So in 2 Threads bogie (in representation of torn) explained that the API of Torn is not intended for chainwatching. So therefore a failure of the torn api can not be held responsible for the breaking of a chain.
As you can see in https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=2&t=16303650&b=0&a=0
and https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=19&t=16303605&b=0&a=0
I wrote bogie directly about the following thoughts, but as it appears bogie is really busy or just ghosting me now. So I'm just posting it here now.
So those claims from the threads before don't match with the data beeing delivered by the torn API itself.
[image: i.imgur.com]
As you can see the torn API does deliver some data called "timeout", which does deliver the time until the chain dies. There is only one real possible use-case where we would need that data. For chainwatching. But as bogie explained, the API is not intended for this. Not even for failsafes after many hours of manual chainwatching.
So naturally this data is pretty useless and the API delivering the "timeout" data is probably a bug.
To avoid false assumptions and further frustation of players in the future, I'd suggest fixing this bug.
Or Torn can just admit that this feature is intended and restore the chains which failed because of that. But there needs to be a consistent strategy for the API.
Note: In my opinion I don't think that this feature is not intended, but according to bogies logic it is not. Please don't tear my karma apart for that ^^ I added a vote where you can state your opinion
As you can see in https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=2&t=16303650&b=0&a=0
and https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=19&t=16303605&b=0&a=0
I wrote bogie directly about the following thoughts, but as it appears bogie is really busy or just ghosting me now. So I'm just posting it here now.
So those claims from the threads before don't match with the data beeing delivered by the torn API itself.
[image: i.imgur.com]
As you can see the torn API does deliver some data called "timeout", which does deliver the time until the chain dies. There is only one real possible use-case where we would need that data. For chainwatching. But as bogie explained, the API is not intended for this. Not even for failsafes after many hours of manual chainwatching.
So naturally this data is pretty useless and the API delivering the "timeout" data is probably a bug.
To avoid false assumptions and further frustation of players in the future, I'd suggest fixing this bug.
Or Torn can just admit that this feature is intended and restore the chains which failed because of that. But there needs to be a consistent strategy for the API.
Note: In my opinion I don't think that this feature is not intended, but according to bogies logic it is not. Please don't tear my karma apart for that ^^ I added a vote where you can state your opinion