21 replies · 491 views · thread synced · 8 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:22 / 22 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
22
Discussion span
→
Authority score
65 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
38 / 100
Engagement score
65 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
fsh[2565962]
· 12 likes · Every MMO has a quit-moment (<-- british mmo man my beloved); something that drives new players away from staying long-term. (One of) ours is people realising that people who've played for longer than you, will pretty much always be ahead …
ChillySpunc[1905415]
· 8 likes · And what is the question here? This isn't the section you're looking for I think. And you're shitting on people who dislike the game and make it sound like you're an absolute pro. I'm sure you can tell there's a …
What’s with all the new players making posts about how they think the game sucks? I’ve banked my cash for longer than most of their playtime’s. Most of us are 10+ years old some even from the very start. We’ve stuck by the game as it evolved from a text based clicky game to what it is now, still clicky but a lot better than it’s start.
seems too many new players want the torn world given to them on a plate from handouts, I’m all for advice, but 99% of us have grinded through the years to get where we are now.
And what is the question here? This isn't the section you're looking for I think.
And you're shitting on people who dislike the game and make it sound like you're an absolute pro. I'm sure you can tell there's a lot to Torn and that's not appealing to some people which is fine.
Every MMO has a quit-moment (<-- british mmo man my beloved); something that drives new players away from staying long-term. (One of) ours is people realising that people who've played for longer than you, will pretty much always be ahead of you if they stay active.
Most games are somewhat-separated from their forums, though; it'll be on another site, or they'll have a subreddit or the like. Newbies who've encountered that barrier and chosen to quit probably won't put in the effort to go complain, they'll just uninstall the game and move on. Maybe leave a negative Steam review or something.
Torn is browser-based, and we have a big forum button at the top of the page; you don't have to go from a game client to a web browser, you don't have to make / log into a separate account, you can just post. So, since the barrier to forum posting is lower, we get more newbies in the forums - both the ones asking for advice, and the ones here to complain about how the game is shit before they leave.
All of that simply points to Torn not being the game a lot of new players intend to play for a long time. That's actually an argument against Torn instead of against new players.
Different strokes for different folks. You, as someone who spent 10 years and 5 months will experience a wholly divergent strokes compared to those who had just experienced it for a few days and hoping for the buzz they're so used to with other, more modern online games.
The newer players have a attention span of.... 0.023 seconds .. they want something immidiatly, something flashing and the game to have end so they have of accomplishment. The realize after signing up to Torn itself is like life, it just ongoing and growing everyday... the new players have no commitment in ongoing games anymore .. sad really
I'm new I've finished my tutorial missions and looking for more can anyone tell me how that comes about I'm going to keep grinding but just wondering when more will appear
I mean...lets be real. This is a LONG term game and with this generations very short attention span and adversity to commitment I'm not surprised we get new players yelping about this.
And yet Torn does seem to get a constant stream of new players who last quite a while. I'm sure management has stats about the "churn" rate, not that I would expect them to share. So unless most of the new players are multies, even the "new generation" seems to have sufficient attention span. I think in part it is a lot of phone games are intended to be played in short periods of time every day. It's not like sitting in front of a computer for 10 hours playing WOW.
I’m not shutting on anyone, this game is t pay to win and RMT is forbidden meaning every player will start on level ground unless they have rich friends willing to share. I’m not making anything sound like I’m a pro, I merely stated myself and most others grinded their way up the ladder. Imagine how unbalanced this game would be if paying real money could give you an advantage.
People have views, people like sharing them. This game does have things it can improve on, but often, those suggestions are driven by ignorance of how things work.Momey making for one is pretty hard as a newbie. Most players probably quit just because of that lol
I'd rather people like the game enough to suggest things than just quit silently
You get new missions daily, they aren’t like the tutorial missions though. They won’t walk you through the basics or Torn, they’re just to earn a small amount of money and mission credits. Check out the tutorial & guides section if you are wandering what to do next.
Be an active part of your faction. Your faction has an upcoming ranked war; ask your factionmates to show you how you can contribute to the war. (Even newbies can help.) It's a great opportunity to learn, work toward merits, and quite possibly make a fair amount of cash. :)
I'm the 1,899,761st player to start (excluding multi's), and I can fairly easily beat players in the top 500, and the there's the story of Zachjuv, so it's not that impossible for new players to make accomplishments in the game.
It's a crime RPG, so you have to be patient and wait for opportunities, and take them when they arise
What's the story of Zachjuv? I don't know about him but certainly I have seen 1000 days or less profiles with astronomical amounts of wealth (and stats that arise from such wealth), but that's part of the game. Was he supposed to have accomplished great things without spending a lot of real money (or having in game friends who gave him the equivalent)?
Well, he became infamous for saying he had cheap Xanax in his bazaar... And people would somehow misinterpret the word Vicodin and buy massively overly priced Vicodin. He wasn't lying when he said it tho, he'd usually just have a few Xanax there, and a few thousand Vicodin. So the Xanax would get gobbled up by the first person that looked, and then idiots would buy a crap ton of Vicodin and complain in the Bugs forum that they bought some Xanax and it wasn't appearing for them.
As for the 2nd part, where he converted his Vicodin business into SE's, I don't really know that part.
So he's a scammer. Still I doubt he could get that wealth merely from overpriced Vicodin. I'm not even sure how that works because I go to the item market and type in xanax and then I see prices for xanax. If it takes me to a bazaar, I type xanax and it pulls it up.
That scam was prominent before the search function was a thing, so juv and co would change the order of their bazaar so xans were at the bottom and the Vic was at the top - at the time the icons for the two were much closer to eachother than they are now (from what I remember it was the same icon with vicodin instead of Xanax written on the pill, though there might have been other differences too)
If you go back a couple years in B&I lots of people posted about it after they made the mistake :P did it once myself when I was in a rush, never again