Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

RESPO Design (Discussion)

Started by Scuba [512975] on in General Discussion.

17 replies · 267 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 18 / 18 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
18
Discussion span
→
People posting
12
Likes on archived posts
13
Authority score
36 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
50 / 100
Engagement score
59 / 100

Mentioned in this thread

PaperStSoapCo [1793199] ×4 Supreme1 [1726186] ×3 kyle8048 [488020] ×2 cyberdude [1613175] ×1

Scuba [512975]

One question of mine seems to linger.

Usage.

No one can deny that there is a significant increase of data usage as we move from a less text-based platform to an image heavy digital platform. While not just referring to internet plans while we play at home, but also on mobile I'm now realizing this more makes me increasingly nervous about using my mobile device to log into Torn. I'd like to recognize that a solely text-based RPG obviously will use less data but with the addition of the attacking system in weeks to come with "live images" being added, how much more data will we be using? I almost feel that push-pull the amount of value being received isn't justifiable in a browser based client and we shouldn't be burning through the significant pushes for data that we are just to do at base menial tasks. After all the sole heart of this game I feel is still Training, Crimes and Attacking. Everything else is indeed extra (though fun).

HTML5, CSS3, beautiful and deep in options are available to the developers that operate on low-budget-memory to create respectable visuals that still load quick and offer a lite element to their presentation without it being unpresentable. I've often pondered if Torn now needed an iOS/ Android app so that it can talk to servers specifically through text/ pings for actions over re-loading and caching browser content and images as it currently does. The initial app could even be "heavier" in it's overall size if it was a one-time download for users but still acceptable/ easier managed than the constant caching and possible re-caching.

After all, RESPO means RESPONSIVE. A web design trend that has taken off in the last few years as the new trend. It has brought with it however, many great innovations to page loads. Something to think about in the increasing functionality to our daily fun here at Torn. Obviously older technology (flip phones, old devices) have been left behind with the newer design so I unfortunately do see the flaw to "upgrading" the website further to new present-day web trend and tech by either resorting to app download or HTML5/CSS3.


As it stands I rarely login now through my mobile device and not through lack of funtionality primarily (though I feel it's still not as comfortable/ intuitive as it could be but that's my select opinion) but more for data prioritization. If I logged into Torn as much as I'd like, I'd be paying quite a lot and it's actually demotivated me overall where I end up playing less just based on the fact I'm not able to play as much as I'd like.

What are everyone else's comments on the matter?
PaperStSoapCo [1793199]

There's a HUGE spike in my data consumption after RESPO. I've been consistently mobile both pre-RESPO and post, and now I keep getting warnings saying I've passed 50%...90%...and even 95% of the 2 GB I get a month. I don't think I've ever encroached on my data plan like I've done these past two months. I have having my wifi on constantly because it's insecure but now while I'm at work (with no wifi) I'll try to pick up the wifi at Subway or Panera or whatever during lunch just to try to ease the load. If people have wifi at their work that's one thing but I don't and this is burning up my data plan fast. I thought I heard word early on that they were working to reduce the load, but I've heard nothing since. Yes, the new RESPO looks nice but I've read threads in the forums about proxys and image storage and tons of other things I don't understand ([:laughing:] ) which would help make it less data.Get on it!
Supreme1 [1726186]
PaperStSoapCo [1793199]There's a HUGE spike in my data consumption after RESPO. I've been consistently mobile both pre-RESPO and post, and now I keep getting warnings saying I've passed 50%...90%...and even 95% of the 2 GB I get a month. I don't think I've ever encroached on my data plan like I've done these past two months. I have having my wifi on constantly because it's insecure but now while I'm at work (with no wifi) I'll try to pick up the wifi at Subway or Panera or whatever during lunch just to try to ease the load. If people have wifi at their work that's one thing but I don't and this is burning up my data plan fast. I thought I heard word early on that they were working to reduce the load, but I've heard nothing since. Yes, the new RESPO looks nice but I've read threads in the forums about proxys and image storage and tons of other things I don't understand ([:laughing:] ) which would help make it less data.Get on it!

Have you tried compressing the data from the site so that it doesn't have to retrieve the sites information every time you log on? that should help quite a bit.

Mentions: PaperStSoapCo [1793199]

PaperStSoapCo [1793199]
Kole [1726186]
PaperStSoapCo [1793199]There's a HUGE spike in my data consumption after RESPO. I've been consistently mobile both pre-RESPO and post, and now I keep getting warnings saying I've passed 50%...90%...and even 95% of the 2 GB I get a month. I don't think I've ever encroached on my data plan like I've done these past two months. I have having my wifi on constantly because it's insecure but now while I'm at work (with no wifi) I'll try to pick up the wifi at Subway or Panera or whatever during lunch just to try to ease the load. If people have wifi at their work that's one thing but I don't and this is burning up my data plan fast. I thought I heard word early on that they were working to reduce the load, but I've heard nothing since. Yes, the new RESPO looks nice but I've read threads in the forums about proxys and image storage and tons of other things I don't understand ([:laughing:] ) which would help make it less data.Get on it!

