Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Playing Blindly :/

Started by Zei [1863446] on in Questions & Answers.

14 replies · 157 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 15 / 15 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
15
Discussion span
→
People posting
10
Likes on archived posts
5
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
2
Authority score
66 / 100
Historical score
29 / 100
Story score
31 / 100
Engagement score
55 / 100

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

ColelyOly [1590612] ×3 bogie [148747] ×2 Jobby [1640111] ×2 David [132845] ×1 maledict [1677916] ×1 Zei [1863446] ×1

Zei [1863446]

I really enjoy torn and I can see myself playing it for a long time, but I feel like a lot of the systems in this game kinda leave you in the dark. I'm an old fashioned hardcore grinder when it comes to my gaming style I suppose so I like to look for efficient ways to complete things and make my progression/growth exceed casual players. I know Torn isn't really a game where you can come and play hours and hours and gain a large amount of progression compared to another player who casually checks it every few hours. That last statement may not be entirely true, but due to the limitations (Energy/Nerve bar) you are kinda set up to be able to only do so much each day, week, ect... Will we ever get an experience bar or at least see the amounts of experience we gain from each action? There is an idea of what works best but is there any solid facts that we have to go off of on the account of leveling and progressing?

(Not try to bash and say I am better than anyone. I just like to know what I need to do and see evidence that what I am doing is the most efficient way of completing things.)
bogie [148747] Admin Staff

Torn will NEVER have an experience bar. The developers have always been extremely adamant on this.

No exp bar is something that sets torn apart from the rest of those crappy text RPG rips. It's not intended to be easy. It's not intended to give you everything to see. Levelling up is intended as a surprise, something to aim for and is supposed to be difficult. It takes years to reach max level rather than a matter of weeks... because torn, unlike those crappy games you see with xp bars, is a game that will last that long.

Torn has never had an xp bar and it's become a large part of the 'culture', for lack of a better word.

If you want to see your level progress then fly to China at level 15. You can pay the fortune teller to tell you how close you are to levelling up.
Zei [1863446]

I see, well that makes a lot of sense. I'm still new so I didn't really understand why there wasn't one but I can see that this game is gonna be a long term. Instead of fast paced and idk how else to explain those types of games. IMHO I don't think those games are bad because of the experience bars I think they just lack a interaction and a great community like torn has. I've played some pretty BA text based but torn by far takes the cake when it comes to the social aspect.

bogie [148747]Torn will NEVER have an experience bar. The developers have always been extremely adamant on this.

No exp bar is something that sets torn apart from the rest of those crappy text RPG rips. It's not intended to be easy. It's not intended to give you everything to see. Levelling up is intended as a surprise, something to aim for and is supposed to be difficult. It takes years to reach max level rather than a matter of weeks... because torn, unlike those crappy games you see with xp bars, is a game that will last that long.

Torn has never had an xp bar and it's become a large part of the 'culture', for lack of a better word.

If you want to see your level progress then fly to China at level 15. You can pay the fortune teller to tell you how close you are to levelling up.

 

Mentions: bogie [148747]

David [132845]

Having an XP bar (or any other precise metrics) would only end up in having people gaming the game instead of playing it...
topsy [1856620]

anyone that wants to know exp mechanics can test it super easily, aka the people that would "game the game" are the same people for whom a lack of exp bar doesn't really matter. I've always thought the lack of exp bar was to make the game feel more casual, which i think it does successfully.
maledict [1677916]

Ched could add a  [Soon] link (which does nothing) until an [upgrade] would appear and that would cater to both sides of the argument, AND train users to be patient...because this game requires a lot of it at times.

Is that a Win / Win situation?

Yes, the above is sarcasm but for the record voted no because in this game leveling doesn't really matter in the long run, thus knowing your current exp would do nothing to improve it. Also because flying to China is your exp bar.

