Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Low power usage pc

Started by TheDevilsBigToe [2204723] on in Technology.

2 replies · 49 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 3 / 3 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
3
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
2
Authority score
6 / 100
Historical score
11 / 100
Story score
25 / 100
Engagement score
41 / 100
TheDevilsBigToe [2204723]

Looking for help from those more in the loop than myself. 

 

I'm looking for a pc or similar that can be left on permanently. Mainly for use with a NAS, file sharing and I'm planning on getting a 3d printer to go with it. 

 

I'd also like to tie it in with a cctv system in the future if possible but that's not totally necessary.

 

I'm guessing it doesn't need to be very powerful really. Could run linux or a distro. 

 

The main thing I want is for it to be low power consuption as it will be on either permanently or for extended periods of time. 

 

I was thinking something like a Pi, but there's probably better options out there. 

 

Thoughts?

PinkFish [3515024]

I bought Linux Small Tiny Lenovo PC M900 Dual Core CPU 8Gb DDR4 RAM 120Gb SSD 4K WiFi on Ebay, £48

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/167501286295

 

Linux Mint, already factory reset. Not sure of the power consumption but it is silent and good enough for some projects. I leave it running permanently, I suspect it consumes no more power than any other idle solid state device, but so far, it works for me.

 

Jaxtra [2658631]

I have an ASUS PN64 as my main desktop, it's running 24/7 and is working fine. Running linux.

 

From your requirements, a raspnerry pi would be more than enough, but if you want more power for some reason, this is another mini-PC option. You could also look into a NUC.