If you know what it is and love it then get your steamy self steampunkafied and if you dont well then it is all the old modern new future and more styles of life from the dirt to the sky its all things mixed together and ussaually preety badassed in a rustice gold copper steel metal iron designs
Steampunk
Started by Beowolf55555 [1863010] on in Hobbies & Interests.
About this thread
Posts archived: 21 / 21 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 21
- Discussion span
- →
- Authority score
- 9 / 100
- Historical score
- 20 / 100
- Story score
- 39 / 100
- Engagement score
- 57 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Mentioned in this thread
Beowolf55555 [1863010] ×1
If you know what it is and love it then get your steamy self steampunkafied and if you dont well then it is all the old modern new future and more styles of life from the dirt to the sky its all things mixed together and ussaually preety badassed in a rustice gold copper steel metal iron designs
Have you noticed that there really is no steampunk in this game some yes a little but not much i mean all i really would want is a banner for steampunk or something small like that anyone else in agreeance there if so please do say so and if not then still say so and discuss for pointfull and pointless good-terible fun
So you would be happy if there were a banner for steampunk on the site?
Would this banner just say "steampunk" on it?
Well you see I mean the name banners how they are designed to be shown off something like that would be cool. But now I am low level so idk whats instored for me yet still trying to figure it all out but if there were different clothing styles for fun like if I find a top hat im keeping it no mater what type of deal
Beowolf55555 [1863010]Have you noticed that there really is no steampunk in this game some yes a little but not much i mean all i really would want is a banner for steampunk or something small like that anyone else in agreeance there if so please do say so and if not then still say so and discuss for pointfull and pointless good-terible fun
What about the table top rpg 'Tephra'? Does that count?
Mentions: Beowolf55555 [1863010]
what do you mean table top wait you literaly mean table top dont you I am sorry Im refering to Torn itselfg needs a bit of steampunk But not heard of that specific game though so if it can be described as steampunk then yes if not then no
Steampunk Does not neccasaraly mean greas and gadgets with grey brown fog but is usually asociated with it Someone could make a nice shiny steampunk world and it be nice such as the calm begining gameplay of bioshock or mabey the game fable which i do most certaintly count or you can go the good old fashion way With the game called the District i beleave that is it it is a playstation only game and is undoubtly steampunke style and is concidered a very steampunk game
if you post ypu shall get a response unless it is unneeded such as this on but still post and discuss i need something to keep me a bit more busy
Well, I could try going into some detail about Tephra, but it'll be kinda awkward.
A few key notes.
Only 1 book needed (and only 1 supplement published with a few downloadable pdfs).
Instead of the standard d20 for its core dice mechanic, it uses the d12 to keep with the clockwork theme.
The combat also takes on a more cinematic feel in that the GM(game master) can fudge the numbers for letting the PCs(player characters) have a win in a tough fight.
The world is a purely fictional/fantasy world instead of an alt-earth. However, the creators say the game can be easily changed around so that it could be alt-earth, post-apocalyptic, etc.
With regards to the art, the vast majority, about 90%+ is monochrome/black&white with shades of gray. Sometime this is played to good effect, while other times (such as for the maps) it causes the quality to suffer.
It's a bit to.... chaotic for my tastes. I can't run the game without well defined enemies such as clockwork spiders with say 8hp instead of however much hp you think they should have this time around or deal however damage you think they should instead of set amounts.
its table top as in terain maps with buildings and figures or as in played (preferably i chose this since i make layered maps of worlds and yes it does take a while but they always look so ... glorious in the end) got a drawn map on grid paper or something similar then ether sketch in letters or use figures to mark locations
Its like d&d or pathfinder, but without the miniatures.... or the tiles....or the trade-mark/product-line props....or novels. Tephra was originally a kickstarter project that quickly met its goals so since its a relatively new start up idk how much they had planned for future content updates or products.
That being said, the creators say in the book you don't have to use the setting they give you & could make/draw your own with your own races, bonuses etc. so long as it kept the steampunk feel and the big d12 mechanics stuff. Personally, I think that a GM's homebrew tephra setting would probably have just as much work & effort, if not more-so than what they put in with regards to world history, politics, religions, design, flora&fauna, etc.
so its a table top correct just very very mapless so far if thats so how does the caimpaign work at all or quest which ever one prefers depending on length and depth ...ect... but sound like a genuine idea of a good game just brand new and under development other than that it sounds sound
also i like to make a comment on the fact that this is not a small private chat thing its an open information hub on steampunk iteams and more like if you know when a steampunk convension is please post ALSO a great book if your into reading is Ready Player One this book is fanouminol a word i cant spell good luck pernouncing it (sorry) id consider it to be a very Light whieghted side of what is considered steampunk for its centerd around every single game youve ever wanted to play
Yeah, pretty mapless. A lot of it is descriptive storytelling of the environment.
