Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Micro transaction ?

Started by E14-SOLIDER [430960] on in Gaming.

33 replies · 189 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 34 / 34 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
34
Discussion span
→
Authority score
10 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
40 / 100
Engagement score
64 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

E14-SOLIDER [430960] ×12 dunmugmeh [538353] ×10 CravenTHC [1569996] ×5 GirlFriday [570368] ×2 Herodotus [1670169] ×1 maledict [1677916] ×1

E14-SOLIDER [430960]

I hate them as I see it is pointless and in some games paying to cheat, I rather play countless hours to unlock something then instead of paying lets say £1 to unlock the very same item, sure it maybe be just £1 but it ruins that buzz you get from knowing that you worked hard and spent hours to unlock that certain in game item.

Dead space, TC division and few other games uses those transaction to unlock new things.

What do you think are the micro transaction ruining the experience or it makes no difference ?

CravenTHC [1569996]

They definitely ruin the experience for me. I have played games like this in the past, but I will never patronize them ever again. Pay to play/subscription based games are one thing, but when special items or bonuses can be bought, and a "winning" class emerges among the players, the game is essentially dead.

E14-SOLIDER [430960]
CravenTHC [1569996]

They definitely ruin the experience for me. I have played games like this in the past, but I will never patronize them ever again. Pay to play/subscription based games are one thing, but when special items or bonuses can be bought, and a "winning" class emerges among the players, the game is essentially dead.

this makes the game worthless first you pay the full game price then you have to pay more to get certain guns or items , it's like they are trying to milk the gamers out of more money.

TC division apparently you would have to pay extra to get more bag slots

Mentions: CravenTHC [1569996]

CravenTHC [1569996]

I wasn't aware "The Division" would feature micro-transactions. Prior to this thread it was on my short list of games to buy this year.

CravenTHC [1569996]
E14-SOLIDER [430960]
CravenTHC [1569996]

I wasn't aware "The Division" would feature micro-transactions. Prior to this thread it was on my short list of games to buy this year.

yeah the article is on gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-division-dev-talks-delay-microtransactions-and-why-it-s-current-gen-only/1100-6420684/

Bag slots would be a thing that if you really want to have everything in your bag all of the equipment at all times. Maybe it's not practical, but it doesn't really give you an advantage over other gamers. Some things require time in the game and some people don't want to invest time; they want the shortcut. So we're looking at those types of trades."

I'm not defending what they're attempting here, but to be honest I'm at least going to keep an open mind about this. Sometimes these things can be properly balanced, and as long as they keep a reasonable balance to it, like Torn does, then it won't become a pay to win scenario.

Make it reasonable for the schmo that just wants to save a little time since he has real world obligations, make it unreasonable for the hardcore guys that are intending to play the game for 40 hours a week. That sounds somewhat balanced, but I'm certainly skeptical about execution. We shall see.

Mentions: CravenTHC [1569996] · E14-SOLIDER [430960]

E14-SOLIDER [430960]
CravenTHC [1569996]
E14-SOLIDER [430960]
CravenTHC [1569996]

I wasn't aware "The Division" would feature micro-transactions. Prior to this thread it was on my short list of games to buy this year.

yeah the article is on gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-division-dev-talks-delay-microtransactions-and-why-it-s-current-gen-only/1100-6420684/
Bag slots would be a thing that if you really want to have everything in your bag all of the equipment at all times. Maybe it's not practical, but it doesn't really give you an advantage over other gamers. Some things require time in the game and some people don't want to invest time; they want the shortcut. So we're looking at those types of trades."

I'm not defending what they're attempting here, but to be honest I'm at least going to keep an open mind about this. Sometimes these things can be properly balanced, and as long as they keep a reasonable balance to it, like Torn does, then it won't become a pay to win scenario.

Make it reasonable for the schmo that just wants to save a little time since he has real world obligations, make it unreasonable for the hardcore guys that are intending to play the game for 40 hours a week. That sounds somewhat balanced, but I'm certainly skeptical about execution. We shall see.

in some sense what you say is true.

