Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

What if you could rob someone's items?

Started by Lasloa [2765159] on in General Discussion.

51 replies · 1.48k views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 52 / 52 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
52
Discussion span
→
Authority score
58 / 100
Historical score
27 / 100
Story score
60 / 100
Engagement score
73 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Lasloa [2765159]
tl;dr, How do you feel about there being an option somewhere in Torn to rob someone's items?

This is not meant to be a suggestion, just merely want to discuss the potential of this idea. Hence why I put it in General Discussion.

So many active and inactive accounts have their networth through their items, and it got me thinking. What if, in addition to the Mug option we already have, there was a [Rob] option, which allowed you to steal an item/several from their inventory? Or maybe this would be better as a Crime or Job Perk? (If there's already something similar that I just haven't discovered yet, I apologize)
  • Would the risk for "trash" not be worth it? But then again people like to sometimes collect trash items, and it could aid in the Dump Merit. And there is always the chance of getting decent items.
  • Should you only be allowed to "Rob" one item, or should it random RNG roll up to a certain number, such as 3?
  • Maybe this is only an option in some Duke Missions (such as the [Kiss] option), which normally focus on inactive accounts?
I personally think this could be an interesting aspect to the game, but would definitely add some spicy conflict to active players when they got something valuable stolen. I can see it causing more issues as an attack option, so maybe as a Job Perk or as a Crime is better. Some restrictions would need to be put into place, such as you can't rob anything equipped and you probably can't rob someone flying/abroad (can't rob someone abroad because they don't have access to their inventory)

Once again, this is not meant to be a true suggestion. I simply want to know your thoughts/ideas on this.

Thank you! :)

Edit - Don't mind the dislikes, I understand why. But discussion as to why is appreciated :)
Zapi [2414001]
I would buy a shitton of bricks to hide the better items.

Also it would break torn on big events like Halloween, CT, Elims.

Inventory is very heavy.
Lasloa [2765159]
Appreciate the feedback! Maybe that could be a stategy to avoid it, hoard more trash items instead of valuable ones haha. But that would be a risk you take!

Also, why I was maybe thinking it's better as a crime or job perk. The mechanics behind it would obviously be difficult for development regardless
-Beesus- [1959482]
It would maybe work better as a job special, and possibly cap it at a certain value and/or rarity you can steal.

Even then, I just feel like it would be unfair on the players who hoard items to trade at a later stage, and they have no way of protecting their items. Traders have many means to hide money etc, so I think it would be a little unfair that they’re now prone to getting their stock stolen!

Although, it would be fun to steal someone’s shit :P
Lasloa [2765159]
I like the idea of a value/rarity cap.

True, but that's like haha. It would be such a small amount of stock (a few items at most), that would it a large make a difference to the true traders? Could also open up options down the road for ways to protect those items.

I'm on that same page where I think it'd be fun to steal someone's stuff haha. #IMuggedMyInactivesDryNowWhat lol
0xHemlock [2662912]
This has been suggested before. The biggest drawback is returning players. Imagine deciding to come back to Torn after being away for a couple years (military service, missionary work, got bored, any reason) and realizing that your favorite weapons have been looted. All those sweet Christmas Misc items are gone, half your alcohol stash has been looted, etc. It would be super demoralizing.

I agree that truly inactive/deactivated accounts could be liquidated by staff for at least the rare items, but as a general rule I wouldn't support a "rob" feature. For active players, 100% not. That would allow a player to be stripped to literally nothing but their underwear, crippling their ability to even play the game. Torn is savage, but at least you can bounce back from anything. That would change the "ability to bounce back" mechanic a bit too harshly, and wouldn't be received well at all.
Broker [689823]
Interesting idea, I guess people would end up resorting to hiding more expensive items in their bazaar / display case. Honestly I don’t think it’ll be a very great mechanic as I can’t imagine being able to steal high value items, which would make mugging a preferable option and this would possibly become obsolete. The amount you can normally steal through company specials e.g hacking company vault / mugging etc is usually a fraction of the total value, so definitely won’t have luck stealing DBs or GAKs.

All in all, items will be hidden. This would probably become obsolete and mugging preferable. Can’t imagine this ever taking off.
Wires [2209713]
I don't think so. The strategy of hoarding trash taxes Torn itself. I even hit the cap sometimes just due to my bloody flying.
Lasloa [2765159]
Appreciate the thoughts 0xHemlock!

I didn't think about that aspect of it. I do agree that if it were ever a possibility there would have to be limitations on it to prevent those extremes. How would you define truly inactive though? People have come back after years, and I think it would be wrong to liquidate items of players that have passed.
Lasloa [2765159]
I can see that, anything in your bazaar /display case would have to be excluded. I agree that it probably wouldn't be the most profitable.

Appreciate the thoughts Aries! :)
fuck [2669774]
how would you really differentiate between "truly" inactive vs any other type of inactive?
Only people you can be certain to a reasonable degree that they won't come back are perma-feds, and staff do take their possessions and use them for competitions.