Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Mug-baiting

Started by PedroXimenez [3391983] Committee on in Tutorials & Guides.

2 replies · 449 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 3 / 3 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
3
Discussion span
→
People posting
2
Likes on archived posts
7
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
2
Authority score
77 / 100
Historical score
39 / 100
Story score
31 / 100
Engagement score
55 / 100

Mentioned in this thread

Pimmetje [3286235] ×1

PedroXimenez [3391983] Committee Committee

I don't think I've seen a guide to this already, apologies if I've missed it.

 

Short version: If you're at a 7* or above clothing store, then pricing items at 7% (assuming 3% fees) above what you paid for them means you'll make a profit from people buy-mugging you.

 

Longer Version

 

Buy-mugging is fun, and tempting, especially if you've acquired a plunder weapon. Most/many buy-muggers are pretty casual, and either don't check or are unaware of the "Secret pockets" perk you get at a Clothing Store. (obviously there’s a huge selection bias at work here, because those who are/do aren’t the people who mug me and I talk to about it)

 

The max someone can buy-mug you for is 15%. With "Secret pockets" that's 3.75%. Add in market fees of (currently) 3%, and if you get buy-mugged on an item you've listed for 7% more than you paid for it you'll -- at worst -- break even, and normally turn a nice little profit.

 

If you're paying attention (and equip a smoke grenade or similar) there's also a percentage of people you'll catch in the act (or will just fail to mug you) and be able to save all your profit from. And very occasionally the market gods will work in your favour and you'll just sell an item because of a temporary price surge.

 

Thoughts

 

  • Is it worth joining a clothing store to specifically do this? Eh, probably not, but combined with the "Nine to five" and "Tailoring" perks,  it's not a bad deal. The profits aren't huge (I'd probably be making a little more running Xanax from SA), but it's also pretty low effort; you just need to remember to replenish stock from time to time
  • 50% of buy-muggers are pretty apologetic about doing it, and also don't check the numbers, so you don't piss off too many people; maybe 5% actually return the money they've mugged (?!); starting a non-confrontational conversation with them post-mug is a nice way to meet new people, they're normally pretty cool
  • Your items won't sell if you're flying or in hospital
  • Leaving items up overnight is risky; your mug protection will go down over time, so if someone buy-mugs you as you've just fallen asleep, and someone buy-mugs you just as you're about to wake up, you might lose more money
  • Donator Packs sell best, because that's where people look for people to mug, and they also have a price-floor, which is the maximum you can lose if you liquidate; Qfiffle is usually selling them cheap in her bazaar
  • Get a bazaar search script so that what you paid is already cheaper than whatever's the lowest item market price
  • Xanax and eDVDs are too liquid as markets; this doesn't work if a 7% over-market price doesn't have you near the top of the seller list anyway
  • Arms Caches are risky for price fluctuations, and I've had them sit forever without selling
  • Poison Mistletoe has been good to me recently, but I think that's mostly just one player. Also they have no supply until Xmas, so prices do just go up
  • There was a Clothing Store named "Hiring - (Candle Shop)" for a while which I assume was just full of people doing this
  • I think I'd be making a lot more money if I had even lower stats and was an easier target for newer players
  • Shout out to Pimmetje who's always has a massively over-priced DP for sale, and who I can't be the first person to have run my first buy-mug on, lost a bunch of money, and realized you need to do the maths on these things

 

Conclusion

 

Do I recommend it? It's not amazing money, but it's honest work with spare cash that doesn't quite qualify for a whole stock block, especially if you already find yourself at a Clothing Store.

Mentions: Pimmetje [3286235]

PedroXimenez [3391983] Committee Committee

Estimate on personal experience. A big percentage aren’t “professional” or running the numbers, they’re just bored. (with the heavy caveat that maybe there are a lot more buy-muggers who are, just those aren't the ones I talk to)