34 replies · 2.64k views · thread synced · 6 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:35 / 35 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
35
Discussion span
→
Authority score
60 / 100
Historical score
50 / 100
Story score
63 / 100
Engagement score
75 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
I've made up a basic High Low Guide for those interested in the game.
Torn's High Low doesn't shuffle the deck after every round in a game. It reshuffles the deck only after 16 full rounds (ie. 32 cards).
This means, if there are 4 two's seen in the first 6 rounds (each of the two can appear either on the dealer's card or on your card), for the next 12 rounds, there won't be any two cards in the game.
For the General version, wherein you reshuffle the deck after every round, these are the rules.
Normally, this is how it goes: Dealer Card less than 8: Your chances of having a Higher Card are greater Dealer Card greater than 8: Your chances of having a Lower Card are greater Dealer Card 8: There is an equal chance for either
I've made a table to represent the data for each card and the % chance that you have to win or lose. However, do not rely on this table completely as your deck doesn't reshuffle for 16 whole rounds. This is just to give you the general idea.
Scootaloo [1590427]I have to ask, is the deck re-shuffled before the game starts? Can't work it out...
No, it only appears to be when it says it shuffles. It will remember the number of turns you've had in between games and still shuffle after the required number has been reached.
Sometimes it says it has shuffled the deck on the first or second card you play for example and other times it will be a while into the game.
Scootaloo [1590427]I have to ask, is the deck re-shuffled before the game starts? Can't work it out...
First time you play it should be a new shuffle, but I found if you leave and come back the same day it picked up where it left off. If you aren't sure just wait for it to reset then start counting again.
I made a grid of the cards and marked off when they were picked to try and give myself an advantage, but still can't get a streak higher than about 15.
Exapmle:
Card is an 8 - 10 cards below 8 are crossed off - 3 cards above 8 are crossed off
So in that case your odds are slightly better picking higher instead of lower.
You have to decide what your goal is before you start.
If its the merit, play for $10. Going strictly for 25 in a row, the odds are not in your favor.
If its for profit, keep your eye on the modifier and catch it when its above 30%. The highest Ive seen was 41%. I made a killing that day. Then decide what the max loss you could withstand. Don't go bigger than you could afford to lose 20 times. I wouldn't suggest playing $10m till you've become proficient at turning a profit every day. I did it a few times successfully, then one bad streak, I went down 150m in a blink.
Personally, I play for 1m. I start out going for 8 wins or so before I think about cashing. If you cash out after 10 wins, with a decent modifier, you'll be in the 18 - 20m range. Do that 5 times and you have a 25m profit after 75 tokens. Or get a bit bolder after cashing a few times and go for a bigger streak. It only takes 15 wins to break 50m but if you get that nervous feeling, cash out. Theres no shame in quitting if you make a profit.
So far made a bit over 2B from hi/low....though it helps having a couple thousand casino tokens so that I play 10m hands without the risk of ending the day in the red :P
AeonFlux [1864224]Was 380m up today and am -50m right now lol.
Quite while you're up. Suddenly it goes all messy and you won't realize you lose a lot in a row..Ace beats your king and 2 beats your three.
Pretty sure this is programmed into the game now - whenever you start earning more money that passes the daily increase amount that Ched allows - then the game alters its difficulty and gives you situations like that.
Not to mention the game re-shuffles the deck randomly, sometimes without notifying the player, which can result in an unfair and unpredictable game.
AeonFlux [1864224]Was 380m up today and am -50m right now lol.
Quite while you're up. Suddenly it goes all messy and you won't realize you lose a lot in a row..Ace beats your king and 2 beats your three.
Pretty sure this is programmed into the game now - whenever you start earning more money that passes the daily increase amount that Ched allows - then the game alters its difficulty and gives you situations like that.
Not to mention the game re-shuffles the deck randomly, sometimes without notifying the player, which can result in an unfair and unpredictable game.
Yep, it tilted like hell. like the difficulty changed a level.
Honestly, High or Low I believe is now the most profitable casino game in Torn. I did lose 40m from being greedy, however from 1M starting cash, I made 90M from high low
You might want to account for ties differently. A tie isn't really a win, it pushes you to the next round but the prize doesn't increase. So for example, the odds of winning and increasing the ot when the dealer shows a 2 is only 48/52 (92%), etc.
Mia [131289]You might want to account for ties differently. A tie isn't really a win, it pushes you to the next round but the prize doesn't increase. So for example, the odds of winning and increasing the ot when the dealer shows a 2 is only 48/52 (92%), etc.
I agree the amount doesn't go up. But you still get a streak + you don't lose the streak. I can't make 2 separate columns for it as people will then assume that one can lose on a two itself.