Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Sleep/Rest feature

Started by HEROIC [2454577] on in Suggestions.

20 replies · 351 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 21 / 21 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
21
Discussion span
→
Authority score
48 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
44 / 100
Engagement score
61 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

HEROIC [2454577]
Hi,

Being a developer we don't often think from player's point of view. but being both i noticed one major but basic activity that is MISSING.

would be nice if you can incorporate a SLEEP activity , same like we have for gym.

maybe when clicked on property it will show one more icon for sleeping similar to vault icon.

when clicked it will make the player go to sleep. this will just make some places inaccessible, like when you are travelling.

when the player wants to play they will need to wakeup by clicking on property and clicking on wakeup icon same as sleep icon.

the above can be added as a quick access icon on the icon ribbon.

the sleep will regenerate energy and health faster but the player will be easily attackable as sleep would cause a decrease in defense drastically.

there's a lot more to be thought and implemented about it. i will leave the rest upon you and our beloved citizens who are just like a walking zombie...sleep deprived :)
biosterous [2377874] Wiki Contributor
your suggestion is bad because:

1. your giant red text is very annoying
2. you have put no thought into what sleep would actually do, and outright said that's for other players/devs to figure out. all you've done is say "what if X was in the game????". put some actual effort in next time, thank you
Blunt [2076337]
Someone suggested this before, ched turned it down. Basically said he didn't want to incentivize non-activity.
HEROIC [2454577]
the offline thing is just a suggestion , might be replaced with something else like you would be easily attackable or something
0xHemlock [2662912]
I worry that sleep as proposed here protects against attacks. I'm sure a "sleep" feature could be built correctly, but protected against all attacks? Plus regen bonus? I can see it now:

>walks into the market
>finds a points seller
>buys 30m worth of points
>mugs seller
>YEETS himself onto the floor, saying "I'm asleep! No attacking! Hahah sucker."

It's the ultimate mugger protection. On the other hand, sleeping regens energy/nerve faster BUT you wake up if someone attacks you, and cannot respond for the first two rounds (wakeup time). First round you have 10% DEF and DEX, 2nd round 40% each, and after that you're back to normal. If you get defeated in those first two rounds, getting hosped adds an extra hour and mugging yields an extra 10% from your wallet. Plus, you don't go back to sleep - you have to log back in to reset that option.

^ that would make it more balanced (regen in exchange for vulnerability), but I'm not saying that that'd be enough for me to support a sleep feature. Just an example of the line of thought that's needed to make this proposed feature viable.
biosterous [2377874] Wiki Contributor
thanks for making the text no longer all red, but it's still giant and stupid colours for no good reason. just make your text normal ffs
Tarpete [2601411]
It's an interesting idea but there's no logic to it as for the benefit there should be a downside too. Having lower defense won't really matter in the long run cause it's not like that's going to affect you. Boohoo you got mugged for 0$ easier because you wanted faster regen. The benefit is to high with no real drawback
RedBaronX [2433708]
That's not quite right, in my case I work 10 hours a day and it actually would help as I log when I've got full energy, so while I'm afk (because I would normally be afk) I would Regen faster, so I'll log more often as I'll be full energy earlier. It's pretty unbalanced but in the reasonable side, it wouldn't be realistic that you're sleeping in your freaking isle and someone mug you haha. Anyway, I think it's a good idea but it may need a good thinking to make it cool and balanced
Blunt [2076337]
If your able to regen faster because your in sleep mode, which can only be activated by being non active, then your incentivizing non activity (which is what I said and your telling me is incorrect. Plus that was Cheds sentiment, I was simply reiterating having seen this suggestion before). It doesn't matter if you would log in for 10min more often, your still incentivizing people to log off in order to get more energy than they'd get otherwise, even if they do log back in more often to use that energy.

I'm sure people will think that's a grand idea, and some won't. I was simply informing OP it's not going to happen no matter what as it was discussed and denied previously by the man himself
Nyx [2236278] Officer Officer
Given Torn is a game based on real time, e.g you wait for your energy to regen the same time as you would have to wait in real life. With the sleep function it would decrease the value of other items in the game like energy cans, xanax, FHC's etc, as who needs to save money for them when you can just have a faster alternative and play this game less? Whole point of getting Xanax, energy cans, FHC's is to be active, work for the money to afford them at a consistent pace and then use them for energy.

Energy is one of the main focal points in the game, and while it is an interesting concept, I think it would have a butterfly effect on almost everything in this game. The decrease in stats is something we already have in regards to xanax (energy boost) and the stat debuff with drug addiction and rehabbing costs.
HEROIC [2454577]
I am not suggesting going offline fully , maybe it will cause some areas or most used features inaccessible for a while.