Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Am I the worlds worst pickpocket?

Started by LukeSkymugger [3839066] on in General Discussion.

20 replies · 509 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 21 / 21 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
21
Discussion span
→
Authority score
52 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
56 / 100
Engagement score
69 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

LukeSkymugger [3839066]

For visibility, I've done loads of other crimes:

  • Bootlegging 100.00
  • Graffiti 100.00
  • Search for Cash 100.00
  • Shoplifting 100.00
  • Burglary 97.41
  • Card Skimming 73.63
  • Racing 15.67
  • Hunting 11.40
  • Reviving 10.69
  • Forgery 1.12
  • Arson 1.05

 

But I can't ever get pickpocket above 5. I only go for the safer targets as detailed in the Wiki post, I've read a few guides too. But no matter what, I eventually hit a crit fail and it wipes my level back to 1 again. I've given up on it twice now, and may just not bother at all but I honestly don't understand what I'm doing wrong :( 

 

Kaedynn [3253015]

Do way  more shoplifting. The CS in all crimes goes above 100 but it's hidden. This should help. Stick with elderly ppl, druggies  and homeless at first when you do pickpocket. Then slowly move to students and young men/women. Leave businessppl, sex workers, thugs, postal, mobsters for way later. Police do only til you get the badge and stop w them and do police way later too. 

BoogalooBoi [3120475]

Look brother, I feel your pain. Went through the same bs when I tried pickpocketing but I was a higher CS than you. My advice would be joining a furniture store for the extra CS gain from thieving crimes and maxing out burglary etc until your natural nerve bar is at least 55-60. Then do super safe pickpockets with boosted CS from the job and you’ll still level it up fast enough. 

Also make sure you’re looking at the targets weight because slim targets are easier. Make sure you’re not trying to pickpocket a muscular hobo or you’ll still fail on average more than you pass at lower levels.

___ [2796429]

Honestly this shit is pissing my the f**k off aswell im level 63 rn everytime i reach anywhere near 66 it f**ks up again

BeardedWinger [3681146]

I have nothing helpful to add, but I will answer your question. The evidence you've provided does, in fact, seem to indicate that you are the world's worst pickpocket. Perhaps lose the vest of jingle bells for a better shot at success. I do concede that failures in Pickpocketing feel awful from the perspective of the lost progress seems so extreme. I used JARVIS mentioned above and I'm at CS: 100 now in that skill. Pickpocket was a miserable crime.

Also, hope you're a better Skymugger than you are a pickpocket. :)

WompLong [3853956]

You have plenty of crime experience. I was able to start pickpocketing with much less crimes, though I haven't finished it.

 

Some targets are more likely to fail especially with a lower crime skill (level of the crime). Also the actions that they are doing can change how difficult they are. Elderly, drunkards, and homeless dudes are going to be your easiest marks that you should farm a bit before you take on the students and young people. Also I think being on the phone or distracted is easier than if they are walking

 

This guide helped me a lot when I started failing a bunch of them: https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=61&t=16358739 

 

Since I read it, I was able to grow my crime skill in that crime relatively quickly. I wanted to go for the rich kids immediately but it is better to wait until like skill 30 to do those

Mentions: [Crimes 2.0] Pickpocketing: An In-Depth Guide

LoveLlama [2867654]

Unlike most crimes, pickpocket gives you the hardest available targets from the beginning.  If you immediately try to hit a cyclist or a Police officer, you will crit fail.

 

Read the guide from Emforus about the different tiers of targets and when to move between them.

 

Use one of the scripts, like Jarvis, for helpful color-coding of difficulties.

 

Pickpocket sucks, no safe targets, basically I just stuck to easy targets until I finished, then cleaned up uniques.  Even over 100 skill crits are easy to come by.

CharmRiver [2334174] Reporter

Not only look at the targets, their condition helps too. Targets on phone, listening to music and distracted are easier to pick pocket than targets that are alert.

AnuragTheSher [3718561]

I've maxed my Pickpocketing CS in 1 month(Approx). 42 Crit fails. 11,210 Total Nerve Spent.

I used Jarvis pickpocket, only pickpocket targets that show 100%, distracted/on phone, Skinny/average. Never go for muscular. I also avoided walking, cycling, running targets just to be safe.

iirc, I switched to pickpocketing targets with 250% when i crossed CS 50. Hope it helps.

Ilmatar [641520]

Pick the pockets of the weak, obese, sickly and outcasts. No one who is healthy or having a good life. Victimize the victims further. Be a proper super predator and community destroyer. 

Hephaestus [3519831]

I feel your pain bro. I was doing all crimes to level 100 in order and pickpocketing felt like pulling teeth.

 

Every time I got even SLIGHTLY close to a reasonable skill, boom, crit fail and -3 levels.

 

I had sold over 6k pickpocketed items like wallets and such and when i finally reached 100 I never touched it again

Jinkoha [3372604]

Pickpocketing is the most unforgiving crime, script will help you figure out the target difficulty. Even distracted targets can give you criticals regularly 

LukeSkymugger [3839066]

I started using the JARVIS script, and only doing the free targets. So far made it back to level 5 without a crit so I'll keep on with it.

 

Thanks for the help everyone!