Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Text-ONLY option

Started by Odd [1425669] on in General Discussion.

82 replies · 1.12k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 83 / 83 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
83
Discussion span
→
Authority score
61 / 100
Historical score
41 / 100
Story score
63 / 100
Engagement score
78 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Dekloren [900534] ×6 dunmugmeh [538353] ×4 Odd [1425669] ×4 McDallas [14757] ×3 Bleppacus [73828] ×3 Baka [1183749] ×3 Noc [1662321] ×3 Jobby [1640111] ×2 Player 1734270 [1734270] ×2 Harmless [7105] ×1 QJedi [32586] ×1 RatedR [72498] ×1

Odd [1425669]

Just wondering how many people would choose a text-only interface, if such an option was available, for whatever reason.
KPCSlor [1557404]

The new city finds mini game makes me fear for the future of torn. Text based is what makes this great and opening the mini game pandora's box takes away from the core value of Torn.
HABLU [1444709]

completely agree. we need a simpler text only version .something like "old school" thing. when i'm on mobile i want to do train/drug/crime in 2 mins , not like 10mins that i have to do now with all these drop downs and more clickings on mobile.
Robb-Stark [1075937]

it would have been great for torn 2.0 to be released and let that have respo and the rest of the shit on it then if people wanted to stay old school torn stay on here if not go to new version
Robb-Stark [1075937]
MmM [256222]I prefer by far the text only interface.

Simple and reliable

rated plus cause i like the no capital m better then the other 2 :)

Mentions: MmM [256222]

Scuba [512975]

Whether it's for mobile or desktop the main answer seems to be a huge loss of faith in the new Torn...

I frankly agree though, even though I like a few of the updated graphics I think we traveled from Text based to completely image-reliant. Even if we wanted to use a bit of creative and clever CSS3/ HTML5 to spice it up with low page sizes it would "look" good while retaining its core idea (text based rpg).
CatHead [1581564]

I would have done in the past. But, to be honest- there are not enough descriptions to make it interesting for me. A text only version would seem bland now, especially if they didn't meat out the text.

I like the level of pictures, I was against the idea of more images and graphics but honestly, I don't mind it at all now.
Odd [1425669]
kpcslor [1557404]The new city finds mini game makes me fear for the future of torn. Text based is what makes this great and opening the mini game pandora's box takes away from the core value of Torn.
Never thought of that, but you might be horribly right. I wouldn't be surprised if future missions included "searching the map" for a given item.

Mentions: KPCSlor [1557404]

mistergeJJ [1795754]

I voted for text only, because I play mostly while I'm at work and I'd rather not be caught looking at something with a bunch of graphics that looks like it may be a game.
evanarmagast [512496]

just so we're clear, torn is still a text based rpg. you know how you constantly have to read what is happening? that's it being text based. text based, in no way, means that there aren't any graphics.

i think if you stripped torn down to an entirely text layout, it would be boring. also, i don't see how it takes people any longer to navigate the new system. it's really not that crazy of a change. i can understand some people's complaints about not knowing when their drug after effects were up, or when they had an event, but to say it takes you dramatically longer to click just a few more times? seems a little dramatic.
Times [1734270]

My issue with all the changes is how slow the pages load now. If they can figure out how to get the pages to load faster I don't see any issue with the changes. If they can't get pages loading faster then I would prefer a text only version so I can play faster and not have to constantly have to reload pages because they did not load right.
Nirv [438955]

I enjoy text interface better because it's harder for people to see that you're playing a game and not doing your work at the office.
Raiyvin [1585789]

For those using screenreaders or voice over on the apple systems and rely 100% on the use of that to play a text game torn is really no longer going to be a game that they will be able to play. Even after a week of fixes there is very little that can be done using a screenreader on Torn and city finds well absolutely impossible without sight..
McDallas [14757]
RatedR [72498]yes, i would.

this is supposed to be a textbased game anyway, is it not...?

kingdom of loathing is a text based game, this is no longer quite that simple.

Mentions: RatedR [72498]

dunmugmeh [538353]

In a ideal world a text browser game would be black text on a white background. No graphics at all including on profiles and forum signatures.