Thank you everyone who applied, applications are now closed. We received well over 100 applications, with plenty of very high quality applications amongst the lot. It will be a very difficult choice, but I will be going through all of these over the next month, replying to every single one to let you know the outcome. I will interview a selection of those of you who get shortlisted and accepting staff from there once finished.
If you do not make it this time please don't be disheartened, I wish you the best of luck in the future.
Whilst I regret I cannot give individual feedback to every single application, if you wish for any further feedback after receiving a response do let me know and I can put some together for you. Thank you.
Hello everyone, it has been about a year since staff applications were last open and lot of people have shown a keen interest in between times, so I am opening up staff applications from this date.
With the recent changes to new player chat this presents a great opportunity for anyone looking to provide a genuinely welcoming service to new players, and assist in answering questions, however do bear in mind there is more to the role than just that, as you will see below.
Anyone is welcome to apply, although we would only recommend applying if you are above a year old in game and primarily play using a computer rather than a mobile phone, but all applications will be considered.
If you are interested in applying to become a volunteer helper please email me at cm@torn.com with your interest and answers to the following questions including your name/ID, a couple of these questions have changed from before but the premise has very much stayed the same.
1. Why do you want to be a helper?
2. How extensive is your knowledge of Torn? Do you have any examples where you have had to use this knowledge to help others?
3. What do you see a staff member's role being?
4. What are your feelings regarding the Torn community and the current staff team (if any), and how do you hope to improve this by being a helper yourself?
5. What was the first game you played?
6. What keeps you playing Torn?
7. If you could change any part of Torn, what would it be?
8. What device do you primarily use when playing Torn? (Mobile/PC?)
9. If accepted onto the team what would your personal goal as a staff member be? Do you have aspirations to advance to moderator/officer positions or is helper just right for you?
10. Do you moderate/staff any other sites or games? If so, which?
These applications will come through directly to myself and will be open for the next 2 weeks. The final date for applications will be at 11:59pm TCT on Sunday, June 12th, any applications made after this date will not be considered.
If you have applied before and been turned down please do not let this dishearten you, I encourage anyone who is keen to apply regardless and to give a chance for a fresh application to sell yourself better than before. Previous times I have received in excess of 100 applications so, despite many great candidates, I cannot accept you all - I will not be doing "reserve" lists - it will either be a case of accepted or not, potentially following a few brief interview questions directly with myself. Some of the best staff members on the team are those who have reapplied after not making it in their initial applications, having gone away to continue to improve their knowledge and experience in the game, coming back to share it with the player base.
I have no fixed number for how many people I will take on, however it will likely be no more than 8 simply due to training capacity, and the speed by which you apply will have no bearing on my decision, so you can take your time to compose a well written application should you be interested, no points are lost if you apply on the last day applications are open.
This time around I am recruiting exclusively for staff and won't be considering player committee applications, but do bear in mind that helpers have the same access to committee discussions and beta testing, but without the same obligations to participate in them.
If you wish to withdraw your application or change it at any point, please send a new email to cm@torn.com.
If you are curious about what a day in the life of a helper involves, then please check out this excellent article written on the subject by Grif - https://www.torn.com/newspaper.php#!/articles/1072
If you're curious about progression within staff, and want further insight into the application process, Bennyh has also written a great piece on his experience from applying to be a helper to reaching the moderator and officer roles - https://www.torn.com/newspaper.php#!/articles/2093
Please do not mail your applications to me in game, only via email (It's simply easier for me to keep track of them this way).
Thank you in advance to everyone who applies, and best of luck!
- Joshua
If you do not make it this time please don't be disheartened, I wish you the best of luck in the future.
Whilst I regret I cannot give individual feedback to every single application, if you wish for any further feedback after receiving a response do let me know and I can put some together for you. Thank you.