Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Samsung... Why?

Started by xirion [2618808] on in Technology.

3 replies · 78 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 4 / 4 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
4
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
4
Authority score
7 / 100
Historical score
9 / 100
Story score
27 / 100
Engagement score
44 / 100
xirion [2618808]
The new Samsung Z Fold came out, and I haven't seen a post on the new one just yet.

So, the new Z fold is out, and it seems like, just like the first 2 z folds and the z flips, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive! I'm glad, I think Samsung might have actually outdone themselves here. However, I have a gut feeling that I hope is wrong; the phones will most likely have the crease they had just like before, after a few thousand folds.

However, I'm not here to talk about what *might* happen, I just want to talk about what is there right now. I'll be comparing it to Samsung's beast of a phone, the S21 Ultra.

S21 Ultra has:
  • A Lithium Ion battery. It holds a longer charge, and it won't change too much over the years.
  • 5000 mAh. In general, it'll hold its charge longer and charge faster.At 512 GB, 16 GB of RAM
  • At 512 GB, 16 GB of RAM
  • A better Selfie camera with 40MP
Z Fold 3 has:
  • A Lithium Polymer battery. It makes sense that it has this, considering it needs to bend, but it has less charge, will age quicker than Li-Ion, and are more costly.
  • Slower charge due to a 4400 mAh.
  • At 512 GB, 12 GB of RAM.
  • A selfie camera with... 4-10 MP??
I think you get the point. In general, the Z Fold 3 is a more expensive phone with worse specs. So, why even get it? I understand that, "OOOH It's a tablet AND a phone!!" It's trying to bridge that gap between portable and big screen, but it feels like it was done in a terrible way. Not to imply there was a good way to do it that they didn't see. I guess I just don't understand it, but it feels like a lot of wasted money here.
The Fold has a bigger screen, but it's not like it had many improvements over the S21. I can regularly share my screen with 2 or 3 people. It's huge! Sure, it's double the size, but they still both run the near EXACT same Resolution when unfolded!

What was the point of the Z Fold 3? Bigger screen, but it's worse in just about every way, and costs $800 more than the S21. It seems like an utter waste of everyone's time. Any opinions on it so far from those who have it? I've not had any experience yet, but the specs alone deter me from trying it.
Possum [2149014]
It really feels like a gimmicky thing that people will buy to show off to their friends and not really care about the specs. That's really the only reason I can think of to buying this abomination, or if you need to save more space in your pants pocket? I've seen videos way before this thing was released of people getting sand / small dirt or rocks between the fold and it will make a crunching noise after that you cannot get out.
xirion [2618808]
The part I don't understand is that while it folds, it still increases the thickness. If you wear jeans, these things are a nightmare! Phones can already press against jeans if you wear them, now imagine having two phones stacked back to back in the same jean pocket.
Threedog [2346786]
bro you know how much shit i can fit in my pocket im talking laptop chargers, water bottles, socks, those small bags of chips all in all its your fault for buying sucky pockets cargo pants ftw