Totally agree. I have recently been playing torn more and more on my smartphone (as have many others), these new design with many images is eating away at my mobile data plan plus it's slower than if it was text only.
Text-ONLY option
Started by Odd [1425669] on in General Discussion.
Posts archived: 83 / 83 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Totally agree. I have recently been playing torn more and more on my smartphone (as have many others), these new design with many images is eating away at my mobile data plan plus it's slower than if it was text only.
Well, our new choice is even more graphic-laden, although now it's called "buttons", and in theory it should save some ten-second pageloads. I thought Ched's attitude about it all was pretty funny though. I kept waiting for him to say "I told you you would enjoy it, now enjoy it you jerks! Just quit complaining! I wasted a bunch of money on this!"
Do you think the person doing the code will figure out how to do some uber-basic image caching so we don't have to download all the buttons we don't use, each and every time we load a page or complete an action?
Common-sense alternatives would include having the images saved in the device's memory, or you know, using text like the suggestions have been, or maybe offering to allow us to choose which buttons appear on our login page, or offering a "light" version of torn which allows us to log in, train, do crimes, check events/messages, use items, and check the markets.... all of those would probably save way too much trouble and could be coded too quickly and easily to satisfy.
Then again, what do I know, I can't actually find out where to do a refill yet, when I click the button that I think should take me there, I wind up trying to fly to Japan.
QJedi [32586]Then again, what do I know, I can't actually find out where to do a refill yet, when I click the button that I think should take me there, I wind up trying to fly to Japan.
lol. Click on info, then use on your points. That will take you to the usage page. Click refill, click yes then gym (assuming you want to train) xD
OT: As said before, text-only will greatly improve load times and minimize data usage
Down with images xD
Mentions: QJedi [32586]
Damn, I wish that worked. It tried to send me to japan last time, and it also sent me to the item market, apparently to shop for stuff. It works just fine on a normal screen, but not so much on my Stratosphere.
Has anyone asked Ched if he would consider a text based option? A setting where we can turn off the images and get a plain text game?
Times [1734270]Has anyone asked Ched if he would consider a text based option? A setting where we can turn off the images and get a plain text game?
I doubt he would engage in such a debate, so I just hope he sees this thread and takes the votes into account.
Mentions: Times [1734270]
Horror [1425669]Times [1734270]Has anyone asked Ched if he would consider a text based option? A setting where we can turn off the images and get a plain text game?
I doubt he would engage in such a debate, so I just hope he sees this thread and takes the votes into account.
if so, keep doing bump until he saw ^_^
Mentions: Odd [1425669] · Times [1734270]
Baka [1183749]Dekloren [900534]We don't play this text based game for pretty graphics. We play it for the simplicity. 2 clicks could get you anywhere you needed to go and 3 to get anything you wanted. Now you need to click more, look more, scroll more, and scroll back up.
All they have done is made the game more time consuming. I know we asked for more things to do, but by that, we didn't mean taking longer to do things.
I don't understand how this was beta tested for months by staff and committee, and they couldn't fix/see all of the problems we have now. It's just mind blowing how they released something awful like this.
This
Noc [1662321]Baka [1183749]Dekloren [900534]We don't play this text based game for pretty graphics. We play it for the simplicity. 2 clicks could get you anywhere you needed to go and 3 to get anything you wanted. Now you need to click more, look more, scroll more, and scroll back up.
All they have done is made the game more time consuming. I know we asked for more things to do, but by that, we didn't mean taking longer to do things.
I don't understand how this was beta tested for months by staff and committee, and they couldn't fix/see all of the problems we have now. It's just mind blowing how they released something awful like this.
This
This
Mentions: Baka [1183749] · Dekloren [900534] · Noc [1662321]
I nearly wet my pants I just click the city map with my mobile and yeah wow how retarded
Suneo [154538]Noc [1662321]Baka [1183749]Dekloren [900534]We don't play this text based game for pretty graphics. We play it for the simplicity. 2 clicks could get you anywhere you needed to go and 3 to get anything you wanted. Now you need to click more, look more, scroll more, and scroll back up.
All they have done is made the game more time consuming. I know we asked for more things to do, but by that, we didn't mean taking longer to do things.
I don't understand how this was beta tested for months by staff and committee, and they couldn't fix/see all of the problems we have now. It's just mind blowing how they released something awful like this.
This
This
this ps suneo sucks!
Mentions: Baka [1183749] · Dekloren [900534] · Noc [1662321] · Suneo [154538]
It seems to me that I'm consuming a lot more data-allowance than previously, and I'm profoundly unhappy about that.
Tested: 14.5 MB just to land, train, and look over one forum-page.
Simply sending a short IGM in flight appears to be impossible without having to groan through several pages of features I am not interested in.
One term - functional elegance. Like a Jeep of WWII-fame, not one penny expended on looks.
It is possible that things will get better in the near future, but sic rebus stantibus, I will be retiring for the 2nd time.
I have enjoyed this game a great deal, but as it stands, it will join the heap of stuff I have ditched because of the urge to 'improve'. The 2 games that I continue to play have been around as long as Torn ( indeed longer ) - and have carefully avoided the slightest attempts to improve upon stark functional simplicity ( and yet remain commercially very succesful ).
No, people like to think they'd like these sort of options but in reality their idea of "text only" is nothing like what "text only" actually is.
mat [952164]No, people like to think they'd like these sort of options but in reality their idea of "text only" is nothing like what "text only" actually is.
People just want to play Zork...
Mentions: Mat-Senpai [952164]
bogie [148747]People just want to play Zork...
[Zork/Torn] Zork rules ! The use of imagination, wonder, random city click finds, find surprizes, find puzzles, chaining and faction wars in the game is what makes Torn and Zork great! Bring back random city (non map) click finds, increase the amount of surprizes, twists and turns and the use of imagination, prerelease the new attacking system and multi faction/player to player wars to make the game soar!
[image: static.gamesradar.com]
Mentions: bogie [148747]
I just loved the fast gameplay, ease-of-use, and simplicity. Those are the reasons I play a game like this. Well, they WERE the reasons...
With respect man. I am one who prefer text only but after some serious thought, the game will still be attracted with text alone?
I not a guy who prefer eye popping things, but seriously now I find RESPO awesome after a couple of weeks of playing
I am probably in the minority here who stopped playing Torn on my mobile long ago. Now I only ever play torn on my laptop whilst at work or at home with nothing to do. I no longer make any special effort to try and log in to train or do crimes or attack.
Torn has changed massively since I first started playing. I expect it to continue changing. Realistically it has moved away from the days we all remember and want back. It will not go back to that way. Sorry people, no matter how many threads you make like this, no matter how many of you leave, the game will continue to evolve, become more interactive and less text based.
I wouldn't be surprised if in 12-18 months time you see more integration with facebook, or proper mobile apps for it. Simply as this is the way the industry is moving.
The days of text based browser games are gone. Time for people to accept it and make a decision on whether to embrace it, or slowly retire. I've opted to slowly retire.
by retire you mean rocking chair nakedness and alcohol right? if so im game!
Noc [1662321]by retire you mean rocking chair nakedness and alcohol right? if so im game!
No i mean beach watching women in bikini's and in your case alcohol...
Mentions: Noc [1662321]