Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

What am I missing

Started by MassMurderer666 [3768222] on in Questions & Answers.

4 replies · 139 views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 5 / 5 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
5
Discussion span
→
People posting
5
Likes on archived posts
13
Authority score
58 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
32 / 100
Engagement score
53 / 100

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Inoyss [3465377] ×1

MassMurderer666 [3768222]

Hello, just stumbled across this game earlier this week, currently a level 3.  I sit in front of a computer all day for my job, so I log in several times a day, but it only takes a couple minutes to blow through my stats, using energy at the gym and nerve trying to commit crimes.  Then I just wait hours for the stat bars to refill, so that I can blow through them in an instant again.  I feel like I'm not doing something right, any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

It needs to be said that Torn is a marathon game, not a sprint. Everything in the game takes a long time to accomplish, years in fact for many of it's aspects. Few things can be accomplished in a few hours. 

 

For now, do the new player missions, get a feel for the game. There's a lot to discover. The Tutorial and Guide's forum is great. I suggest Baldr's Basic Advice:

https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=61&t=16034448&b=0&a=0

 

Join a faction to discover a whole new side of the game as well. Definitely aim for a faction that accepts new players with at least 1 million respect to get your feet wet. Good luck!

Mentions: Baldr's Basic Advice

Inoyss [3465377]

During my time in Torn thus far, I’ve found it helpful to set personal goals for myself. Here are some of the things I’ve worked towards:


(1) Getting to 100 in a particular crime skill

(2) Investing more money in my bank over time (aiming for ~2 billion eventually)

(3) Getting enough points to open my own bazaar (which I was just able to accomplish)

(4) Making it to level 15 to unlock travel (letting me buy items from other countries)

 

If you need more inspiration, I recommend looking at the different medals and honors available and seeing if anything looks fun to pursue.

 

Torn does take time, and it is a marathon. If you’d like to stick around for the long term, I recommend enjoying the journey as you go.

aessedai82 [3436693]

Adding on - there are a lot of things that runs in the background such as education courses, coding viruses (requires intro to CS), bank interests, etc.

 

Personally, I find that a good way to have a feel of the game, see what aspects are available for play and have some sort of direction would be to chase merits.

 

As Inoyss [3465377] mentioned, level 15 is also a good target to work towards to especially during the first 2 weeks when you have newbie protection.

 

Happy Torning!

Mentions: Inoyss [3465377] · EASY MERITS in 2 WEEKS (perfect for NEWBIES)

pestilence101 [445588]

A lot of people mostly just log in briefly to train/do crimes/take drugs/fly and then spend more time online during a chain or ranked war. 

 

Personally this is what I spend way too much time doing in Torn (in no particular order):

 

  1. Chatting in faction chat
  2. Reading forums
  3. Reading the personals section of the newspaper
  4. Buying & reselling stuff on the item market
  5. Playing silly forum games in the Fun & Games forum
  6. Chatting with friends 
  7. Reading my personal stats 10x a day to check if I’m any closer to some merits yet
  8. Stalking Scouting my ranked war opponents
  9. In the past - writing newsletters and/or forum guides for my faction 
  10. Playing poker
  11. Looking for targets so I can go on a mugging spree (generally unsuccessfully)
  12. Chatting with George 

 

If you want to get more into the social aspects of Torn, try looking for a faction to join that’s active and chatty. It can be a little easier to make friends with faction mates if you’re not sure where to start, you also can hopefully get some good advice on growing in the game. :)