Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Tuit's Weapon Guide

Started by Tuit [2257608] on in Tutorials & Guides.

14 replies · 1.29k views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 15 / 15 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
15
Discussion span
→
People posting
7
Likes on archived posts
48
Authority score
54 / 100
Historical score
36 / 100
Story score
44 / 100
Engagement score
66 / 100
Tuit [2257608]

IMAGES BROKEN

 

USE THIS LINK FOR THE SHEET USED and info: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NZ0yzHaLoG__fMRXuSYZp6IWUlxSVyNMjz2w7vHdQoc/edit?usp=sharing

 

TLDR for brand new noobs buy a macana ~$100,000 or Diamond Bladed Knife ~$1,000,000 and when you get bored of that come back here!

I will actively edit this as much as possible so if you have criticism or want to add advice feel free to lmk your thoughts. Also, I am not dumb enough to think I will remember or even know everything so feel free to call me retarded if I say something retarded.

There are a few weapon posts but none really describing the "meta" or what to really look for in a weapon as far as I could find after a ctl+f of the Guide List other than this guide which you should still check out! It is a good post but it does not tell you how to actually calculate attack patterns or meta it just tells you which ones are relatively good.

All of the following data is based off of a spreadsheet I built. I will mainly refer to 4 stats and 3 metrics.

Stats:
(DAM) Damage: Based on minimum damage
(ACC) Accuracy: Based on minimum accuracy
(ROF) Rate of fire: (First number + second number)/2 #(Please tell me if this formula is not accurate but it seems right to me)
(MAG) Magazine Size: Just the stated number


Metrics:
(D/T) Damage per turn: DAM * (ACC/100)
(D/TR) Damage per turn with reloads: DAM * ACC * (MAG/ROF)/(MAG/ROF + 1)
(D/M) Damage per mag: DAM * (MAG/ROF)

A quick explanation of those metrics,

D/T: Damage per turn is basically your expected damage of the course of a fight ignoring any reloads. In a fair fight (your strength = their def, your speed = their dex) your hits will hit at a rate of %(ACC) and your hits will do damage (DAM) where DAM is directly proportional with your punch damage (10). So if you punch someone and do 100 damage then land a hit with a weapon with a damage stat of 20 then you should expect a hit dealing 200 damage. If your speed = their def then with a weapon with 50 accuracy you have a %50 chance to make a hit. These equations are simplified and RNG has a part in all of this but over time if you fought the same fair fight every time with the same weapon you would get a D/T. Since we want to stack the odds in our favor instead of praying for a lucky hit D/T is a stat we want as high as possible.

The D/T of Fists is 5. 10 damage, 50 accuracy. Over time you can expect to have done a D/T of 5 damage per hit. You can use 5 D/T as a baseline for your lowest D/T weapon (some weapons are actually lower however they are either pillows or have some effect)

D/TR: Damage per turn with reloads is like D/T but it takes into account reloading your weapon. On average you will have (MAG/ROF) turns with your primary/secondary before it expends its ammunition and you have to reload. So your average turns firing your weapon divided by average turns firing + 1 turn times D/T gives you your expected damage if you were to empty a mag, reload and keep shooting. You will see why this is important to consider soon.

Because melee weapons do not reload their D/TR = D/T.

D/M: Your damage per mag is basically D/T * average turns firing. This is useful to consider as some weapons will have a similar D/T but will have less damage potential due to having to reload sooner than others. For example consider the Mag7 and the Enfield.

[image: cdn.discordapp.com]

As you can see the Mag 7 has a slightly higher D/T than the Enfield. However, the Enfield has many more turns to deal its D/T before it starts losing effectiveness due to reloading. This is clearly reflected by the Enfield having x1.5 the D/TR as the Mag7. So on average youwill deal almost 6x the damage as a Mag 7 before reloading. This is something that will be good to know later on when we compare primaries and secondaries to melee weapons.

So lets provide an example where we are trying maximize our possible damage over 25 turns.

[image: cdn.discordapp.com]

[image: cdn.discordapp.com]

Given the following weapons lets figure out the best loadout. (we are going to ignore hazardous on nock gun for this).

EDIT: I am not saying you should use either of these guns, it is simply an example as to why D/T isn't everything and that attacks/mag is a crucial thing to consider!!!!

So both the Nock Gun and the ArmaLite have a higher D/T than the DBK but a lower D/TR than the DBK. This means that the meta would be to empty your gun first, DO NOT RELOAD, then use the DBK for the rest of the fight. The Nock gun has a higher D/T so surely its the better choice! Well not over 25 rounds. Lets do the math. (The # of attacks might not be an integer but that is a stats thing and the numbers still work out trust me)

1 Attack Nock Gun D/T (42.75 * 1), 24 Attacks DBK (37.2 * 24)
(42.75)+(37.2*24) = 935.55 Average damage/25 turns

vs.

