Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

When does childhood end?

Started by dloxy [4361628] on in General Non-related.

4 replies · 28 views · thread synced · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 5 / 5 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
5
Discussion span
→
People posting
5
Likes on archived posts
5
Authority score
18 / 100
Historical score
16 / 100
Story score
35 / 100
Engagement score
44 / 100
dloxy [4361628]

I think childhood ends when we started realizing that not all adults are to be trusted, when you find out mom isn't truly ok when she says she is, ect. 

 

What do you guys think?

Sweeney_Todd [27468]

If you can't laugh at a fart or knob joke, your life is over...

 

Be young of heart even if you make noises standing up or sitting...

Violence [2603171]

Childhood ending has many liminal rituals or achievements in most societies. 

 

 

In my ethnicity it's around 12 for males when you are able to go to work. 

 

Some of my more traditional cousins fathered children from 14 which I think is ludicrous but they stood by them and still do so there is that, plus it's normal for grandparents to raise the babies so the support network is there too.

 

I was working weekends from 11, I loved it and never missed the chance to do more during school breaks. I'd have happy binned school too but as my mum had to do that she insisted I didn't.

 

Back to other societies and their practices.  We still have age bounded deliniations between child and adult, they are things like driving licence, being allows into adult spaces like pubs without parents along. And obviously being able to buy alcohol. (18 here but loads of places sold to me from 15 onward)

 

Sexual legality from 16 is another milestone as is ability to die for your country. Both before you're allowed to vote. 

 

Biologically of course we know much more about development of brain and bones not finishing until mid to late 20s.

 

Imagionatively, assuming a person has an imagination, magical thinking is a delightful bit of childhood that's snuffed out by reality. 

 

The proverb "given me the boy til he is seven and I'll give you the man" is very interesting from a child trauma and ACE point of view.