Have you tried compressing the data from the site so that it doesn't have to retrieve the sites information every time you log on? that should help quite a bit.

Explain how that happens/how to do that? I might have an undergrad degree but it sure doesn't cover this haha

Mentions: PaperStSoapCo [1793199] · Supreme1 [1726186]

Supreme1 [1726186]

It all depends on what Internet browser you're using. Just look for a bandwidth section in your settings within your browser. You should see something along the lines of "reduce data usage" turn that on. Now like I said before it all depends on your particular browser, yours may not even have this option but it's worth a try. Also if you don't have it, download google chrome and use that I know you can do it with Chrome.
Scuba [512975]
Kole [1726186]
PaperStSoapCo [1793199]There's a HUGE spike in my data consumption after RESPO. I've been consistently mobile both pre-RESPO and post, and now I keep getting warnings saying I've passed 50%...90%...and even 95% of the 2 GB I get a month. I don't think I've ever encroached on my data plan like I've done these past two months. I have having my wifi on constantly because it's insecure but now while I'm at work (with no wifi) I'll try to pick up the wifi at Subway or Panera or whatever during lunch just to try to ease the load. If people have wifi at their work that's one thing but I don't and this is burning up my data plan fast. I thought I heard word early on that they were working to reduce the load, but I've heard nothing since. Yes, the new RESPO looks nice but I've read threads in the forums about proxys and image storage and tons of other things I don't understand ([:laughing:] ) which would help make it less data.Get on it!

Have you tried compressing the data from the site so that it doesn't have to retrieve the sites information every time you log on? that should help quite a bit.

I have chrome and have this option enabled, it is however indicative of poor design if you are required to use it just to visit a website. For what this website is, 2.5MB pages aren'tan acceptable load form both in data or load speed.

Mentions: PaperStSoapCo [1793199] · Supreme1 [1726186]

Valaskjalf [1503919]
PaperStSoapCo [1793199]
Kole [1726186]
PaperStSoapCo [1793199]There's a HUGE spike in my data consumption after RESPO. I've been consistently mobile both pre-RESPO and post, and now I keep getting warnings saying I've passed 50%...90%...and even 95% of the 2 GB I get a month. I don't think I've ever encroached on my data plan like I've done these past two months. I have having my wifi on constantly because it's insecure but now while I'm at work (with no wifi) I'll try to pick up the wifi at Subway or Panera or whatever during lunch just to try to ease the load. If people have wifi at their work that's one thing but I don't and this is burning up my data plan fast. I thought I heard word early on that they were working to reduce the load, but I've heard nothing since. Yes, the new RESPO looks nice but I've read threads in the forums about proxys and image storage and tons of other things I don't understand ([:laughing:] ) which would help make it less data.Get on it!

Have you tried compressing the data from the site so that it doesn't have to retrieve the sites information every time you log on? that should help quite a bit.

Explain how that happens/how to do that? I might have an undergrad degree but it sure doesn't cover this haha

See thread.

Mentions: PaperStSoapCo [1793199] · Supreme1 [1726186] · Advanced Reduced Bandwidth Guide (technical)

Mooch [29724]

80% of my torn gaming time is on mobile. im not sure if it eats more data or not but for now just to be safe i use mobile torn down to 50%. but still playing and loving the game.
cyberdude [1613175]
kyle8048 [488020]Try turning off sigs and profiles. 2 of the major loading issues on phones

Didn't know that was fixed. Yet again, we need a god damn OFFICIAL OFFICIAL changelog.

Mentions: kyle8048 [488020]

Xiphias [187717]
cyberdude [1613175]
kyle8048 [488020]Try turning off sigs and profiles. 2 of the major loading issues on phones

Didn't know that was fixed. Yet again, we need a god damn OFFICIAL OFFICIAL changelog.

Heh this was fixed a long time ago.

Mentions: cyberdude [1613175] · kyle8048 [488020]

Xiphias [187717]

The city map seems to use quite some data. I zoomed in to the 2nd most zoom level and went up in the top left corner and scanned the whole map using the arrows: 18,8 MB (6,2 MB from cache).
Neopolitan [276835]

Perhaps the graphical map should have an option to be completely disabled on mobile devices so people that aren't going to look at it don't have to download it.
Scuba [512975]

There's another valid point in that users who play mainly or only mobile are completely left behind by the city finds by having to painstakingly load and use that map to see anything and then hopelessly try and hit the small object if in that they find it. I don't even bother searching that map; I like to play Torn in my spare time, frequently while even waiting for other games to load- not dedicating an hour daily to searching some map. It feels more like a great concept on paper but without any significant rewards for my significant effort, I don't see the allure. One of the many reasons I think a merit reset is in order. Plentyof us have a significant amount of merits sunk into awareness for something we're no longer actively interested in even the slightest.
Butters [34298]

There's been a big spike - a lot of it due to pre-rendering things youmay never even look at, the sheer number of image icons in torn now and the lack of any decent caching (not that I want torn chewing up my phone's memory dumping a large volume of cached content onto my phone's memory anyway).