Something like:
'The gaslights flicker along the sides of the poorly lit streets, illuminating the signs of shops to draw in the late-night customer to a safe envrion but not extend that safety to the streets and alleyways just a few yards beyond their bright glow'
(after having made a roll)
'A dash of movement catches your eye, 30ft away you see the glint of light reflecting off of a cracked surface about eye-level. It's dark, so you can't see much, but the glint moves and disappears quickly down a nearby alley who or whatever it was knowing that you had seen it.'
Or perhaps.
'After months trapped aboard the ship, the steam-liner finally docks on the jungle continent of Amacog*(made up on the spot/placeholder name). The diary of the dead professor says that from the port city of Saltsick*, says that the ruins lie about about 80 miles away through treacherous and mountainous terrain. And somewhere, either there or in the jungle in between you know you'll find the man that killed your lover and the professor for the map to the ruins.
For combat, its normally a 1inx1in square grid, with each grid representing approx. 5ft by 5ft. the battle maps/grids can be drawn in much or little detail as desired from a top-down view, or you could take a purely descriptive approach with some relatively vague ranges such as short, medium, long, close. It's been a while since I last read the rule-book and I don't have much DMing experience to be good at that kind of description.
It does sound good, they even have rules for steam-punk mecha and clock-work prosthetics, as well as magic though they call it 'bio-flaux' and its more genetic manipulation. I'm a little worried about the economy though. Basically there's a stat that lets you build stuff for yourself for free(such as a mecha), but you can also buy parts and mechs as well and between the costs of that stuff, the rewards given for quests seemed too low, I think the level cap for players is 12, and as a result of a mix of those things my suspension of disbelief got pretty strained. I mean build a giant steam-powered robot out of junk for free + upkeep or buy one(or the parts needed) for a lot of money and still need to provide upkeep.... Maybe its build at a steep discount for the junk option, but still.... Anyway, they don't give many examples in the book of anything in action, and too much creativity and spontaneous work for me as a GM. Player? Sure, I could and might like to play, but there's a good deal of pressure on the GM since its easy to over-power villains, monsters, challenges, other kinds of enemies, etc.
Also, I don't remember mentioning it, but the anime movie Steamboy would qualify as steampunk I think. Its heavy on the realism side, but still has quite a good bit of fantastic that isn't explained even though a good bit of the science behind the technology of the era is. I think there are others, but that's the only one that I know qualifies and have seen.
havent seen that but cant remember the live action steampunk movies name it involves 2 kids and a chest so to give no spoilers if you know it say the name please and thank you the game still sounds good though
Unfortunately I can't think of the name on those details.
And I think the game is a good first step, but it needs a really good GM or else collapses under its own weight and fragile framework. There are no enemy stat blocks for the GM to use, character creation for enemies takes a long time since they only give you character creation rules to work with, and they advise you to shift the numbers on the spot so even if the enemy had say 100hp left, and a lucky shot does say 12 damage, the GM can still have the enemy drop dead because of how worn out the player's characters are....or how frustrated the players are. I'm not good at doing that stuff.
I've heard a rumor that there's a table-top anime rpg coming out perhaps this month or next that's rules light and more roleplaying oriented/driven. The book provides the framework for creating an rp for any genre of anime and the player characters are anime characters. I don't know much about it, but it covers magic and mecha, and I'm pretty sure steampunk falls somewhere between them. If I can remember the name of the game or if someone out there reading this knows, I'll let you know or please post it. I hope to find a copy and read it, and I'll give you my opinion once I've done so. It might be a more mechanical review as it's built to have a genre's skin/suit slapped on top of the rules skeleton/framework.
the game still needs work and with that Im not saying push away from that topic but from that one paricular part for it has been covered well id say so and if not i cant find a way to continue it but as far as rpgs go i know of a beta game possibly if you ever heard of artesia might be spelled wrong so creater Mark Smylie is the author of a Book called the Barrow also dont hold me to this but i think founder of prye Books just look up The Sword and Barrow and check him out also prye for some book and steampunk ( have a slightly adult theme but still resonably a actull book unlike 50 shades of grey which is a Erotic Porn novel that really is a documentory) so ya have fun with those and also please support this thread if your a follower of it with a thumbs up or down up to you im going to be going all thumbs up wink wink unless its very random info like lets talk about how lolypop land is reall ... ramble and posting
lol, unfortunately I have a backlog of d&d novels to read, plus some of the inspirational materials that helped create or influence the game over the years. Right now I'm on the 3rd book in 'The Sundering' series, and said book is also the 3rd in a series by the author staring her character. I don't know if you've ready of the Drizzt series, but this series gives it a run for its money in my opinion. If Salvatore's strength is in the martial combat description, the Evan's is in strong, believable, female characters. I'm less than 10 chapters in and so far I'm loving the 'The Adversary'. The only thing so far I have a slight problem with, is a bit with a villain and that female villain's reaction to something she did. However, there's still plenty of time for explanations. I know its not steampunk but things get kinda steamy early on.
