15 replies · 325 views · thread synced · 5 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:16 / 16 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
16
Discussion span
→
People posting
13
Likes on archived posts
31
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
55 / 100
Historical score
37 / 100
Story score
63 / 100
Engagement score
61 / 100
Most-liked replies
mutley[588278]Moderator
· 5 likes · Well, here's what I have to say after 2 weeks of using RESPO... First of all, the desktop site looks good. It'll take getting used to but it's definitely an improvement. HOWEVER, what used to be a "text based game" …
I wish to take a minute to discuss what many think to call "Mobile Torn". Or in this case, what it is not...
Before RESPO there were two sites for Torn. one "Mobile" the other "Full". You would find these links next to your log-in information. At that time there was a difference.
Those day are sadly over. We are all now on what I'm calling "Torn Skinny" for after RESPO, Torn "Mobile" and "Full" no longer exist. We are all playing the same torn now.
Now by this time you may be thinking that I should be put out to pasture. This old Bovine has gone to seed. However I can show you.....
The next time you have the opportunity to log in to Torn with a PC all you need to do is make the browser window width small. (skinny) What you see there is "Mobile" Torn.
For players that have not seen what mobile look like you may have a better understanding of some of the troubles some are having with this update.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure. But RESPO stands for responsive i.e it responds to the screen. (I'm aware there's issues with massive 'fatty' screens.)
I like your calling it "Torn Skinny". But simply putting Torn into skinny mode on my computer doesn't show me the problem of using torn on the mobile. One of the major complaints is the lack of energy, happy and nerve bars and they're there when you make your browser smaller.
Even on my mobile, I don't have the same issues that I've read about. I don't find navigation too hard nor clicking to see the bars too annoying. I don't use my mobile very much for Torn though, so perhaps I'm not in the best position to talk about it.
If you read the announcements, they've proposed a newer look for mobile torn. But maybe that would render the phrase 'Torn Skinny' useless, I hope that makes people really consider their vote. :P
CatHead, it may be your browser, but it works when I make it Skinny.
Just click the "not maximized" button and give it another try, then if it still doesn't seem like mobile, take a screenie and post it so we can see what you mean.
If only it ACTUALLY WORKED BETTER when I made it skinny, it would be a massive improvement. :( Someone said they get it to load as all text that way. I'm jealous...
The functionality is still different. No emulator or "skinny trick" will be able to show you how it will then actually work on mobile devices. Nice to look at the way it changes size, but I've notice this still to be different than on the actual devices.
daphne [14757]The functionality is still different. No emulator or "skinny trick" will be able to show you how it will then actually work on mobile devices. Nice to look at the way it changes size, but I've notice this still to be different than on the actual devices.
Depending on the device, of course. some screens are bigger then others. Some OS on a mobile device is not compatible with the new updates here. I just attempt to show here "what the other half sees" ..so to speak.
Ah ok. They won't really be able to help with the issues if they don't actually use a mobile device themselves. It's a nice gesture, but not sure it's useful. Worse even if they start complaining about the layout and functionality based on their desktop browser minimizing experience, and not actual mobile experience. Still nice enough. :)
I have stated this problem earlier. Yeah it's a cool trick. But hey it put a huge strain on mobile data when you have to download many elements that won't even show on the 'skinny' version.
Before respo, I always played on the mobile version even when I am on PC. It was light and fast and get things done.
Nowadays, it's a pain in the a** even to log in from a PC. My country's internet connection are pretty poor. Many of my friends are leaving due to this problem. Maybe ched wants to kick us out.
Oh yeah I like the new layouts, desings and everything. Just this tiny slow problem.
Well, here's what I have to say after 2 weeks of using RESPO...
First of all, the desktop site looks good. It'll take getting used to but it's definitely an improvement. HOWEVER, what used to be a "text based game" is now turning into something with flashy images. For me and many others who play, my internet speed is less than 1Mbps. So using the site with all these new images everywhere is an absolute pain in the ass. Loading times have massively increased.
The mobile version is poor. In fact, probably the least user friendly thing I've ever seen. Usually if I'm really busy IRL I wouldn't mind quickly logging in on my mobile to Train. But now there's no chance, I'd rather save myself the stress. I mean, come on... to buy a Xanax and train takes at least 2 minutes. Whereas before it would be less than 30 seconds.I just don't get it. The old TORN mobile was absolutely fine. Why not just do that sort of thing again? It was fast, user friendly and easy. What more do you want?
It is said that "you no longer have to zoom in like the old Torn mobile" which is correct. But I'd take zooming in over using this new one any day. In fact you can eliminate the zoom by setting your mobile browser to be zoomed in at a particular percentage for a particular website.
This leads onto the bazaar issue, why on earth is item market a 1 click buy and a bazaar isn't? That's diabolical. (Bazaars NEVER load which makes it even more painful).
While all these issues are annoying, I absolutely understand that it's early days and things are likely to change. But, I'm just highlighting the things that have annoyed me the most. Hopefully I'm not the only one and changes can be made.
There's definitely more good than bad with RESPO as a whole, some of the new features added are fantastic and make playability so much easier. But, as I said, some things really need to change.
As a non mobile user I finally understand the crap you guys are dealing with. Sorry for your loss. Torn skinny isn't all fun and games for us PC users either.
Seriously tho I really prefer old mobile torn than respo mobile torn , half of the things dont work, hard to import any pics/gfx and its a hard struggle to get around the place!