Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Torn PDA

Started by Phoenixflies [2165434] on in General Discussion.

16 replies · 956 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 17 / 17 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
17
Discussion span
→
People posting
13
Likes on archived posts
26
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
2
Authority score
57 / 100
Historical score
25 / 100
Story score
53 / 100
Engagement score
64 / 100

Most-liked replies

Phoenixflies [2165434]
I’m a mobile user, mainly using Safari on iPhone, but have Torn PDA for notifications, flight stocks, and stakeouts. This morning I’ve had to re-log in and now I’m getting a banner above the Torn page on my browser telling me to use PDA, like when you have a company app and you go to their website on your browser.
Has there been an institutional change linking officially the PDA with torn dot com?
(I don’t use PDA much as I like a back button too much, especially on forums, and PDA is missing one)

[image: i.imgur.com]


NB: yes, I know I’m a heathen for not using dark mode! I tried it, don’t like it on my mobile, so went back to normal.
ChillySpunc [1905415]
I'm curious if that is a Torn thing or an Apple thing, I assume Apple will be reading the Torn address and recommending using the app? Either way I think it's cool that Torn is encouraging the use of third party apps. Torn PDA is very useful and it saves the devs developing a inhouse app.
PimpChu [1284243]
ive just checked mine (using a safari pinned bookmark) and also checked TornPDA is updated, and im not getting this.

honestly, not a fan of tornPDA. i dont like the UI, and i only use it since we lost the torn app, and hate the fact i need to open it once a week just to get push notifications
didicool86 [2663796]
Would you mind explaining where this is, I have this problem now and can’t locate it :(

Edit; restarting did nothing as suggested above for me
Kwack [2190604]
**NOTE - This is for iOS users only**

Hey all,

I understand this can be a pain for users who don't want to use PDA for anything except for notifications, however there's really nothing PDA can do to control this. It can't be controlled dynamically.

There is one solution, adding the website to your homepage. Press the share button down the bottom, "add to homepage", and you'll get a TORN logo on your homescreen that appears to be an app.

It's not really an app, just a webview dedicated to torn without safari's UI, but the banner won't show at all. For users who only want the webview this should be a workable situation. There's really no better option here that can be implemented by PDA or Torn, you can take up your grievances with apple.

For users who would like to switch to PDA, I would really push PDA's fullscreen mode. I understand you might not like the PDA UI, but there are settings to launch the browser in fullscreen whenever you open the app and you'll barely be dealing with the UI.

Let me know if there's any actual improvements you guys would like to see with the app. Thanks!
Kwack [2190604]
Regarding the banner change, yes - some code was added to Torn to allow natively opening iOS links in TornPDA.

For android users there was a recent fix for deep links, which is why so many have noticed torn apps launching in PDA. You can disable this in your device settings, under default apps I believe.
Users using MIUI will find it a little more complex, let me know if you need these steps.
Kwack [2190604]
Sorry for bumping again in 5 minutes, but it's also worth noting
(I don’t use PDA much as I like a back button too much, especially on forums, and PDA is missing one)
You can swipe from the edge of your screen to go forwards/back, or with the Dialog browser style you'll have a physical button down the bottom (looks similar to the old Quick Browser).

With the standard style you can view the forward and back buttons by double-tapping on the current tab. Not the best solution I know, but the UI would be too cluttered if they were squeezed in.

honestly, not a fan of tornPDA. i dont like the UI, and i only use it since we lost the torn app, and hate the fact i need to open it once a week just to get push notifications

Unfortunately not much can be done here regarding opening the app. You could always look into using the shortcuts app (assuming iOS) to automatically open and close the app at some point during the week. A quick google search shows some examples of reddit, so you could always look there.
Microdust [2587304]
This is completely Torn's fault and has nothing to do with Apple. The developer thinks this is cooool and ignores the user's wishes.
bonafide10 [14339]
Android user here. Tried purchasing a DP via Amazon. It opened up Torn PDA several times. I had to switch to PayPal for it to go through to the link instead of opening Torn PDA. Definitely weird stuff
Manuito [2225097] Committee Committee
This is not correct. The message you get at the top of Safari is implemented by Apple in Safari, once the system detects that deep links are configured to a certain domain. This happens with many other sites which have got domain names associated (e.g.: Reddit). In Apple, you can opt to open the Torn with any other browser by long-pressing a link and selecting your desired application. Also, to get rid of that message in Safari you have two options: either installing a Safari extension to get rid of the message, or adding a home link to Torn in your desktop.
Manuito [2225097] Committee Committee
If do not wish to use Torn PDA as your default app for Torn, you can deactivate it in your system (Android) app settings. This (payments) is probably the only things you can't do with Torn PDA.
Microdust [2587304]
The mechanism of universal links is implemented by Apple, but the app-site-association configuration file is added by Torn, which activates the mechanism and causes the user to see the banner.