."
[image: i.imgur.com]
I suppose it's reasonable to see many players step into this pitfall, calculating probability is fairly complicated after all!.
*Insert hard mathematics here*
Nah, no one really gives a shit about the formulas, except the folks who do care about the formulas... but they already know [where to find] the formulas, ya'll just want the charts.
Here are a few examples with TV points Press Pass prototype quarter-SE-chance with 1 year's worth of TV points, 21 xanax (roughly a week's worth) with OD chance, and loot chance from participating in 100 loot raids with 100 players; all heavily probability-based for reference:
[image: i.imgur.com]
Andyman's "how the hell do I read this?" explanation:
If you use 3,650 TV points on the Press Pass job special, you have a 1.272% chance of receiving exactly 4 Prototype Machine results and a 10.566% chance of receiving exactly 12 Prototype Machine results. You also have a 60.074% chance to receive at least 9 Prototype Machine results.
[image: i.imgur.com]
Andyman's "how the hell do I read this?" explanation:
If we assume a 2% xanax overdose rate, then for every batch of 21 Xanax you take, you will have a 65.425% chance of not overdosing, a 28.039% chance of overdosing 1 time and a 0.067% chance to overdose four times.
[image: i.imgur.com]
Andyman's "how the hell do I read this?" explanation:
If you join and attack in 100 Tiny level IV loot raids with 99 other players attacking (a 4% chance at loot), you have a 19.733% chance of receiving exactly 3 loots and a 2.852% chance of receiving exactly 8 loots. You also have a 21.16% chance to receive at least 6 loots.
[image: i.imgur.com]
tl;dr - What many players fail to realize is that when you try to accurately predict (or budget) for an outcome that has RNG/probability involved, you shouldn't just take the % chance of it occurring and multiply by the times you are repeating it to get the outcome. You should run a few different scenarios and create a range of where you expect to land.
Hopefully you found this helpful!
- Andyman
Statements like, "If something has a 4% chance of occurring, and if I do it 100 times, it'll always happen 4 times" get players in trouble when they're trying to predict (or budget for) an outcome that has RNG/probability involved.
18 day old noob who read a happy jump guide: "I won't overdose on my happy jump because I've only taken 9 xanax and I just overdosed and Xanax has about a 2% overdose rate which is 1 and 50, so I have 41 more to go before I overdose again."
[image: i.imgur.com]
I suppose it's reasonable to see many players step into this pitfall, calculating probability is fairly complicated after all!.
*Insert hard mathematics here*
Nah, no one really gives a shit about the formulas, except the folks who do care about the formulas... but they already know [where to find] the formulas, ya'll just want the charts.
Here are a few examples with TV points Press Pass prototype quarter-SE-chance with 1 year's worth of TV points, 21 xanax (roughly a week's worth) with OD chance, and loot chance from participating in 100 loot raids with 100 players; all heavily probability-based for reference:
[image: i.imgur.com]
Andyman's "how the hell do I read this?" explanation:
If you use 3,650 TV points on the Press Pass job special, you have a 1.272% chance of receiving exactly 4 Prototype Machine results and a 10.566% chance of receiving exactly 12 Prototype Machine results. You also have a 60.074% chance to receive at least 9 Prototype Machine results.
[image: i.imgur.com]
Andyman's "how the hell do I read this?" explanation:
If we assume a 2% xanax overdose rate, then for every batch of 21 Xanax you take, you will have a 65.425% chance of not overdosing, a 28.039% chance of overdosing 1 time and a 0.067% chance to overdose four times.
[image: i.imgur.com]
Andyman's "how the hell do I read this?" explanation:
If you join and attack in 100 Tiny level IV loot raids with 99 other players attacking (a 4% chance at loot), you have a 19.733% chance of receiving exactly 3 loots and a 2.852% chance of receiving exactly 8 loots. You also have a 21.16% chance to receive at least 6 loots.
[image: i.imgur.com]
tl;dr - What many players fail to realize is that when you try to accurately predict (or budget) for an outcome that has RNG/probability involved, you shouldn't just take the % chance of it occurring and multiply by the times you are repeating it to get the outcome. You should run a few different scenarios and create a range of where you expect to land.
Hopefully you found this helpful!
- Andyman