3.75 Attacks ArmaLite (38.76 * 3.75), 21.25 Attacks DBK (37.2 * 21.25)
(38.76 * 3.75) + (37.2 * 21.25) = 935.85 Average damage/25 turns

As you can see the ArmaLite barely outperforms the Nock Gun. (If we consider hazardous the ArmaLite is probably a clear winner here).

Now this is a very small damage increase but I feel it proves a point that pure D/T does not always tell the full story. ALSO, keep in mind that you will rarely fight until the 25th round and your actual time limit is based on the number of turns it takes your enemy to kill you!

This means that (ignoring hazardous) nock gun would be the proper choice in any competitive fight as the ArmaLite ONLY out performs the Nock after 24 rounds. Also, keep in mind that I am using 0% quality weapons for this comparison. If you had to pick a 0% qual knock gun or a %50 ArmaLite the ArmaLite would likely be a better choice.

This means that at a high level you MUST consider each weapon to each counterpart to decide if that new 18% Powerful Enfield in the auction house is actually better than your current weapon. Now I am not going to get into Weapon Bonuses (aka rw weps) as many people have done analysis on that subject particularly {insert guide links here, i cant find the forum now will ad l8r}. If it increases accuracy, damage it is pretty easy to find the damage increase but some bonuses are harder to calculate and others change your stats or your enemies stats. Judge the trade offs for yourself but I personally suggest that you try to pick the bonus that increases your D/T over time and not to bank on deadly or rage to save your ass every fight. Higher the chance to proc the better imo.

Also, keep in mind that special ammo can make an Enfield (base D/T 34.65) do more damage than a DBK (base D/T 37.2). An Enfield running incin ammo will have a D/T of 48.1. That is higher than a Golden AK.

Keep in mind that you do not reload in defences so do not plan on using multiple mags through your Derringer. Maybe use a specialist in your defensive build!

Alright lets look at some data to show off my graphs and give you an idea of what the best and worse guns are and how much they cost. I will be comparing everything to the DBK with a D/T of 37.2. REMEMBER, weapon bonuses are ignored AND all weapons are assumed to be at 0 quality which will not be strictly true. If you are trying to compare a new weapon calculate that new weapon against YOUR current weapon not the numbers on these charts. The data in this chart is updated to the best of my knowledge, if you see anything strange feel free to let me know! Please use the field on the far right of the sheet linked at top of this thread for your comparison purposes.

 

I am currently not going to update following images as you now gave access to the sheet
[image: cdn.discordapp.com]

Only 13 weapons have a base D/T higher than the DBK and only 14 are better than the Macana. Of those only 6 and 7 are better in terms of D/TR respectively only 1 of which not being a melee weapon. That one outlier being the GAK. Want to cough up 11 digit $ for that?

As far as I can tell secondary weapon slot should be empty unless you are chasing merits, have a secondary with a helper weapon bonus, or if you have bought a secondary that has a D/T over your current primary and or melee due to a good deal of redundancy. Spend your money on a decent melee first, a high D/T primary then a helper weapon bonus secondary last imo. however, its your loadout so suit yourself.

*What I am trying to say is that unless you are getting a secondary with a weapon bonus nothing you put in your secondary slot will out perform your DBK*

oh and fun fact the 'prototype' has identical stats to the armalite (other than stealth value iirc) and is only given to devs and stuff. i probably should have excluded it.
excluding it the dual p90s are the 10th best D/T and D/TR

also the neutrilux is laughably bad for how expensive it is. the only primary with a D/TR worse than it is the snow cannon and the worst D/T of all primaries with stats of

D/T 14.75 D/TR 10.6652205351

However the snow cannon does have the MOST Damage/mag (1824) but that is over 146 turns. This means you will get at most 1/6th of that damage actually recognized. However D/TR should probably be ignored for this weapon.




That is honestly all I can think of for now. There is some stuff to be said about weapon mods and you should keep in mind that certain weapons and weapon types have fixed weapon bonuses or sets. If I missed anything or misconstrued some data I am sure you forum rats will not be hesitant in telling me. I will do my best to edit with the most accurate info possible. Thank you for reading and consider finding a noob and sending him a macana or a buck or two. Spread the love, TORN is already toxic as hell as is!

As always, Good luck and Godspeed!

Mentions: Guide list · The Randalus Weapon Guide For Fighting and Merits · Weapon mods guide

Tuit [2257608]

yeah I adressed all that. the graphs at the end are just fun information based on the calculations. It also gives people a rough idea of which guns are desirable.
"Also, keep in mind that I am using 0% quality weapons for this comparison. If you had to pick a 0% qual knock gun or a %50 ArmaLite the ArmaLite would likely be a better choice."
I am giving people the tools they need to make informed decisions on guns. I do not feel I can rank every permutation of every gun succinctly. If you think it would be helpful to build a tool easily allowing people to evaluate 2 of their own weapons based on user input stats, weapon bonus, gear mods, perks I might be able to do that.