I've also got an eberron novel to read still as well. That is the closest I think d&d's come to a steampunk setting. The setting has a lot of intrigue, secret plots and secret organizations. Also, magic has kinda taken the place of technology with things such as elemental airships and the lightning rail. There are even multinational corporations, or rather an extended family of people with a magical bloodline that allows them to excel at certain magic or other things.
D&D might, MIGHT have had a setting that could've been more steampunk back during 2nd edition, but I don't know for certain & there might have been a non-wizards d&d product for 3-3.5 using the Open-Game License/Content stuff, not sure.
Out of curiosity, do you think it'd be possible to create a forum based steampunk rp here for torn? My biggest concerns are how combat would work(if allowed), and if there's no combat, it becomes a mix of questions about: setting, theme, keeping interest, preventing run-away growth/inflation, curiosity about how to keep the math/maintenance work simple. I'm willing to pitch-in and offer my help for set-up if you think it's possible/are interested. I'll try to follow your lead since you seem to be more knowledgeable about steam-punk than I, but I might not necessarily join the rp itself(depending on lore, what can/can't be achieved, complexity, possible minimum post length, etc.).
A new turn of events with the new Dnd set coming out all i have time to say also nothing else coming to mind stay steamy
Ok, well I've been trying to follow 5e and set up a thread for d&d in general here on torn. So far the only think kinda steampunk I've seen is from the monster manual with the modrons (or is that modrones?). Anyway, not counting any of the golems or non-undead constructs, there seems to be quite a few monsters who's artwork seems to fit a victorian fantasy setting. Several old lycanthropes are back, vampires, and gargoyles for example. The PHB reference Cthulhu and the great old ones by name(cthulhu by name the others as the great old ones if memory serves; at any rate pretty obvious lovecraft references).
Unfortately the DMG got pushed back to december and I think 4e had better artwork for devils, I can understand the calls made for some of the demons and the medusa, but some of the devils just look too....idk blotchy, just compare 4e's pit fiend to 5e's. But I digress, DMG should have more info on world building and boy do I need it. I'm trying to build a 5e homebrew world and idk what the civilization categories and their requirements are..(ex. what's the pop. difference between a town and city in d&d?), and that's ignoring my troubles with scaling and poor cartography skills. At any rate so far with the adventure modules current out it looks like they cut back on the magic and mundane loot, or rather give you more than you can carry so you're forced to leave it behind. While this is great for settings such as darksun, Eberron is magic heavy and is the closest one to steampunk. I have reason to suspect that the planescape and ravenloft settings may be coming back, along with dragonlance and birthright. However this is just pure speculation, and I have played none of them before or read any novels set there (did see the animated movie though..). My point is, ravenloft is definitely gothic-horror, but I don't know if that's enough to count as steampunk even with the flesh-golem being more frankenstein's monster this edition than last.
On a side note, the 3.5 supplement Stormwrack, which I'm currently reading has a vessel called the 'theurgeme' which is magically propelled, though in cosmetic turns it about a smoke-stack shy of being an early steamer. They also have the 'ironclad' as well, unfortunately no artwork but based on the stats I'm guessing more like regular ships than the 'ironclads' of the american civil war. The book also includes a few gunpowder weapons. Unfortunately, each powder charge is quite expensive and the price of a single bombard/cannon could easily buy at least one of about a half-dozen ship options.
Still, at least its something kinda steampunk related to d&d. I just wish the main site would show the products coming after the DMG in their catalog.
hear of the new edition coming out also there are clockwork clouds or something but also try pdf files if you put it on the interenet in one then its free to use and save to a flashdrive right if not then trademark find it and have it removed is how i go about things now when you say steampunk you want full blast steampunk right? that wont work for the fact that it will flow so well youll get lost in it and wind up down the gear and gray brown smoky stuff consisting of a gear based world try more light based enviorment with less steampunk more a bit of everything unless you go for post... or pre... seting i prefer goleden ages of it with ether terible begining just begining or bad stuff all over now for aftermath of aftermath of aftermath type deal so reevolution but dealing steampunk makes since spost it not add note and how ta f do you marry someone on here
just recently i have discoverd a new way to relearn my alphabete instead of a is for apples or the spongebob song i have stumbled upon a steampunk alphabet book i know it is probally very old but i mean come on who doesnt want darn forgot a but b is for ballon as in air ballon g is for google r is for rocket in a lovley steampunk imagery with lovely detail to read to so if you love steampunk youll love it if you like reading to.
If your up for a challenge try looking for a Steamhat Ill explain it is a top hat that goes on your head your head ok then with that it has a chiminey like that of a train or something simmilar from which steam or smoke comes out of now the tricky part is finding a picture or someone to draw a picture of it without all the messy engine parts or with nice enine parts showing fo it to work propally which to work i mean it must be an actual steam or smoke blowing tophat that heats your head or is just for fashion. if your up to it go ahead. leave posts please and dont forget to like please ill always like unless pointless to steampunk ass a zombie eating flowers if you get what i mean.