Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

The torn standard

Started by VitalKarma [3462910] on in General Discussion.

58 replies · 584 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 59 / 59 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
59
Discussion span
→
Authority score
53 / 100
Historical score
24 / 100
Story score
58 / 100
Engagement score
72 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Faction 54181 ×1

VitalKarma [3462910]

You know, I honestly can't get enough of torn. I learn something new everyday. My most recent education has been on "the torn standard".

For those that don't know what the torn standard is, I'll give you a simple example or 2.

 

Example 1. The prices in torn vary but have a standard buying/selling price range. You can't buy Vicodin overseas at $127,000 and sell it for a $50,000 profit, nobody would buy it because Vicodin has a "torn standard" buying/selling range of $900 - $1200.

 

Example 2. Pay per hit for chains, in a faction, has a "torn standard" of about 250k per hit (minimum). 

 

These examples are small but I hope they give you an idea of what the "torn standard" is.

 

I for one, do not abide by the torn standard. The first example should explain how ridiculous it is, and how much sense it doesn't make.

 

It's funny to me If was to pay $50,000 per hit for chains, I'm called a scammer. I thought factions were there to join or create a like minded community of friends, whether it be a chaining faction, warring faction, a revive faction etc. so why does it matter how anyone runs they're faction?

 

And when it comes to prices, the players have the power to change that. Everyone is so comfortable with the torn standard, they don't realize the profits they could be making on, as of right now, unprofitable items.

 

 

Shooby [2510470]

You have no value in chaining to be frank.  You gain the faction nearly nothing without a provided warlord or revitalize and even then, you can't swing. 

 

A mandatory minimum should be a standard. But if you want more, go sell losses and use that money increase value getting your stats up.

BobrKurwa [2841258]

System works because ppl don't know prices of defends for example. I pay nothing.

 

Alternative cost is funny thing. But everyone decides their own price. And most are broke af.

Stop doing that.

 

Something is badly wrong if your networth and stats can't beat me. I'm f2p. Greatest scam in Torn.

Viciously_Grim [2752611]

No one cares what you pay your faction as long as you're transparent about it and your members agree to the pay - and are aware of the options outside of what you offer.

 

We recently started a brand new faction (14 days old) with our long standing team, and we offered to pay $100k per chain hit for chains outside of war, using the leader's passive income to pay for this.

 

Most members have so far chosen to not participate in random 10 (now 25!) chains to unlock new perks, and I don't blame them - I hit them hard with the mantra "only use your energy for gym training unless you're getting paid". But some do, supplementing the pay with taking bounties.

 

Either way - respect gains or gym training - the energy benefits the faction.

Viciously_Grim [2752611]

LMAO no, I'm currently the only one regularly chaining outside of war😂😂😂

 

Sin and I are both sacrificing our pay from this war so the pay is comparable to he payouts from our prior shell.

VitalKarma [3462910]

Your right I don't see that much value in chaining. I was offered 300k per hit from a faction a couple months ago so let's do the math, so you can see where I'm coming from.

 

5 hits at 300k is 1.5m.  

1 Xanax provides 10 hits and cost 800k per xan.

How does it make sense to send 2-4 xan per person and then pay them double  what the xan is worth every 10 hits.  At most 10 hits by yourself is 20-40 respect.

So if someone does a 10 chain of 24 respect, why should that person make the same as the person who does a 10 chain and gets 40 respect?

 

Taxxon [882264]

I do not believe the Standard is to pay for normal chains, only chain watchers. Not sure you know what the Torn Standard is even after 260 days.

Kornord [3614041]

Isn't that, just, uh, modern economics? The price is defined by the supply and demand, as well as value that can be gotten out of items or services.

 

*I* wouldn't buy a defend for 500'000'000$. 

 

*You* wouldn't sell a defend for 1$. Or would you, because torn standard is such a bad thing?

 

Is it *really* a bad thing if it's been around for years?

 

 

nippythefish [2488304]

I have a shirt with your name on it 

 

Your posts have prevented me from telling you this, but I see that things aren't going to improve.

Shooby [2510470]

you have a whole f**ked up perspective of the faction economy and that's why you should not be a faction leader. It doesn't work like that under normal conditions. 

DedeSiregar [2430598]

On behalf of torn cache cartel, lemme just say we disagree with u.

We like to unify our sell price in market. That way the prices won't crash, faction leaders are happy, and everybody wins. Unless for the buyers. I heard the cheese guy wants our downfall smh. 

DrMajah [3426973]

Regular traders also have some weight on the market fluctuations, you can see the "leeked" convos in various forum posts of people coming together to set a new high for xans for example 

 

Weird, but it happens. You can sell your xans at 800k, but the people who want it at 820k will buy them all up and sell them back at their rate. Soon that will be the new rate, and it just continues from there. Xan has a steady stream from new players so it hovers in the 800k-830k range 

 

Those that engage in that practice can also be stuck with their tails between their legs when their products in high volume are sitting for days or weeks not being sold. Some times more turn over for smaller margins wins in the long run compared to a larger margin, once in a while. 

 

Then you have people who pay the premium to buy in bulk and shit 

 

idk man the game has a buncha economic stuff going on, don't think too much. Buy what you need, make money in a war, and have fun 

Shooby [2510470]

Hate to be the bearer of bad news. 260 days is enough to figure out the game. But you haven't. 

 

Higher stats-higher rewards.  Earn your worth or stay selling losses/chaining for peanuts. It's a PVP primary game from a mechanical standpoint. I made over 40b mugging with sub 500k total stats. Stop whining about chain prices and do something else.

 

Also nice edit.

Henry_Royal [174491]

I was under the distinct impression that chaining was for long term growth of a faction.

 

Like, you only participate in it because you want to build something with other people.

 

Ever since caches came out, thats the way to 'chain' for money. I'd feel pretty insulted if I put a bunch of sweat equity into perks/brand recognition and somebody told me to pay them for similar.