Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Typo

Started by Brickley [3470178] on in Bugs & Issues.

10 replies · 143 views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 11 / 11 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
11
Discussion span
→
People posting
8
Likes on archived posts
4
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
2
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
32 / 100
Story score
42 / 100
Engagement score
56 / 100

Most-liked replies

SpringLinnen [3075309]

It can be spelled with an s or z depending, so technically since this is a UK based game and the programers are also British, you could say it is correct.  :-) 

 

For more reference:  

 

the spelling difference also applies to the past tense form of the verb organise or organize. In British English, “organised” is standard, unless you follow Oxford style guidelines. In that case, you should use “organized.” In American English, “organized” is correct.

Indefatigable [2517458]

I was aware.  I guess that is why I find it funny.  Also, curious about the fix.  Perhaps I should post a big report about defense being spelled incorrectly.

ChatGPT [1762864]

I'm not sure what's funny here. Organized is the standard American English spelling, and all of this game's spelling is (supposed to be) American English. Defense is also the American English spelling, so it's not incorrect.

 

Torn adopted American English as it's standard spelling over a 6 years ago, so I'm surprised you're only seeing this now.

 

https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=19&t=16264384&b=0&a=0&start=0&to=22203916

 

https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=1&t=16037113&b=0&a=0&start=0&to=18352225

Mentions: deputised · Patch list #36 : 13/03/2018

Indefatigable [2517458]

Thank you for the information about Torn adopting American English.  I did not know that.

 

I am comfortable in both American and English spelling.  I also frequently spell words with my own unique twists.  Always a horrible speller and really it has only gotten much worse.  I find it funny because although technically an error and inconsistent with Torn's policies I think phrasing the error as a spelling error can be interpreted as American entitlement along the lines of Trump's plans to turn Canada into the 51st state and rename the Gulf of Mexico.   I also think the response "that's fixed," is humorous coming from a guy who lives in, I think, in the UK. 

 

I am reading a bunch in but basically my story is that an entitled American didn't realize that that there are two ways to spell a word and kindly pointed that out not realizing how entitled that made them sound and the kindly British guy, instead of bothering to educate the masses just quickly changed it so as to not risk annexation by the American overlords. 

 

None of that may be true, and the funny part is all in my head.