For those who are forgotten , just statistics
no longer people.
Shadow
The night is still, but inside I scream,
A voice of fear, a torn up dream.
Step by step along the street,
Shoulders stiff, heart skips a beat.
Lights flicker, shadows creep,
Darkened corners, eyes that gleam.
Groups are lurking, strangers stare,
Hunger in their gaze laid bare.
"Hey, sweetheart, come right here!"
Voices heavy, crude and near.
I don’t look, I walk on fast,
But their words still burn and last.
"Whore! Stuck,...up bitch!" they spit,
Poisoned tongues that never quit.
I shrink inside, try to be small,
Wish I weren’t a girl at all.
On the train, nowhere to run,
Strangers' hands, I come undone.
Backs pressed tight, too close, too near,
His fingers roam, I freeze in fear.
His breath so close, I endure,
Don’t react, don’t be too sure.
I step off fast, my heart pounds tight,
But his stare still grips me, holds me tight.
Hand on my phone, the game is played,
Pretend to talk, act unafraid.
"Yeah, I’m close, just wait for me!"
A lie to set my footsteps free.
Others weren’t as lucky though,
Others never made it home.
Shattered lives, their silent cries,
But the media turns its eyes.
Just statistics, nothing more,
Covered up, a quiet war.
Who will save us? They all know
Why are we just prizes, though?
And where are YOU, the ones who shout,
Who boast of pride, who talk so loud?
Big words, tough talk, fists held high
But when we need you, you just hide.
You let this happen, you turn away,
You stay silent while they prey!
Your women, your sisters,
Defiled by strangers in the darkened streets!
You speak of honor, of blood, of fight
But where is your courage tonight?
You leave us alone in our fear and pain,
While you just talk and talk again!
For every sister who must ask
Why we whisper, why we mask.
For all who flee into the night,
But never to see the morning light.