@ Zei [1863446] I approach many games the same way as you do and yet I still voted no because honestly the game barely has enough content as is at times revealing the rest of it would probably kill what's left of the game as there is only the time sink/money grinding/money market aspect left.  For stuff like an exp bar you'd have to argue that it somehow allows more skilled players to perform better at the game than others.  For Torn there is literally no skill involved, aside from deciphering what is or isn't BS on the forums so it becomes a rather pointless endeavor.

A better argument would have been to ask "does keeping game mechanics like exp hidden among other things, foster creative and/or unique game-play or will it simply spurn users off from playing Torn in the future?"

I think a strong argument could be made for either side.

Mentions: Zei [1863446]

Zei [1863446]
maledict [1677916]Ched could add a  [Soon] link (which does nothing) until an [upgrade] would appear and that would cater to both sides of the argument, AND train users to be patient...because this game requires a lot of it at times.

Is that a Win / Win situation?

Yes, the above is sarcasm but for the record voted no because in this game leveling doesn't really matter in the long run, thus knowing your current exp would do nothing to improve it. Also because flying to China is your exp bar.

@ Zei [1863446] I approach many games the same way as you do and yet I still voted no because honestly the game barely has enough content as is at times revealing the rest of it would probably kill what's left of the game as there is only the time sink/money grinding/money market aspect left.  For stuff like an exp bar you'd have to argue that it somehow allows more skilled players to perform better at the game than others.  For Torn there is literally no skill involved, aside from deciphering what is or isn't BS on the forums so it becomes a rather pointless endeavor.

A better argument would have been to ask "does keeping game mechanics like exp hidden among other things, foster creative and/or unique game-play or will it simply spurn users off from playing Torn in the future?"

I think a strong argument could be made for either side.

 @maledict I wasn't really trying to place an argument lol. I was just wondering why we didn't have one. I like how the game is set up now. I just usually do my own little study of how to efficiently progress. Having an exp bar usually helps but like others said I will fly to china and it will tell me how much or how far I suppose... not really sure how accurate or specific it really is though. 

Mentions: maledict [1677916] · Zei [1863446]

strangecreature [354023]

Leveling is also fairly un-important in TORN compared to other games. Many players at various levels of the game are level-holding, purposely not clicking on the level up so they can stay a lower level than their experience would allow. Rank is a better indicator , but Stats and wealth are really where it is at. And the social aspect is very important as well. If you like that grind-y level up style of play I recommend you look at you Hall of Fame standings every day, pick a few things and try to gain as much ground as you can in a month in those areas. I set goals like that all the time and when i hit my goal it feels like a major "level up" because I worked so hard to get there. Good Luck. I hope you hit level 15 soon so you can see the fortune teller in China.
TheTraveller [1845619]

This!
David [132845]Having an XP bar (or any other precise metrics) would only end up in having people gaming the game instead of playing it...

 

Mentions: David [132845]

Jobby [1640111]
ColelyOly [1590612]it gives you a percentage of your xp to leveling like you are 27% to leveling.

 Not sure what you mean?

..I like not having an xp bar, always a nice surprise when you get the 'level up' notice :)

Mentions: ColelyOly [1590612]

bogie [148747] Admin Staff
justthejobby [1640111]
ColelyOly [1590612]it gives you a percentage of your xp to leveling like you are 27% to leveling.

 Not sure what you mean?

..I like not having an xp bar, always a nice surprise when you get the 'level up' notice :)

They're talking abut the fortune teller in China. 

Mentions: ColelyOly [1590612] · Jobby [1640111]

Jobby [1640111]
bogie [148747]
justthejobby [1640111]
ColelyOly [1590612]it gives you a percentage of your xp to leveling like you are 27% to leveling.

 Not sure what you mean?

..I like not having an xp bar, always a nice surprise when you get the 'level up' notice :)

They're talking abut the fortune teller in China. 

 Aah, lol, of course, it was the lack of context got me confussed

Mentions: bogie [148747] · ColelyOly [1590612] · Jobby [1640111]