Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Torn for Dummies

Started by ChrisRob01 [3938325] on in General Non-related.

4 replies · 57 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 5 / 5 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
5
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
18
Authority score
18 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
40 / 100
Engagement score
50 / 100
ChrisRob01 [3938325]

A Noob’s Guide to Surviving the Madness

So there I was, scrolling through Google Play, looking for a game to scratch that Sims itch—you know, the one where you build your life, make choices, and maybe become a millionaire with a mansion and a hot tub. Then I saw it: Torn. The screenshots looked gritty, the description said something about crime and power, and I thought, “Hey, this is like Sims… but with attitude!”

I downloaded it faster than you can say “nerd with a LAN party past.” (Yes, I was that kid who brought her PC to LAN events and played The Sims while everyone else was fragging each other in Counter-Strike. Don’t judge.)

Level 5 and Clueless

I dove in, did the tutorial missions, leveled up to 5, and felt like a boss. Then—ding!—a message: “Hey, want to join our faction?”

Faction? What’s that? Is it like a club? A gang? A book club with more violence?

Turns out, a faction in Torn is basically a gang or crew. You join one, and suddenly you’re part of a team. Sounds cool, right? I thought so too. I joined, feeling like I was finally part of something. I imagined us sipping virtual coffee, planning our rise to power.

Then Came the War…

Not even five days later—BOOM—we’re at war. I didn’t even know we were at peace to begin with! Suddenly, people are talking about chains, respect, and stealing hits. I’m sitting there like, “What is this, Game of Thrones?”

So I did what any confused newb would do: I clicked on someone from the enemy faction and attacked them. I mean, that’s what you do in war, right?

Wrong.

“Chris stole my hit!”

Next thing I know, someone’s yelling in the faction chat: “Hey! Chris stole my hit!”

Wait… what? I stole something? I didn’t even know what I was doing! I just clicked a button! I thought I was helping!

Apparently, in Torn, chaining is a coordinated attack strategy where faction members take turns attacking enemies to build up a combo (or “chain”) for bonuses. And stealing a hit means you attacked someone someone else was about to hit, breaking their chain. Oops.

Feeling Like a Ghost

After that, I felt like the awkward kid at the party again. I stopped attacking anyone. I just trained, did crimes, and quietly waited for the war to end. I didn’t want to mess up again.

Then, out of nowhere, I get a message: “You received money from your faction.”

Wait, what? I got paid? For doing… nothing?

Apparently, factions sometimes share profits from crimes or wars. Even if you’re just lurking in the shadows, you might get a cut. I felt like I just got paid for being confused. Not bad!

So, What Did I Learn?

If you’re new to Torn and feeling lost, here’s what I wish someone had told me:

  • Factions = gangs. Join one, but ask questions!
  • Chains = a series of attacks by faction members. Don’t interrupt unless you’re told to.
  • Stealing hits = attacking someone another member was targeting. Big no-no.
  • Faction money = sweet, sweet passive income (sometimes).
  • Torn ≠ Sims. People talk. People plan. People get very serious about their hits.

Final Thoughts

Torn is like a gritty, text-based RPG where you can be a criminal mastermind, a business mogul, or just someone who accidentally steals hits and hides in the gym. It’s confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, it’s addictive.

So if you’re new, don’t worry. We’ve all been there. Ask questions, read the forums, and maybe—just maybe—you won’t be the next Chris who stole someone’s hit.

ChrisRob01 [3938325]

Chapter 2 – War, Wounds, and Who the Hell Hit Me?!

So, I’m level 14 now. I’ve learned how to buy and sell items (yes, I once tried to sell a flower for 10 million—don’t judge me), and I’ve been grinding those Counterfeit DVDs like a bootlegger on a mission. I’m on my way to level 15, dreaming of the day I can finally travel and see the world. Paris? Nah. I’m thinking more like Mexico for some sweet Xanax deals.

The War Returns

Just when I thought I had a handle on things—bam!—another war. But this time, I was ready. I logged in, cracked my knuckles, and typed confidently in the faction chat:

“Hey, I’m ready. Where do I hit? Who do I punch?”

Then I saw the enemy faction.

Level 18. Minimum.
I’m level 14. I’m basically a toddler with a slingshot going up against a squad of MMA fighters.

So I say, “Hey guys, I think I’m too weak for this one.”
And someone replies, “It’s fine.”

Fine?
What does that mean?
Fine like “Don’t worry, we got this”?
Or fine like “You better pull your weight or else”?

I was confused. Again.

The Calm Before the Storm

The war kicks off. Some of our faction members fly out—literally. They hop on planes to other countries to avoid getting attacked. I can’t even travel yet. I’m grounded like a teenager who snuck out past curfew. But I’m hopeful. Level 15 is just around the corner, and then I’ll be jet-setting too.

