Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Query regarding T&U terms

Started by Mad-Dokta [2769130] on in Questions & Answers.

2 replies · 87 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 3 / 3 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
3
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
4
Authority score
43 / 100
Historical score
15 / 100
Story score
27 / 100
Engagement score
46 / 100
Mad-Dokta [2769130]

There are an endless amount of new user created scripts/programs being created, and I have no problem with most of them as they are simply QoL improvements and provide almost negligible game advantages to the user, but there are some that give a clear and unfair game advantage, and this is what I am curious and interested to know.

 

Please be aware, I am no coder and this has been written while on mobile, and I cannot structure the post better

 

 

 

Brief summary of terms in the Tools & Utilities forum page states:

 

The use of scripts, extensions, applications or any other kind of software is allowed

 

"only if it uses data from our API or a page you (or your users) have loaded manually and are currently viewing."

 

They cannot make additional non-API requests to Torn, scrape pages that you're not currently viewing, or attempt to bypass the captcha. If the software you're using makes non-API requests that are not manually triggered by you, it is not allowed and can be tracked.

 

 

Now, to my simpleton understanding of this is that, the user is required to manually view the page/s for  information to be obtained and cannot have a program to scrape this information on their behalf only to be fed to an end user/users? I mention this specifically in relation to bot programs that provide a user with instant attack options for a player that has just left hospital. Within the same second having left hospital, the player is already met with a "You cannot do this action as you are currently being attacked". This just feels like a bypass of the game functions imo.

 

 

MY QUESTION IS: 

 

Are bot programs, that likely run in the background on discord, that provide the end user with instant game information and links the end user to page links in Torn (eg. Attack page) actually valid and allowed? And if so, can it be explained in simpleton language how such a program does not breach the terms and why such a function is permitted?

 

 

 

I may not reflect many of the community, but in my opinion, the amount of scripts and third party programs/bots being allowed to operate through Torn is getting out of control and I feel are breaking any feeling of "fair play" for an end user such as myself. 

I speak on fair play quite loosely, but I still expect for some degree of fairness, these programs that do all the legwork feel broken and removes all player engagement.

pestilence101 [445588]

All of the info provided by those discord bots is coming from the Torn API, so yes, they are allowed. You would need a way to come up with a list of players to monitor (a few ways to do this would be to track specific factions, active bounties, or have a manually maintained list of people you really hate I guess) and then you can look up each person’s hospital status every so often. 

 

Discord bots aren’t really instantaneous though. In cases of war, the fastest way to attack is to be monitoring the war page manually, since people can med out unexpectedly and you can lose at least a few seconds depending on how often the bot is scanning & other lag issues.

 

Plenty of people stalk big bounties (also potential big mugs etc) manually. If you’re getting hit in under a second of coming out of the hospital, I think it’s much more likely someone is watching manually tbh.