Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

RIP Bobby Cox

Started by DR34M_W34V3R [1886958] on in Sports.

3 replies · 32 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 4 / 4 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
4
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
6
Authority score
7 / 100
Historical score
14 / 100
Story score
27 / 100
Engagement score
44 / 100
DR34M_W34V3R [1886958]

Longtime Atlanta Braves manager

 

from Atlanta Braves X account:

 

We are overcome with emotion on the passing of Bobby Cox, our treasured skipper. Bobby was the best manager to ever wear a Braves uniform. He led our team to 14 straight division titles, five National League pennants, and the unforgettable World Series title in 1995. His Braves managerial legacy will never be matched.

"Bobby was a favorite among all in the baseball community, especially those who played for him. His wealth of knowledge on player development and the intricacies of managing the game were rewarded with the sport's ultimate prize in 2014 - enshrinement into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

"And while Bobby's passion for the game was unparalleled, his love of baseball was exceeded only by his love for his family. It is with the heaviest of hearts that we send our sincerest condolences to his beloved wife, Pam, and their loving children and grandchildren."

 

 

As a longtime Astros fan I always hated the Braves cuz they always won and were a tough opponent - he was one of the best at the time along with Tommy Lasorda and the Dodgers whom we had to get by in the West to make it to face Atlanta or Philly.

 

RIP A LEGEND 

DR34M_W34V3R [1886958]

I was trying to remember the Astros skipper’s name without Googling it and it finally popped into my head last night haha, Bill Virdon.  Turns out he died 4.5 years ago as well, RIP Bill Virdon.

 

He was a good manager but no Bobby Cox.

 

I fell in love with the Astros as an 8 yr old bcs of their rainbow uniforms- at first in color, but then on a nice B&W my dad got from someone at work who was getting rid of it lmao.  I watched the whole 1980 NLCS against the Phillies on it except for the last two innings the Astros blew bcs it was a school night and I was now only nine and my mom made me go to bed hahaha.

 

Woke up the next morning and out the new in the tv to see Astros reliever

Frank LaCorte crying in the dugout - he had given up the series deciding run to the Phillies :’(

 

My uncle attended one of the games and kept score in the official score of in the program and sent it to me along with the ticket stub, it was so cool and I started to learn how to score a game.  He was awesome, used to play catch bare handed and tell me to whip it as hard as I could.  

Man, I miss baseball.  I just can’t enjoy it after my Astros cheated banging on those trash cans.

 

I think MLB ofc has the richest history going back the furthest it still gives me joy remembering the days before steroids went kuckoo 

midalfanger [3134282]

R.I.P BOBBY COX

Ive Never been anything but a Braves fan.

Don't follow sports ball to much anymore  but,I  consider myself  lucky  to have witnessed Bobby's career,.Some of it anyway.

R.I.P BOBBY COX