Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

New Feature- Library

Started by DrUniverse [539612] on in Suggestions.

21 replies · 156 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 22 / 22 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
22
Discussion span
→
Authority score
28 / 100
Historical score
25 / 100
Story score
45 / 100
Engagement score
58 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Mentioned in this thread

DrUniverse [539612] ×3

DrUniverse [539612]

I hope to make the library an event for the whole torn community at the beginning.

When visiting the library it will start off showing a page similar to the Church but with only two options. Donate Cash, and Donate Library Books.

Library Book- One of the various books needed to be donated to the Torn Library before it will be complete.

Like other pages the NPC who you talk to can show at the top. This NPC will be the librarian after construction of the library. For simplicities sake I will name her Samatha.

So when visiting:

Samatha: "Hello, I'm Samantha, I'm trying to get enough books and money together to build our first library. If you could help out it would be really appreciated, keep in mind I can only carry so much at a time."

The Library Books will need to be found around the city. Players will only be able to access the library after enough donations of both types go through.

Players will have a limit of how much they can donate to the library per day. I was thinking this limit could be in the range of 1-10m. (Not a hard limit obviously).

Players will need to also donate enough books for the library to have. (Potentially 1-5k books, again not a hard limit).

After these limits are reached Torn players will have access to a fully built library.


When a new player goes to the library after the event of building it they will instead get the following
Samantha: "Welcome to the library, I haven't seen you before a library card costs at least a 1m donation, and requires donation of 2 Library Books for the community. I know the price seems a bit high, but this is a tough town to run a library in."

So players will still see a similar screen as they would have during the event but with a text change.

If the minimum amount was donated by you either during or after the event you will get a new library page. At the top will be something like the following.
Samantha: "Good to see you again, remember our limit of checking out one library book a day."

Players will then have the option at the bottom of the screen, depending on if they have checked out a book today or not.
1. Return any books and check out a new one.
2. Return current partly read book.

Players will have at the top right.
Return to City

When a player checks out a book they will get a random bonus for 24 hours.
Players will get a message stating which type of book they have.

If they choose option 1 they will get:
Samantha: "Thanks for returning the old book, remember no one in this city will buy these books since they have our stamp inside it. So don't bother trying to sell it."
Players will have at the top right.
Return to City

When a player checks out a book they will get a random bonus for 24 hours. They will get the message "You have checked out a ....
Book on Police Tactics: Increased busting ability
Book on Criminal Justice: Decreases buyout for jail by 10%
Book on anatomy: Increases damage for all weapons
Book on Geometry: Increases Gun Accuracy
Book on Surgery: Decreases revive cost by 5e
Book on Historic Criminals: Increases crime success rate slightly
Book on Self Awareness: Increases City Find Success Rate

These are just a few that I have though of, but these can be expanded on to include a pretty exhaustive list.

Library Donation Levels- The higher the level the more books you can check out, and therefore the more bonuses. Again these are just figures. I have no clue what would be reasonable.

1 Book - Minimum 1m donation and 2 books
2 Books - Minimum 5m donation and 5 books
3 Books- Minimum 20m donation and 10 books
4 Books- Minimum 75m donation and 20 books
5 Books- Minimum 250m donation and 35 books
6 Books- Minimum 1bil donation and 50 books.


This is more of an afterthought but Merits could be awarded throughout your donation levels. Merits could also be awarded for returning books before the day is done.
They could also be awarded for consecutive days donating or checking out/returning books.

Note: Checked out books would not show up in inventory. These would not be an item at all. The only item introduced would be the Library Book.


Any further suggestions I will periodically add to this. You might remember an old post of mine, but that was years ago and I've done some editing for it this time.
TwoEleven [1161983]

Oh OH, we have an academic among us! I love a good book after a hard day of Chaining, organized and personal crimes. Nothing is more relaxing after getting head shot than a chapter of war and peace!

Seriously though, could work. Ched would like the cash out of the economy.
DrUniverse [539612]

Hahaha yea, I figured since tornians seem to have completed more than 2 degrees on average it made sense to have a library.
Originally I liked the idea of it helping to decrease education times, but I decided to change that in the forum after respo since I don't think ched wants that to go own any further, and I thought a wider variety of bonuses could be more fun with never knowing what you are going to get. Sometimes you'll get a bonus you really like, and other times you'll have something you just won't use. It also makes it so some day you might focus on a particular aspect more than others to make your day in torn vary a little more than usual.
mr_sasquatch [1260521]

this is a great idea, could be another community project to get started like rebuilding the rehab, so many ways to expand as well.

id love to see this implemented in the coming year
DrZed [237786]

It sounds like a good idea and you have enough detail with it.
Although how rare of a city find would a library book be. The prices of those things could get very expensive, and I can see people wanting to collect them and not turn them in.
DrUniverse [539612]

I figured people would collect them at the beginning no matter how common they were, that's the way it was when we got new items like blunderbuss a while back (I sold one for like 5m since I found once the first few days they came out, now you can't give them away with that much). It's the same with most of the event items (Christmas or Halloween for example).

I figured since there would be a constant decrease in them due to donating they would be a more common item. They would probably have to be at least common as the current item "Book". I say this since these are temporary items and we have around 6k of them in circulation. I'm estimating that that means we could have used one for each torn member, but only after so many months of them being around. To make it more reasonably timed we might need them to be a bit more common than the current "Book".
Sorry for confusion between library book and regular book but I couldn't think of another item that had better numbers as an example.
philoten [1646213]

R +

I'm warming up to this idea. Would give players something else to look for in the city, and would have more people being interactive with the city search function in order to receive these bonuses.

I do inqiure though. Once a book is checked out, is there a cool down before they can check another out again? I see you mentioned a merit for returning a book in early. But what limitations would you put in place in order to stop people from purposely returning and checking out a book in order to get the book that will fit their current situation.

i.e. warring at the moment so they return and check out books until the receive the Book On Geometry.

I would suggest something like a 3-4 hour cool down that is put in place each time they check out a book. So they can return the book at any time but cannot check out another book until the cool down is over.

Excuse me if I misread and missed that and its already in the OP already, it may just be my eye sight sucks xD
DrUniverse [539612]

I thought I mentioned it, but returning the book would only for merit/medal.
Otherwise you still need to wait the extra day before you can get another.
At least that is how I meant it, I will need to reread it to make sure.
TwoEleven [1161983]

Maybe we could get lucky and check out the "good book", then the mystery of the church could be answered!

Seriously though, any new additions to torn can only make an already complex city and game a better and more fun place..

I think this should be implemented.