Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Enhancing Accessibility for Screen Reader Users

Started by TYMinion [557703] on in Suggestions.

13 replies · 59 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 14 / 14 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
14
Discussion span
→
People posting
5
Likes on archived posts
13
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
46 / 100
Historical score
22 / 100
Story score
38 / 100
Engagement score
48 / 100

Most-liked replies

TYMinion [557703]

As someone with a severe sight impairment, I rely heavily on screen magnification (up to 500%). Throughout my journey of playing Torn, I've connected with others who have similar challenges, including some who depend on screen readers to fully engage with the game.

 

Torn's current custom text editor is a significant improvement over the older jQuery version—it works seamlessly for me. However, I believe there’s still room for improvement when it comes to accessibility, particularly for those using screen readers.

 

With my background in web-based languages, I discovered that by adding custom alt text to images, screen readers can interpret these descriptions and present the images audibly. For instance, I've included this alt text in my forum signature:

 

Signature banner portraying a vivid and mystical representation of spirituality, featuring intricate sacred geometry and radiant, high-vibrating colours. The design includes symbolic imagery of an all-seeing eye within swirling cosmic light, blending elements of nature and the universe to evoke a feeling of deep connection, transcendence, and youthful energy.

 

 

[image: profileimages.torn.com]

 

[image: profileimages.torn.com]

 

This alt text allows screen reader users to experience the essence of the image without needing to see it.

 

So, I’m suggesting that the community support an initiative to make adding alt text easier for everyone. Specifically, it would be great if the 'add image' popup had an additional input field for alt text. This way, users could easily include a description for their images without needing to dive into the source code.

 

[image: profileimages.torn.com]

 

While not everyone will use this feature, that’s okay. But I think many people may not even be aware of how easy it is to help make Torn more accessible. By introducing this small change, we can all contribute to making the game more inclusive for screen reader users.

PurpleFire [2868362] Committee Committee

This would be awesome. :)


R+


Even though not everyone would use it all the time, it would probably be used more often if made more obvious/easy to use.