Gaming requires time but if you have no time to play then you really shouldnt be gaming plus why pay extra for more bag slots? im guessing it would be either like COD where you have I think 5 slots to customize then you pay extra for 10 more

Mentions: CravenTHC [1569996] · E14-SOLIDER [430960]

GirlFriday [570368]

I think it depends on what they're selling. Micro transactions that are for items that don't give you an advantage over other players is fine. And micro transactions allow those who can't afford to pay a subscription fee to play for free.

E14-SOLIDER [430960]
GirlFriday [570368]I think it depends on what they're selling. Micro transactions that are for items that don't give you an advantage over other players is fine. And micro transactions allow those who can't afford to pay a subscription fee to play for free.

then that kills the whole meaning free to play if you have to pay for a decent guns or any item right?

Mentions: GirlFriday [570368]

GirlFriday [570368]
E14-SOLIDER [430960]
GirlFriday [570368]I think it depends on what they're selling. Micro transactions that are for items that don't give you an advantage over other players is fine. And micro transactions allow those who can't afford to pay a subscription fee to play for free.

then that kills the whole meaning free to play if you have to pay for a decent guns or any item right?

If you have to pay for decent guns, then yes. But I said for items that don't give you an advantage over others. Pay-to-win is bad.

Mentions: E14-SOLIDER [430960] · GirlFriday [570368]

-Psychopath- [1538261]

Pay to win is indeed bad for those who don't want to pay, or have the money. But it's spreading everywhere. You can do it on any game like this and on many apps. You just have to accept that you wont be the best x)
Plornt [1799359]

To be honest I really dislike any sort of DLC which is created and planned whilst the game is being created. I feel like DLC should be limited to actual expansion packs that add a ton of new core content for it to be considered a new game in its own right.

Microtransactions on iOS/android games etc I dont really have an issue with simply because its somewhat expected of them and devs of those sorts of games cant get away with charging anything more than £1 for a game. I personally would rather they didn't have them but meh.

Things I have a real issue with is pay to win, just sucks and makes you feel they designed the entire game around the idea of generating money (other than people buying the game in the first place). Gives them an incentive to remove content so people can pay extra for stuff that should have been in the game anyway.




Herodotus [1670169]

Bumping largely because I was about to make a thread on this topic.

The most irritating thing about micro transactions is how often they are required to progress at all in a game. This effectively turns a "Free" game into one costly enough to rival many of the best "real" alternatives. $5 (in the rare occasion upgrades are that cheap) shouldn't get me a monstrous advantage over someone who has been busting their butt.

As a stepparent, the mere presence of this in so many apps makes it hard for me to let the kids play a game casually; even with parental controls off, the last thing I want to deal with are requests for money for a little game upgrade. When I play, I'm nervous that I'll spend money when I didn't mean to.

Torn manages to do things right here. Although donator status is a great asset, it can not only be bought ingame, but merely buying DPs is never going to produce enough wealth to be particularly noteworthy.

"Another massive, established game" has been ruined for me largely due to the implementation of real world tradin--- I mean, "Legitimate Gold Buying". We all know games that were that way from the get go, but for an established community to be sucked into that mess is disgusting. Especially when you consider everything Jagex did to bust RWT in the first place.
E14-SOLIDER [430960]
Herodotus [1670169]Bumping largely because I was about to make a thread on this topic.

The most irritating thing about micro transactions is how often they are required to progress at all in a game. This effectively turns a "Free" game into one costly enough to rival many of the best "real" alternatives. $5 (in the rare occasion upgrades are that cheap) shouldn't get me a monstrous advantage over someone who has been busting their butt.

As a stepparent, the mere presence of this in so many apps makes it hard for me to let the kids play a game casually; even with parental controls off, the last thing I want to deal with are requests for money for a little game upgrade. When I play, I'm nervous that I'll spend money when I didn't mean to.

