Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

SY | CNC? --

Started by Sectory [2093611] on in Graphics.

7 replies · 148 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 8 / 8 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
8
Discussion span
→
People posting
6
Likes on archived posts
21
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
39 / 100
Historical score
15 / 100
Story score
32 / 100
Engagement score
52 / 100

Most-liked replies

RyuFive [1635537] Reporter
I like the depth to the tag; there's a background and focal point that should be drawing the attention. Shadows also help to focus attention

The lighting is off, should be to the top right, or bottom right (i think).

Text placement is nice.

I give a solid 6.5/10
Soph-Cunningham [2115907]
I like the color choices here. The thing that really bothers me about this is that there is just not enough AI generated work on it and where the gifffffeeeeeee?

But other than that R+
Nyx [2236278] Officer Officer
I really like it. Composition-wise it's visually appealing, I do feel like the green splat on the right is fighting for your attention away from the focal point of the image (the character) as my eyes tend to go towards the brighter blob than the black and white character but I'd say the contrasted versions really help define the focal point a lot better (especially the third one, it looks like the green blob has been blurred, or the main character has been sharpened, which is defining the silhouette of the character a lot better than the previous). Maybe you could add some motion blur to some of the splats to give it a better sense of liveliness and draw more attention to the middle?

I would say to be careful with item placement repetition. The yellow line is showing how mechanical the splats look, the little green dot to the left is almost aligned with not only the main focal point, but the green and pink splats on the right. I think maybe lowering the green speck on the left near the name, will draw our attention to the name of the user, as we don't know the name is there unless we are looking for it due to the pink text being merged with the pink splatter - I can see what you're going for, as if the title is causing the splatter or shaping the name, but if you could add a shadow around the text of the splatter next to the 'S' that could really bring the name to the foreground and communicate it's a 3d-like object that's being framed by the splatter quite nicely. Or you could add some light white (the rim lighting on the left of the character's face) as a text stroke on the 'S, E, C and partial T" on 'Sectory'. Then use the black to outline the 'E' on 'Me' as the light green is blending in with the skin, if you changed this to black and white, you would see the tone of the green text is very hard to read on the white skin.

[image: cdn.discordapp.com]

I have done some quick tweaks, just to give a visual idea of what I was trying to say. No way am I saying this is 'superior' or what you should do, each designer has their own identifiable qualities and this is just what direction I would push it in. Usually, if you are using two contradictory colours, you really want to make sure it's not 50% of one and 50% of another. Though, I would perhaps use a muffled grey as a transitionary background colour between the purple and green instead of white to separate the character from bleeding into the background, as I make sure my main focal points like text and characters are what a person's eyes are attracted to. Maybe just softening the background might work? I've also shaded the character with a light pink, to make it more atmospheric. If the pink (or you may decide green) is all around this character, it could be an interesting idea to play around with pink or green light bouncing onto the character.

In your version, I do like the teal/green-ish shadow on the character. I think if you adjust the splatter on each side to be lower or higher then that could be a simple but effective tweak. Here I've used the splatter as a frame, the green splatters casting a shadow onto the back of the character that really brings the eye to the text and face, while giving the viewer's eyes somewhere to rest.

[image: cdn.discordapp.com]

Of course I have done this on your png, there's no doubt you will be able to take this in a far better direction with time and the colours I've used are horrid lol. Overall, I really like the colourbook aesthetic you're going for, as if the character is a sketch and you're bringing it to life. Hopefully this helped and as always, take this as more of how I would approach the graphic as opposed to telling you what you should or shouldn't do. Awesome work!
_Ms_ [1376639]
First one wasn’t bad. Ryu was right about the key light because the subject’s hair on the right is where the light is pointed. That said she has a ring light on her face meaning the light is backlit pouring around her. So when you moved the light, still should dodge the abstracts on the left because the key light would spill light over there also. Subject needs either color corrected a little or you can run a couple low opacity gradient maps to blend it all more cohesively. Not feeling that rounded serif font for the subtext, but that’s just nitpicking. Good flow, good depth, and good color choice. It’s a good sig from the start, so this is solely advice because requested.


As a tip, one of my final steps I like to do is just put a black and white layer adjustment over so you remove all color. Add a new layer over that at 50% gray layer. Turn it to overlay. While everything is black and white, you can better see the values and see if the light is directing the eye to your focal point or not. Go back and forth with a soft white or black brush over that gray layer painting (dodging and burning) to really hone your lighting. If you have a graphics tablet and pen keeping a low flow to your brush in this steps adds helpful precision. Can still be done without that if not though. Turn off or delete the black and white layer, then adjust opacity of your gray layer if necessary, but promise, this step really makes it polished.