So I decide to lay low. Let the big boys handle it. I’ll just be here… cheering from the sidelines.

The Call to Arms

Day two. I log in.
860 messages.
I scroll. And scroll. And scroll.
At the bottom, a message from the faction leader:

“Chris, why aren’t you participating in the war?”

I freeze. Like a deer in headlights. Like a puppy caught chewing the couch.

“Sir, my level is too low! I can’t beat them!” I reply, trembling.

He responds:

“We need outside hits. Take a Xan and get ready.”

OK, Sir.
I pop a Xanax (in-game, of course), and suddenly I’m calm, focused, and ready to rumble.

They hand me a new gun and armor. I’m suited up like a budget action hero. The chat is buzzing. People are cheering me on. I’m breathing heavy. Sweat’s dripping down my face. I’m bouncing on my toes like I’m about to step into the ring with Mike Tyson.

The First Round

The leader asks, “Can you do 9 hits?”
Then he says something about “3m” and “timing.”
I nod like I understand. I don’t. But my adrenaline is pumping.

Then I see it.
“Chris, GO!”

I charge in.

  • Hit 1: Level 5. Poor guy didn’t see it coming. Boom. Down.
  • Hit 2: Slightly more dressed. Still no match. One punch. Down.
  • Hit 3: I’m on fire. I grab him by the shoulders, headbutt him like a Scottish bouncer, and leave him twitching on the sidewalk.
  • Hit 4: He grins at me. I don’t like his face. I shoot him in the toe, the ear, and the stomach. Down he goes.
  • Hit 5: I’m feeling invincible. I charge in…

BAM!
Hospitalized.

I scream IRL:

“WHO THE HELL HIT ME?!”

I check the logs.
Co-leader.
Wait… what?

I scroll through the messages.
“Wait Chris!”
“Slow down Chris!”
“REST!”
“CHRIS NOOOOOO!”

Oops.

The Timeout Chair

I crawl out of the hospital, confused and bruised.
“Why did you hit me?” I ask the co-leader.

She replies, “I’m sorry, Chris. I had to. You were going too fast. War is about timing. Every 10 hits need to be coordinated. You were breaking the chain.”

Oh.

So I was like that one guy in a relay race who grabs the baton and just sprints off in the wrong direction.

They benched me. Told me to sit in the crowd and watch the pros.

Enter the Champion: BadBrat

Our faction’s top fighter, BadBrat, steps into the ring. He’s got the swagger of a seasoned warrior and the patience of a monk. He’s eyeing the enemy like a hawk.

The enemy? Let’s call him PunchDaddy69.
Level 100. Muscles on muscles. Probably eats nails for breakfast.

BadBrat knows he has 20 minutes before PunchDaddy69 gets out of the hospital. That means he has to land 9 hits in under 2 minutes each to build the chain and then finish with a knockout punch on PunchDaddy.

The bell rings.

  • Hit 1: Down in 10 seconds.
  • Hit 2: A quick jab, a dodge, uppercut—KO.
  • Hit 3: Doesn’t even get a hit in.
  • Hit 4–8: Fall like dominoes.

Now it’s time.
Hit 9—a warm-up.
Hit 10—PunchDaddy69 is out of the hospital.

They lock eyes.
The chat goes silent.
Even the game seems to pause.

BadBrat vs. PunchDaddy69

The crowd holds its breath.
BadBrat steps forward, fists clenched.
PunchDaddy cracks his knuckles, smirking.

BadBrat feints left, then right—BOOM! A body shot.
PunchDaddy stumbles, but counters with a brutal hook.
BadBrat reels, but he’s not done. He spins, lands a roundhouse kick (don’t ask how, it’s Torn logic), and sends PunchDaddy flying into the ER.

KO. Chain complete. Respect earned.

 

Now, from my side, the war between BadBrat and PunchDaddy69 was… well… slow. I won’t lie. It was exhaustingly slow. Like watching paint dry in a snowstorm. Like a sloth doing yoga. Like a buffering YouTube video on dial-up.

But I get it now—it’s all about timing. Every hit has to be spaced out just right to keep the chain going. It’s not about speed. It’s about strategy.

 

After the chain was done, I got a message:

“Did you see, Chris? Slow and steady wins the race.”

I replied, “Yes, I saw the match. I think I understand it a bit more now.”

 

And I did. I really did. I mean, I still felt bad for totally botching the first chain like a caffeinated squirrel on a sugar rush, but hey—we live, we learn.

 

Next war? I’ll be ready. I’ll ask questions. I’ll wait my turn. I’ll time my hits. And maybe—just maybe—I’ll finally understand how traveling works. That’s my next big challenge.

 

Because if there’s one thing I’ve learned in Torn, it’s this:You don’t have to be the strongest.

You just have to stop hitting people like a maniac.