Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Chess/checkers

Started by Antonio121 [3373836] on in Suggestions.

11 replies · 33 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 12 / 12 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
12
Discussion span
→
People posting
6
Likes on archived posts
9
Authority score
26 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
39 / 100
Engagement score
48 / 100
MG7 [3016744]

🏰🐎🗽👒👑🗽🐎🏰

♟️♟️♟️♟️♟️♟️♟️♟️

⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛

⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜

⬜⬛⬜⬛🧍🏻⬛⬜⬛

⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜

🧍🏻🧍🏻🧍🏻🧍🏻⬜🧍🏻🧍🏻🧍🏻

🗿🏇🏻💂🏻‍♀️👸🏻🤴🏻💂🏻‍♀️🏇🏻🗿

 

Your TORN mate

Awesome-O [2356036]

So.... as the section requires 

 

How will this benefit players???

With there be money involved???

Attacking???

 

You need to expand on suggestions otherwise they get ignored 

Antonio121 [3373836]

Well chess is good for you it doesn't involve attacking players and typically its recreational and you don't need cash for it 

Awesome-O [2356036]

So it brings nothing special to torn to benefit players

No money to bet

No hospital time

Nothing to draw players to sit for 20-60 mins waiting for each other to move and loose the game if your attacked by someone randomly!!!

 

Go to a chess site and play someone who won't be forced to quit the game

Isolationist [1306426]

I think something like this would be neat, I like chess a lot myself but if Torn implemented an ELO system for it and allowed people to bet on games and have time limits like rapid or blitz. Could be interesting but I know chess isn't everyone's favorite. Maybe a merit or something for playing 100 games. Allow people to make their own tournaments or round robins and set prize pools themselves. Doesn't have to be strictly chess though like I mentioned, it could be a new location in the city where people can go and play pub games like backgammon, checkers, pool or some other card games. I like the idea of it personally and I think there's enough people who play Torn would pop in for some games with friends but I have no idea if it would go utilized. 

 

One major downside to this is that its notoriously easy to cheat at chess so I am not entirely sure on how that would be handled by Torn. Maybe an area ban if it's proven.

 

Otherwise yeah just find people on here who like chess then take em to chess dot com

 

EDIT: I read that Chess actually used to be a part of torn to subscribers, what made them take it down? Just not enough engagement? Interested about the lore here

 

EDIT 2: Yeah they took it down because it was too easy to cheat at. Your phone is stronger than any grandmaster so all you'd have to do would be load up stockfish and you're smoking anyone you come across. Would have to address this like I mentioned before any further thought would take place

Elizabeth [2339829]

Yes! Torn did indeed have chess previously, however, as Isolationist points out in his response, it is exceedingly easy to cheat at online chess (so easy, AI finds new and exciting ways to cheat every day lol). Every game would either be a guaranteed stalemate because both players are using something like Stockfish to assist their games, or one person gets mated in 6 because they're not using one or are using an inferior one. 

 

So, y'know, if you want to play chess, chess.com, lichess, etc, all great options, but Torn is not one of them.