Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Memory Leak? (Chrome)

Started by SofaAnders [1773718] on in Bugs & Issues.

9 replies · 175 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 10 / 10 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
10
Discussion span
→
People posting
5
Likes on archived posts
1
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
5
Authority score
59 / 100
Historical score
40 / 100
Story score
39 / 100
Engagement score
52 / 100

Most-liked replies

SofaAnders [1773718]

I've noticed the Torn process sometimes reaches over 2.5gb used memory.

Here's a screenshot of the Chrome processes, after I just opened torn.com, note the Torn PID is 7900
http://oi59.tinypic.com/i2554j.jpg

Here's approx. 24hrs later, it's already using approx. 1.2gb memory.
http://oi58.tinypic.com/16awfp3.jpg

And this is after ending the process w. PID 7900
http://oi60.tinypic.com/vg6h5u.jpg

As you can see, killing PID 7900 killed Torn, so that was obviously the culprit.


EDIT: Btw, I've primarily been racing the past couple of weeks, maybe it's related.
tornberry [1448555] Admin Staff

With regards to memory leaks, you're going to have to be A LOT more descriptive if we're to find the leak.

Can you keep note of which page (EXACT URL) you are on when this occurs and what actions you've taken prior to seeing this. For example, when racing, are you watching the race or while race is on are you elsewhere in Torn?

Same question to Dannyel - which game are you playing in casino? What actions in game do you perform regularly?

Thanks


SofaAnders [1773718]

It occurs on every torn page like.. Once it builds up to the 2.5gb, it doesn't really matter what I click or what I do not click, it will remain at 2.5gb.

Doesn't matter if I have other pages open either.

Yes, I sometimes watch the races. I also quite often join a new race before the old one is actually finished (if you finish 1st, and the rest are still racing, you can join a new race.)

I do click around in Torn while racing, but then I'll almost always go back to it before it ends, so I can watch it (if I remember).

Windows 7, x64
tornberry [1448555] Admin Staff

Thank you.


Dannyel - can you please respond as the more info we have the easier the issues will be to replicate and fix.
Guanying [842061]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9fcucYqiRjgbnJxTXQyWWYtR28/edit?usp=sharing

My contribution to this.
Had this happen on 40ish systems now (IT tech, plenty of test machines :D)
On my main system, I have had this get up to 3.2GB before, but that crashed before I could get a screenshot.
Browser extensions make absolutely no difference.
Other programs installed make no difference.
Windows updates makes no difference.
System specs only seem to affect how far it can get before crashing (Torn runs for 15 seconds on a PentiumII with 64MB RAM).
Ran (Windows) Chrome using WINE on Linux, same issue.
Disabling javascript on torn.com fixes memory leak, but practically breaks site.

Confirmed to happen on WinXP, WinVista, Win7, Win8, Win8.1.
x86 and x64 versions of all, with different releases tested (homepre, pro, etc).
Does not happen on OSX or Debian Linux (using native version, not emulated)
Different version of Chrome produces identical results.
Same leak in Opera.
Leak absent in Firefox, IE, PaleMoon, Netscape.

Seems to be an issue with chrome itself, in relation to javascript.
Same sort of thing happens on almost any website with a lot of javascript running.

Hope this helps.