Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Steam

Started by CatHead [1581564] on in Gaming.

5 replies · 66 views · thread synced · 12 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 6 / 6 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
6
Discussion span
→
People posting
6
Likes on archived posts
3
Authority score
7 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
37 / 100
Engagement score
45 / 100
CatHead [1581564]

So, I'm confused about how Steam exists. How can they offer games for so cheap and still compete? Why can't high street stores match them? Will they put other forms of shops out of business? How does downloading games on the consoles (PS4 and Xbox) compare?

Then there's the Steam console that I heard the were planning... Is that still happening? Would it be worth buying what is essentially a computer with a steam operating system and fancy smanshy controllers?

I've tried to join Steam a few times. The first time I joined without buying anything but even the free games smashed my computer. Then I downloaded it again with the intention of downloading South Park and they wouldn't accept my card payments because I'm living in a foreign country (and I couldn't use my card from this country because I can't write in the language). So I guess I'm destined not to be able to use Steam. I don't really like pirating so I'd quite like to be able to use it. Perhaps I'll be able to set it up this summer.

So yeah. Discussion about the logistics (and merits) of Steam.
dunmugmeh [538353]

web stores like steam exist because it is good business for publishers. there are no media costs at all for them.
the low prices are possible because the publisher wants to keep the money rolling in for 'old' games some money is better than no sale at all especially because the costs for them would be 0.
say the publisher has a game they released in 2007 they could get hundreds/thousands of sales they wouldnt otherwise have got if they put it on steam for $5 or whatever.
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

On the last day of the steam summer sale 8 million people were logged into Steam at the same time.. If only half the people bought games for 99 cents that would be almost 4 mil. Plus steam has their fingers deep up into the gaming community. I hope Steam, humble bundle and Origin put Gamestop out of business. They're thieves.
Gungrave [470221]

Once a game has met its development and production costs is when you will start seeing deals given out and typically steam is the first service to get these offers because it has the largest userbase of PC gamers compared to its competitors and they charge developers/producers a smaller fee for selling their game on steam. So if you think about the fact that if they offer the game at a discounted price and they have a couple thousand copies sold in a short time which can help give them some money for overhead and funding for their next game along with a little profit to grow the business.