Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Subscriber Book Chance Changes

Started by MightyGoober [812478] on in Suggestions.

83 replies · 2.19k views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 84 / 84 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
84
Discussion span
→
Authority score
55 / 100
Historical score
55 / 100
Story score
67 / 100
Engagement score
80 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

MightyGoober [812478]
Let's start with a "Did you know?"


Did you know that the more books you have, the less likely you are to get more?

Source via Ched reply: https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=19&t=16252485&b=0&a=0

Posted on 12:43:48 - 01/12/21 (7 months ago)

"The chance of receiving a book via subscriptions is lowered the more books you have." - Chedburn

I posted another thread for Ched to view, it included balanced ideas on giving players back the book rewards as they have intended to pay for.
Problem is, I need 250 R+

https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=19&t=16277583
(copy paste from my report)






-




I'd like to take a minute and show you what that looks like from a players perspective.
Here is my events data:

[image: i.imgur.com]

I got 3 books, in 15 months.
1 book, every 5 months.
I have a total of 29 books, of the possible 41.
From the latest book, I had 7 months of NOTHING.

[image: i.imgur.com]

Assuming the odds don't change (which they do), that's still another 60 months (5 years).
When you factor in that getting a book becomes less likely with each new book you get, you might as well just say no one will ever get them all.


I subscribed with the intention to own all the books. It feels really dirty to keep people on the subscription hook like this. Imagine how hard it's going to be when I have 40 books, and I'm trying to get the last one.

I don't get to choose which book I get. There are still a few pending books I STRONGLY want.

I feel a bit trapped, and no tangible solution to this will just have me let me subscription expire once it's over.


A couple of quick & easy solutions:

1) Keep everything the same, but make a maximum. After maybe 2-3 months with no book, the system will be FORCED to give you a book from your possible ones. That still makes it 1 book every 3-4 months, but at least it will be a bit more consistent, and won't devolve with each new book. It's still something to look forward too, and you can make the system last and be profitable for many years per player.

2) Make the odds only based on if you previously got a book in recent months. Remove the variable of how many books the player currently holds. It should have been like this from the start IMHO.

3) Create a LOT more books, like 200 or 300 total. That way the pool to select them from is much bigger, and the expectation would never be to own them all, there would be so many and they would be given out more often. Allowing the player more fun every couple months to try out a new book. (My least favourite option by the way, but still a solution)


In conclusion,
The odds of getting a book should be the same for each player who is a subscriber. You're currently punishing your long term, long subscribing customers. Giving them diminishing returns on purpose is a scummy business practice. Personally, I highly enjoyed the side of the game min/maxing books. It was fun to line up faction specials, job specials, war/training, items/cach, and see numbers go bigger. That's the entire dopamine hit of this game right?

I'm paying a subscriber fee, to get my trickle of dopamine. In the current state, I can feel that fading.
Thank you for coming to my TedTalk.


Mentions: Books via Subscriber Rewards · Chance at a book for sub reward

Kamikaze-Tool [2035028] Committee Committee
I gave this an upvote. I am not thrilled about the current system. I'd be fine with the chance going down over time if it started higher. But to start at a crapshoot 50/50 and then only get worse seems iffy.

If I had to pick one I would choose #1. Failing that, I'd actually go #3.
Kookaburra [748022]
Definitely +1 I haven't been receiving any books for at least 6 months. Every start of the month, I got some shit with no more than 3m value. Then why I bother to continue my payment as a subscriber? There is no difference between subscriber and normal users.
Lollyn [2619037]
I dunno, mate. I see a list of nice things you've received as a gift. Seems a bit entitled to be demanding to choose stuff given out free, but you do you.
Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor
I'll +1 that something different needs to be put in place. Under the current system your odds to get a book decrease as you gain them, this is due to the fact that you can only get a once, once you obtain it it's removed from the pool.

Donations drive the game and it's development forward, so yes, subscribers will see diminishing returns as time goes on. I'm not sure if there's a shoe to fit all sizes, but will give a thumbs up to keep discussion going.
poptop [1355657]
It is mathematically impossible for the probability of a book to spawn to remain the same as there are not infinite books and players may only receive a book once.

However, there are other subscription gifts that are worth more than some of the books.

I maintain my subscription because I reckon I get more than $5 value of gameplay per month, rather than expecting a pay-to-win model of game.

FYI Here is Ched's recent response to what is effectively the same concern
[image: i.gyazo.com]
true [2752635]
subbing isnt really about the rewards, but sure it would be pretty nice to have a more consistent chance of having books for it
Aezur [1950769]
"I've got most the books, so my chance of getting the ones I want is now lower than I find acceptable, and so I think Ched should change the game to suit me".

Not a strong argument.
Arauna [1639263]
I didn't know about this. I sub and also get donator packs when I have the cash. I don't know that we necessarily are better off than those who don't sub and/or buy donator packs but I don't think we are any worse off than anyone else either. When my money runs out the sub gets cut. Maybe have something special for the subs - oh wait that's what the books are for. Sheesh.
Momo [1888994]
I completely agree about receiving the books.
Another point that also concerns me is "Subscriber draws a chance of winning points every day!" - I have been a subscriber for so many years and never even won the lowest prize :(