Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Depression in men

Started by Leerie [3387354] on in General Non-related.

38 replies · 274 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 39 / 39 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
39
Discussion span
→
Authority score
41 / 100
Historical score
25 / 100
Story score
53 / 100
Engagement score
71 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Leerie [3387354]

Hey everyone.  Just wanted to come out and say it's okay for men to be depressed.   It's one of the hardest things to admit as a man but I have severe depression.

 

I wanna let all the men out there know that it is not a weakness.   Once you come out and let someone know you have it it help elevate the mental burden.

 

If you ever get to know a man who has depression and they come out and be open about it pmease don't bug them or  ridicule them for it.   Support them cause it took a lot for them to open up about it.   

 

 

Unlucky [2472585]

Hey man I’ve had stress induced panic attacks twice in my life. Nothing as bad as depression but I’m total with you. 

If I’d’ve been able to emote better at the time I probably would have seen the warning signs before I started spiraling. 

Keep up the fight. 

Remilia [1284087]

Everyone goes through hard times, it's the struggle and how we deal with it that makes us who we are. I don't think anyone should think less of someone for seeking help through hard times.

Sannemander [2088627]

I've been in a pretty dark place more than one time, luckily now I'm on a flowery road, talk about your feelings is strength. It's very hard to talk about it when you have it because you feel weak

 

what helped me a lot with depression is to write down your feelings daily, and the good part is, when you're out of it and read it back, you feel even better, and have to laugh about it.

 

 

undo [2090073]

This, plus P&L is depressing. You can report your own thread to get it moved though (seems someone already did, right as I was trying to).

damaster [641864] Wiki Contributor

moved to General non related.

Thanks for your post on men's mental health awareness month OP. I hope you are managing your depression well and please reach out to professional help if not.

Sweeney_Todd [27468]

It's fine...

 

It's OK to be f**ked up at the start. Men can't cry or be emotional....

 

Once you learn this is bullshit, just let it out. Not to everyone, obviously, but to those you trust. For them, be yourself...

 

I trust 6 people on this earth with who I am, two of which play this game. To everyone else, f**k you and speak to my mask...

Leerie [3387354]

I've gone to cognitive therapy groups and seemed to help a bit.   

 

Free and easy to join.  A lot of others there with the same issue.  Don't let society bring you down.

DedeSiregar [2430598]

The thing about depression, sometimes you don't feel sad at all. You just feel nothing, but gradually lose your functions and turn to be stranger of yourself.

 

And when ppl say "oh it's just a job" or "happiness has nothing to do with your career", but you can't feel relate with that, it's fine. You are not alone.

 

It doesn't mean you are shallow or your life is less meaningful than other people. It just means you see it as your purpose, identity and legacy. It's the extension of your routines, hopes, dreams, and ideals.

 

Take your time to grieve, before you start something. You're a human. Not a machine.

astrosalts [3835323]

Men have been treated unfairly, being told to “man up” and “men don’t cry” and being told you have to carry the burden of the whole family. It’s about time we unlearn and do better when it comes to raising kids, especially boys.

 

Emotions don’t make you weak, they’re a normal human response, in all genders. 

 

I’m sorry that you’re going through it, and I hope you can feel better soon. If not, that’s okay too, but don’t be afraid to reach out to friends and family! Preferably ones you feel the most comfortable talking with. No human was ever meant to carry their burdens alone, that’s why the saying “it takes a village” exists.

windyrockbell [2805009]

The pressure to suppress emotions around others is a huge issue overall. Men need to be able to open up to each other, not just over negative feelings but positive ones too. They need to be able to wish each other goodnight and compliment good drip. Those kinds of emotional connections are seen as cut off too frequently.

NightHawk27 [3418693]

Im depressed af and life has only treated me worse and worse. I've been thinking of committing for a long time but today ive felt it stronger then ever. My life is so f**ked up amd theres no way it could get any better. Im sick and tired of this shit bit im also to coward to actually kill myself. Im a miserable peice of shit and I need an escape 

Nadbash [2183654]

I'm depressed, and I take medicine for it, wellbutrin (used to take Prozac) and it's helped even me out quite a bit. Society's expectation that men should just "Grin and bear it" is nonsense. You don't get strong, safe men that way you get ticking time bombs. Ignoring mental illness, or even just temporary sadness is foolish and dangerous.

dunmugmeh [538353]

I have always been a bit like that.

 

Things which help a lot are hobbies and interests. Games, music, films, reading books watching tv etc  make me happy.

 

They can all be uplifting for the spirit.