Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Death

Started by TrAsH_FiSh [692571] on in General Non-related.

18 replies · 147 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 19 / 19 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
19
Discussion span
→
People posting
16
Likes on archived posts
7
Authority score
19 / 100
Historical score
19 / 100
Story score
41 / 100
Engagement score
56 / 100

Mentioned in this thread

Sweeney_Todd [27468] ×1 MachineGunSteve [184119] ×1 Stuie123 [867397] ×1

TrAsH_FiSh [692571]

First off this is NOT a Religious thread. We started discussing this topic in a different thread and were told to stay on topic. Sooo rather then wind up in one of Sweeney's Pie's I decided to start a thread.

So to the meat of it then.

My question is simple, if you were to die suddenly and had no life insurance how should your family react? Should they take out a second mortgage to put you in the ground? Should they opted for cremation? Dig a hole in the back yard? Alligator bait? Chum?

How would you react if it were your brother, sister, mother, or father that passed suddenly? We in the Developed world spend thousands of dollars to bury someone. I've even heard of people using Cadillac's for caskets. While the rest of the world wraps there dead in blankets and buries them ASAP with little to no cost to the family.

Your thoughts on this?
Jobby [1640111]

Different cultures...different customs. Allot of it boils down to how much cash you can get your hands on. The funeral business is definatly one that won't go under (See what I did there) anytime soon.
CatHead [1581564]

If I died abroad my parents have said that they'd spend loads of money on taking my body back to England. I've told them a load of times that I'd hate that. If I'm dead, my body is useless to me- I don't care where it is and I don't think they should pay the thousands it costs to repatriate it. I'd like them to come on a holiday for the funeral if they felt up to it- just so they could find a little last piece of pleasure in my memory.

I don't care if I'm cremated or buried and I don't care where.

Funerals are for the living, I didn't go to my grandmother's funeral partly because she was a bitch but mainly because I was working on the other side of the world and I didn't fancy spending money I didn't really have to show my face at a funeral. I wrote the Eulogy for my dad to read and that took a lot of work to put together, so I think I'm happy with leaving it like that. I can remember her without seeing her body put into the ground.

I think it's all personal choice, if anyone in my family said they wanted something big- I'd do my best to respect their wishes. If they don't say anything, I think a small service is fine.


Tolshortte [648554]

throwing money into the ground is silly to me. ive stated I want my funeral to be as cheap as possible. In fact, if my family can make money off of my body from medical research then they should sell me. then use that money to improve their lives.

wakes are expensive too. not sure why more people don't just throw a small get together at home instead of giving all that money to someone you don't even know to house everyone that already comes to your home anyways. just my opinion.
MachineGunSteve [184119]

I just had my mother cremated back in February. It was far cheaper than burial, though it was still ridiculously expensive. The state forces the companies to have the body in a wooden box... why? Makes no sense to me, and it just costs more $$$.

I will get cremated myself... don't really care though, as I will be dead. I would actually rather be left out in the open to be buzzard food, but that isn't allowed. There are some cultures in Asia who cut up the dead and let the buzzards eat them... seems like a good way to go in my opinion, though I am not sure why they have to be cut up, as evolution has made buzzards pretty good at doing their jobs without human help.
GirlFriday [570368]

I plan on becoming Soylent Green. :P

If not that, then I hope they just do whatever is cheapest. Roll me in a ditch if they can get away with it.
Anon [1771528]

If I die I die that's all there is to it.

I don't care what happens to my body because by then I wouldn't give a shit, the best thing to do is to leave me at a park bench with a hat on and when people got suspicious and raised my hat my head fell off, I would have been happy then.
_T_ [1009930]
Sweeney_Todd [27468]Surely the world would wink out of existence as you are all a small part in my twisted imagination...[:sick:]

Like sands through the hour glass, so are the days of our lives.

Mentions: Sweeney_Todd [27468]

Darthbong [309951]

My plan before i die is to skydive into a volcano, can't bury me if there is no remains.
I also told everyone to throw massive party (everyones buying a keg each) and drink themselves silly in my honor.

If my brother died i'd throw a party in his honor like he would for me.
If my sister died i'd leave the arrangements up to her boyfriend/husband.
If my Mom goes, she asked to be cremated.
if my dad goes i don't know yet ... maybe just find a hole and throw him into it.

I'll be sad to see them all go but death comes to everyone i just hope i go first so i don't have to plan anything. :P
0ffline [1822187]

Most westerners smell like death to folks from a few developing countries on account of our obsessive hygiene consumerism.





We reek of sanitizer and soaps often reserved in other lands for prepping a corpse.
TrAsH_FiSh [692571]
MachineGunSteve [184119]I just had my mother cremated back in February. It was far cheaper than burial, though it was still ridiculously expensive. The state forces the companies to have the body in a wooden box... why? Makes no sense to me, and it just costs more $$$.

I will get cremated myself... don't really care though, as I will be dead. I would actually rather be left out in the open to be buzzard food, but that isn't allowed. There are some cultures in Asia who cut up the dead and let the buzzards eat them... seems like a good way to go in my opinion, though I am not sure why they have to be cut up, as evolution has made buzzards pretty good at doing their jobs without human help.

The link to information on Sky Burial's explanation. It actually makes sense for these people to get rid of remains like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial

Mentions: MachineGunSteve [184119]

Renagard [1861213]

I would want them to burn me. But judging from the whole "I'm not here to know" thing, just tell me you're going to burn me, and then just chuck me in the ground and plant flowers over me. Really, I'll be tickled pink to fertilize your garden. I just don't want to think aboutmy bodyrotting.
Bertrum [1863636]

I have life insurance, so I am making sure my loved ones go all out when I go.

In all seriousness though, as long as respect is given to the deceased, then it is not really about how much is spent on a funeral, or any kind of service. I mean cremation is a cheaper option and if that is against your faith then I am sure there are options.