Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

SPORTS!

Started by SlumGod [3227525] on in Suggestions.

3 replies · 15 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 4 / 4 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
4
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
1
Authority score
25 / 100
Historical score
14 / 100
Story score
32 / 100
Engagement score
36 / 100
SlumGod [3227525]

The Organized Crimes revamp and the display of the sim as the crime plays out reminded me of a sports sim game I used to play. It got me thinking Torn should have sports. I don’t wanna say the name of the game I played but I’m pretty sure it’s still running, probably could reach out repurpose their system to integrate into Torn. So it may not even be that big of a lift workload wise on the devs.

 

I think it would be really popular and add a whole new fun element to the game. There would be plenty of different roles folks could fill. You could be a player, an owner, a coach or even a spectator.

 

People could watch the games and chat while doing so, bringing in a whole new social aspect. Not to mention the playoffs and final games to bring the community together (and potentially fill some glaring gaps in the event calendar).

 

It would give folks a new and deep sub-game to flesh out what Torn offers overall and become a whole source of income through playing, owning or even betting on the games. Not to mention all the different creative ways players could find to profit off of something new like this.

 

I would be willing to work on this if devs thought this was interesting and wanted me to present a more solid action plan for implementation. Or everyone could tell me I’m dumb! Just thought I’d throw it out there.

Elizabeth [2339829]

Or. And just hear me out here. You could go play or watch a sport or a sport game.

 

There are an increasing number of suggestion posts lately that have been trying to turn Torn into something it's not. Torn isn't a TCG, it isn't Madden/FIFA/TWPGA, and it isn't Minecraft. I'm glad that people enjoy those games and want to play more games like them, but there's a difference between wanting more sports games and wanting more games to be sports games. Torn isn't meant to be an "every-game". Glad you want to improve Torn, but my suggestion is to come up with a novel idea or a way to improve what's already here.

 

#chedging

SlumGod [3227525]

Maybe this isn't the answer, but I do think the game could use something that involves and engages the community with itself a bit more frequently and isn't just another "everybody all do this thing for a while" event. Something that people are invested in, talk about, and want to watch but can also be a part of and participate in. And I thought this actually was a good way to do that while staying true to the spirit of the game and it's overall mechanics.

 

Originally I had been working over the idea of something like a battle arena or fighting pit. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized you'd have to do so much work to make the fights actually interesting to watch that I think you'd almost be changing combat itself. Then, the other day, I was watching an OC play out and found myself actually enjoying watching the little dots on the screen and the action play out. Especially because I "knew" those dot as my faction mates.

 

I realized that using this feature would actually be a really great way to solve the battle arena problem, but it couldn't be use for combat because we already have battle stats and having another way that those are implemented for combat to play out wouldn't really make sense and would be confusing.

 

But I figured a sport would be a good fit, and there is preexisting browser based simulator that looks very similar to how the OCs play out. So there's already precendent for this being fun and interesting, and it aligns pretty well with what Torn already is. 

 

I don't think sports teams are really stepping outside the scope of city life. And it would all still be menu naviagtion and simulated events. Basically like jobs mixed with racing but way more fun and engaging for everyone. 

 

Hopefully that clarified that I'm really just talking about using stuff that basically already exists in the game to do something cool, not slap on some new shiny thing that doesn't even make sense because sports.

 

Penetration [2340613]

I think some of what you're suggesting is already in and planned for racing. When I say planned for, there are intended spectator and sponsor type things Ched has looked at, but other developments are being prioritized.

 

So racing is a sport, and it can be spectated live, and there's even special events and it makes forum and newspaper news, even with a special prize, and is pvp.

 

If that's not engaging you, I don't think another sport would.

 

 

Edit: Thumbs down? Da fuq is wrong with you. That's it, done being helpful.