Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Bot hunter/captcha hell

Started by Asbestos [2605613] on in Bugs & Issues.

3 replies · 87 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 4 / 4 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
4
Discussion span
→
People posting
2
Likes on archived posts
1
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
55 / 100
Historical score
27 / 100
Story score
33 / 100
Engagement score
41 / 100
Asbestos [2605613]

The bot hunter is a menace. The fact that there is no escalation for human intervention is nuts. The fact that it plagues you for an indeterminate, capricious, and arbitrary amount of time is nuts. 

The captcha system that you’re presented with is a terrible implementation. Earlier today I tried somewhere between 10 and 15 (I didn’t count) of the puzzles and they all failed. Eventually I got back to my normal wifi instead of cellular and then it relented. 

I really think if you’re going to implement this bot hunter in a way that has no way to manage exceptions, the hoops we have to jump through (captchas) need to work flawlessly. 

I do not want to click all the fire hydrants, cars, stairs, buses, bicycles (this one is was particularly good since the picture was only a set of motorcycle handlebars), motorcycles, etc in an endless loop. 

[image: encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com]

bogie [148747] Admin Staff

If we were to manage exceptions then, with all due respect, someone who fails more than they pass would not meet the criteria for an exception... 

 

There is no error here, it is doing what its designed to do in picking up unusual or excessively repetitive activity and applying a captcha every couple of hours - same as the old system too.

Asbestos [2605613]

And then ask the person to answer a stream of defective captchas in a single session?

 

Thats the weirdest criteria for “working as designed” that I’ve ever heard. 

I think you’ve only considered this system from the provider end. It’s clear that little consideration has been given to the user experience. No one’s introspection can be that tone deaf. 

Asbestos [2605613]

I would actually like a developer to weigh in on this. The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that defective captchas is not a “no error here”. I think this warrants an actual discussion that doesn’t involve Bogie just sassing.

 

Saying click all the bikes and then showing me a POV picture of a set of motorcycle handlebars isn’t user error.