Short answer? NO read the damn thing

AlleywayJack [2365488]
If I'm honest I've never encountered anyone suggesting to new players that D/T is the best metric for weapon selection.

Usually the advice is literally just "Get an enfield and a macana/DBK". Props for assembling the data regardless, but I dunno that anyone is considering upgrading anything into a Nock gun.
Tuit [2257608]
If you ignore hazardous. Obviously like I said in the forum it doesn't seem worth it and it exists as an example of why you need to over look D/T when you can get more damage out of another weapon like the ArmaLite
Tuit [2257608]
I just used the nock as an example to show my point about damage without reloading.

The D/T isn't really for new players its a useful tool for anyone that want to approximate thier damage in a "fair fight" which really only ever happens with noobs but it still seems useful. As far as I can tell an Enfield is ALWAYS going to be worse than a DBK/macana of equivalent quality unless you use special ammo which is why I dont suggest any primaries or secondaries to new players. They will invariably get a primary or secondary but my hope is they only use it while trolling or properly feed it incins. They aren't gonna lose every fight by using an Enfield but imo it sets noobs up for a disadvantage by having them equip Enfields.

Is there another way to evaluate firearms other than D/T just curious.

Edited for poor explanation of my position.
AlleywayJack [2365488]
" As far as I can tell an Enfield is ALWAYS going to be worse than a DBK/Macana unless you use special ammo"

Nah, this is untrue. Even at a cursory glance an enfield at 40% or higher quality can outpace a DBK or a macana assuming a passable speed stat. You also can't attach a laser to melee, so they perpetually have worse crit.

But I don't know why you would exclude the use of special ammo. It's absolutely something that new players can get their hands on.
Tuit [2257608]
Yes, you are correct. I meant to say of equal quality. I will edit this to make it more specific.

Also, I do not mean to EXCLUDE use of special ammo either. I was just trying to do my best to convey that one probably should use special ammo if trying to get the most out of a primary. I will try to word that more appropriately as well.

Thank you for bring my imprecision to light I have made some changes
J0se [3080876]

I think it's brilliant and much needed!

 But everyone is into understanding maths in the game.

It shold be really popular guide but pics are down. (I saw it when it was new post)

Also would be very useful if you uploaded the spreadsheet to easily compare one specific weapon with another. 

 

 

About quality: I read that quality is just a measure of where in the predetermined range of each bracket is every weapon as a metric to easily compare weapons of the same type without multitasking ACC and DMG.

I read it was not there from the beginning and was added later.

If a weapon have 0 quality it means it have the lower stats p on dmg and acc that are possible into the random generator. Quality  wear out and a weapon with 0% quality is perfectly usable. 

A 0% armalite will always have more D/T than a 200% quality kitchen knife (I'm sure that's are other less obvious examples but I had trouble finding that info and probably others too reading the comments)

 

I don't understand why you don't you multiply D/TR and D/M fire the accuracy (acc/100) factor. Instead of using DAM wouldn't you want to use D/T to have accuracy into account to have more precise comparison between weapons (without  into account RW bonuses of course)?

 

I think It would be: 

 

(D/TR) Damage per turn with reloads: D/T * (MAG/ROF)/(MAG/ROF + 1) =DAM * (ACC/100) * (MAG/ROF)/(MAG/ROF + 1) 

 

(D/M) Damage per mag: D/T * (MAG/ROF) = DAM * (ACC/100) * (MAG/ROF)

 

Tuit [2257608]

Yeah I am thinking about just adding the spreadsheet because images on ALL my posts seem to break after a month or less

 

AFAIK you are correct regarding quality and I actually have all those numbers on my spreadsheet with that assumption (just for utility I only used 0% weapons in this write up)

Tuit [2257608]

was looking at the bnt mp9 and steyr tmp due to them being pushed into the same category and realized they had vastly different stats? I will be making a post on this after i land and get my hands on a couple in game as well as do some more research (even though i know they are the same damn gun)

J0se [3080876]

Thanks for the sheet!

I'll try copy it and changing to my own weapon quality. I hope i dont break it! Any tips? What are those other sheets pages?

 

Is the Japanese history bonus applied to where on the sheet? (Or how do I apply it? I suspect that a good kodachi with that edu course is better than many DBKs)

---

EDIT: after tinkering with it and manually applying the Japanese history bonus, some kodachi are better than many DBK so you really should have that in mind! Even with that some good quality armalite with extended mags mods are better than low quality DBK or at the very least for first mag (easy to do the maths with it having the sheet values that saves a bunch of time).

After all 0% quality weapons that based the sheet are not offten used so you (users of the sheet) should copy the rows and change the fields to your own weapons values to compare.

 

 

----

 

You are doing an awesome job Tuit! 

 

Also do you have an idea how to calculate an approximate with different RW bonuses mathematically? Some are easy to do manually pretty straightforward, but others don't.

 

Thanks!