I'm suggesting an option to leave a calling card of sorts on attacks.
This might take the form of a
custom message that could be set by the player and attached to the
final message of a log, like mockup below:
[image: i.imgur.com]Edit, suggested by Elizabeth/Calli_: To prevent this from getting out of hand or being too heavy a burden on moderators, the message could be chosen from several words in a bank similar to messages in Dark Souls/Elden Ring. Perhaps some words from
events, some tied to
achievements, some tied to
token shop?
All or none of the above?
This could be a setting in the attack page:
[image: i.imgur.com](additions are shown in Comic Sans to both highlight the noted sections and encourage the overall changing of the sitewide font to Comic Sans, an unrelated suggestion. And because I didn't feel like changing it)
In all honesty there's probably not much practical benefit to this, but I think it'd be funny.
Awesome idea, and can be used in so many devious ways too. "Soliel was here"
+1, Fun idea!
R+
Incredibly, this was previously suggested, a little over a year ago
[HERE]. Kinda the general problem with this is just that you run into a moderation problem. It'd be too easy to bypass filters with it, and staff wouldn't be made aware of it until it's too late, which could be a while after it's already been a problem. It's certainly a cool idea, but staff jobs are difficult enough as it is.
Mentions:
Calling card
Thanks for showing me, I had missed that on my scan for other topics somehow!
While I understand the concern, why would it be any easier to bypass filters with this than with a bounty, (anon) money send, (anon) mail, or even bounties?
I'll admit I was operating under the assumption that the same censorship/filters would be applied to this as to any other form of written communication in the game, and while it does add another method of communication I struggle to find that being a significant issue.
Would it not be possible to, in the case of a blocked player, not display a card?
Or just handle it similarly to how bounty messages are currently handled?
What I think would be the big separating differences are that, unlike bounties, a calling card wouldn't be publicised and there isn't currently a very good way of reporting it, especially if the attacker was stealthed. Not to mention, there's something to be said for whacking an inactive for levelling a bunch of times and stacking up a bunch of inappropriate messages, only to one day have that player come back to a slew of content that the player should be in trouble for. Or, the other way around, dozens of different people attacking someone, each with inappropriate content in their calling card, which then makes it even more time consuming to go through each log and determine who said what, whether it's actually inappropriate or just generally unkind, etc etc. There's already a problem with people bypassing filters, being discriminatory, flaming, and so on, I just think this would not only make the problem worse, but would introduce a new form of communication that's even more difficult to moderate.
Again, really cool idea and very fitting for Torn, but... Well, we'll have to see if this is something admin and staff alike are open to adding.
Thanks for the elaboration, I hadn't thought of the issue with inactives especially.
As far as reporting, there would certainly be a need to make it more accessible. Perhaps a link to the relevant report type on the attack page somewhere?
I certainly understand the problem, though, and while there is a framework already in place for the type of violation, the practicality of dealing with another source of these violations is questionable.
Honestly I can't really think of much to mitigate that. While burdening admins further is far from ideal, I do still like the idea of this feature.
Perhaps attention should just be pointed at the current filter/content issue first?
Yeah, absolutely. It's hard to really nail down the best way to truly censor things, since internet trolls have proven their expertise at bypassing filters (tumblr taught us that best, imo). And honestly, I don't really know where to go with that. It's a tricky subject that I personally don't have any meaningful experience with. For now, staff does a wonderful job, and I think it'll just have to stay that way for a while.
Now that's the truth. lol
I don't foresee this actually going anywhere regardless, but I appreciate the feedback.
How has no one thought of unlockable one's so you don't get to pick the exact words you unlock a bunch of set ones maybe from the token shop maybe through merits
I like this!
While it restricts individuality, it does solve the aforementioned moderation issue. Plus expanding the eventually limited token shop would be good.
Perhaps a mad libs style setting?
Like "Courtesy of _noun_" or "Get _verb_"?
Not feeling the most creative at the moment but the idea stands.
Could even have ones drop from npcs and what not idk
Oh you mean like how the Dark Souls games did it where there's a bank of words you can choose from?
You'd still get people that figure it out with, y'know, "Try finger, but whole" but at the very least, it wouldn't directly be in violation of any rules, so... Yeah! I'm for this!
I tried to remember where I saw it and it's from a minecraft server, so basically you select a collection of kill messages and it randomly picks one each time you kill someone
[image: i.ibb.co][image: i.ibb.co][image: i.ibb.co][image: i.ibb.co]
Id imagine this would get out of hand pretty fast with racist messages and harassment. Torn community is pretty trash, I'd expect nothing less.
I'm neutral on the idea. As long as ignore listing someone turns off their ability to leave "calling card messages" and staff take on the additional work of moderating this shit, I guess it could be neat.
More recently, Elden Ring did this too, right? I remember there being a whole "Fort, night" bit that some foreign players thought was a legitimate easter egg.
Honestly, I think this might be the right direction to turn this suggestion.
Yuppers (Elden Ring is a Dark Souls game btw)
Was planning to add some thoughtful commentary but instead you just get this lame bump
bump