Torn manages to do things right here. Although donator status is a great asset, it can not only be bought ingame, but merely buying DPs is never going to produce enough wealth to be particularly noteworthy.

"Another massive, established game" has been ruined for me largely due to the implementation of real world tradin--- I mean, "Legitimate Gold Buying". We all know games that were that way from the get go, but for an established community to be sucked into that mess is disgusting. Especially when you consider everything Jagex did to bust RWT in the first place.

thats what I hate you could end up spending more then what the game is worth

Mentions: Herodotus [1670169]

beans_ [174079]

Not sure how late to the party I am but you're totally wrong on most accounts when it comes to micro transactions. As a games designer I've had to study a lot about Free to play models as with self publishing IP's (mobile/tablet games) micro transactions are where we get paid from!

There are countless games where micro transactions have worked so well beyond belief and have not effected the game in anyway. Look at League of Legends, the most popular game in the world completely free! They only offer Champion Skins, Ward Skins, Icons and a few boosts for money as well as gifting. This model is a proven fact that there doesn't have to be pay to win as you are literally buying vanity items.

Another example is Path of Exile, you literally only pay for aesthetic items such as weapon effects and foot steps. There's some other things like Guild inventory slots etc but they are not game changing in the slightest.

Smaller self published games have a different kind of micro transaction in the way of time management and ad removal which are the most common, they are the least bit game breaking and you will find that almost every player will pay like £1 to remove ads from games.

Simply saying you hate them and they ruin games is a pointless argument, yes if the designers have implemented a system where you pay for much better items than normal players get (especially if normal players can't get these items at all off their own back) then it's true but it's a bad model the designers have implemented and cannot be applied to all games with micro transactions in.

Here is a great video on good and bad F2P models, please watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhz9OXy86a0
-Ag3nt- [1196263]
CravenTHC [1569996]They definitely ruin the experience for me. I have played games like this in the past, but I will never patronize them ever again. Pay to play/subscription based games are one thing, but when special items or bonuses can be bought, and a "winning" class emerges among the players, the game is essentially dead.

The story of call of duty

#end thread

Haha

Mentions: CravenTHC [1569996]

ScarlettJ [325580]

Makes no difference. A lot of games that use this option is because they're free to play games and they need this to help keep the servers up and running. Also some people cannot spend thousands of hours on a game and if the game is RNG heavy the chances of them getting everything they need or want is highly unlikely.

The option is there for a reason and I'm for it. The only time I do not like the option is when it strictly gives players who pay something that a player who isn't paying cannot get, because that just makes the game "pay2win" assuming that said items you bought are stronger than anything you can find in the game.

So long as whatever it is can be found in game or its just something cosmetic, I see no problem with it. Like, I've spent 600$ on League Of Legends, I could have just played the game without ever spending any money since all you can buy in League is skins which do nothing to stats or anything except change how said champion looks, that and champions which can also be unlocked by earning IP through playing the game.
dunmugmeh [538353]

Ive spent a few hundred £ on a couple of facebook game :P

I dont have to spend anymore now though because my characters can get the stuff i want without real money now :P

If you have a addictive personality stay away from facebook games.
E14-SOLIDER [430960]
dunmugmeh [538353]Ive spent a few hundred £ on a couple of facebook game :P

I dont have to spend anymore now though because my characters can get the stuff i want without real money now :P

If you have a addictive personality stay away from facebook games.

LOL why would you do that

Mentions: dunmugmeh [538353]

dunmugmeh [538353]
E14-SOLIDER [430960]
dunmugmeh [538353]Ive spent a few hundred £ on a couple of facebook game :P

I dont have to spend anymore now though because my characters can get the stuff i want without real money now :P

If you have a addictive personality stay away from facebook games.

LOL why would you do that

I dont know i cant explain why :P

I have probably spent a few hundred £ on this game as well i have lost track :P


Mentions: dunmugmeh [538353] · E14-SOLIDER [430960]