Thanks for the feedback. I'll rename this as just web hosting so other people can see the resources you have shared
Web Hosting
Started by DieselBlade [1701621] Wiki Contributor on in API Development.
About this thread
Posts archived: 8 / 8 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 8
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 6
- Likes on archived posts
- 9
- Posts by staff, officers and moderators
- 2
- Authority score
- 71 / 100
- Historical score
- 32 / 100
- Story score
- 30 / 100
- Engagement score
- 51 / 100
Most-liked replies
- DeKleineKobini [2114440] Committee
· 3 likes ·
Why would torn have to do the free hosting? It seems like a potential disaster, and it might look like official endorsement. Instead I suggest you look at other free options. Personally I host most of my stuff either on … - DeKleineKobini [2114440] Committee
· 1 likes ·
I did buy my domain yeah, but vercel also provides me with tornapi-documentation.vercel.app for free. I have it set to redirect to my main domain, but I could very well use it as the main domain.
Why would torn have to do the free hosting? It seems like a potential disaster, and it might look like official endorsement.
Instead I suggest you look at other free options. Personally I host most of my stuff either on my homeserver, or on a rented VPS, but for the unofficial API docs I use Vercel's free plan and don't reach 15% of my quota.
What you describe could be covered by static site hosting such as Github Pages, Netlify, Vercel, AWS's free tier, etc. Why would you need Torn to do the same thing for you? Most of those companies also provide additional services for non-static pages, databases, et. al.
Ok, and you just buy the domain name?
Either buy (usually very cheap ones), or the services provide one for free. Like Render - i have torndown.onrender.com
I did buy my domain yeah, but vercel also provides me with tornapi-documentation.vercel.app for free. I have it set to redirect to my main domain, but I could very well use it as the main domain.
Biggest drawback on this for me is that we could be running literally any code under Torn's domain.
All it takes is for a couple of people to host copyrighted material, malware, or worse and it could put Torn in jeopardy
Looking at domains, dieselbladetorn.cloud is something like, 3USD/year at the moment on NameCheap
Or as DKK said, Vercel offer free hosting plans
Heroku do 5USD/month plans
AWS (don't use AWS) charges me something like, $15 a month for all the shit I host on there
No. Just no. This is a security nightmare.
Never under torn.com - the implications for XSS, Cookie fiddling and more and more are just too great... And that's only the vectors we understand and know of right this second...
Buy a domain. They're £12/year for a .co.uk for example. Digital ocean have scalable droplets for cheap, or as others have mentioned there are other places that can host static content.
AWS is a ballache, but their free tier could host something... and you could buy the domain through them... Google GCP is pretty cost-effective too... as is Azure... if you don't care about domains, you could setup something quick and dirty on an Azure package.
But, unless it's a Torn Ltd/Inc/org whatever product... I would absolutely and vehemently object to anyone setting up 3rd party applications under a torn.com domain.