Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Homemade E-ink Torn API device

Started by Fiber [2009106] on in General Discussion.

183 replies · 6.27k views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 184 / 184 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
184
Discussion span
→
Authority score
63 / 100
Historical score
54 / 100
Story score
78 / 100
Engagement score
90 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Fiber [2009106] ×1

Fiber [2009106]

 


After many requests, I have decided to launch a shop for the TornHub on www.tornhub.info.
I'm still refining the site, there is some stray dutch here and there, but I have a test batch ready for anyone interested! 

 

Shipping to the US is insane because of tariffs, i really can't help this and am happy to refund any amount turning out to be too much, but it's very hard to figure out how much exactly to pay without going through the whole process and seeing if the package arrives. But I honestly think this is as good as it is atm.

 

There is free shipping for Dutchies.

The price of the devices is going down as I will scale things up. I will also pledge to keep expanding and updating the dashboards :)

 

 




\\\\\\\\\\\\\\OLD POST///////////////////////////////////////

Here is an update, for the original opening post, look just below!

 

[image: i.ibb.co]

 

Unedited original post:

You might remember the good old days of TornPDA. I severely missed TornPDA as a concept while brainstorming about a potential usage for my e-ink device. I picked those up as a hobby to learn programming. 

I therefore made myself a Torn E-ink Dashboard to carry around as a E-ink TornPDA and accidentaly leave on the toilet the whole time. 

It's a perfect toilet-xanax-reminder, a way to track my stat growth and natural regen. I just wanted to share it with you. It updates every 15 minutes and will run for about a month on 1 battery charge. I soldered the battery and made the side buttons of the device refresh it too. 

It's all fairly simple to do and I can recommend it as a beginner project, should you ever wanna try programming a device.

Okay thanks! 

 

TL;DR for if you have TikTok installed

Made e-ink Torn device. Look!

 

 

[image: i.ibb.co]

 

Rosti [2840742]

Hell yeah, love projects like that. working on a general e-ink screen station without torn integration yet. 

If you would like inspiration for yours: show the latest event as text at the bottom (could slim down the Torn logo potentially)

 

Great work!

 

is one of those though for my project, and they look super good if anyone is going to copy your cool tool

 


Fiber [2009106]

That is a great idea, thank you! 

 

Your idea made me think: the device has 2 programmable side buttons. One of which just reboots it, the other one is unused. So I could do a 'show latest event list' on button press, that'd be pretty awesome!

Fiber [2009106]

I'm using these Lilygo 2.13: 

[image: lilygo.cc]

 

Parts list:

  • Small battery, about 600mAh
  • The display above
  • A 3D-printed case from Thingiverse I slightly modified to fit a slightly thicker batter (they used really really small ones)

 

Gotta solder the battery to a header (comes with the case) with a soldering iron and some tin

gotta print the case

gotta flash the code onto the device with a correct micro-usb cable (data carrying) and remember to also give it Wifi(credentials)

Rosti [2840742]

I have a question about scripting, if one was to make such a screen with a raspberry pi (linux pc) and add a button that only has one purpose: train in the gym (with the tab already preopened) then wouldn't be legal to train via that button? The daily verification wouldn't be nice but that can be solved by remoting into the device via VNC from phone or PC. 

 

This could then be exxagerated by adding a xanax usage button (would have to press it multiple times to get to that page as 1click = 1 action) or do multitabs

 

Even better: have a button dedicated to attacking Bogie that you can spam when drunk.

Rosti [2840742]

Hell yeah, many of those devices also let you reprogram the reboot button unless its a hardware thing where it cuts power. You could also solder more buttons to it, but be cautious, it is easy to get into a button mess with wiring and button positioning. I haven't considered how battery efficient yours is, it might be even better than the epaper I sent in.

hemi [2165616]

Unfortunately I'll never be able to make this for myself, but I'd 100% buy one or pay to have one made. So cute and cool! Awesome idea.

Romarocky [3152013]

I love the idea and the concept. It's super cute. It reminds me of a tamagotchi that I had as a kid. Lovely

 

On the other side.... everyone has a mobile phone and with just 2 clicks i can open torn on it.... xD

Jtester [2477772]

Damn that’s a sweet little gadget, Honestly I wouldn’t even mind it as a living display of my torn career for my collection of stuff around my desk