Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Unlocking a Iphone.

Started by Hades [1728299] on in Technology.

24 replies · 97 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 25 / 25 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
25
Discussion span
→
Authority score
9 / 100
Historical score
13 / 100
Story score
33 / 100
Engagement score
57 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Mentioned in this thread

Porny [604593] ×2 Hades [1728299] ×2 KPCSlor [1557404] ×1

Hades [1728299]

So heres the deal. I just bought a phone on Ebay and it was previously owned in the US and the network carrier was called Sprint.

Will I be able to unlock it when I get it? lol

How would I go about unlocking it so I can change the network and it will take any sim card?


( I made a boo boo buying it before I looked into this. ) lol
Stupid I know. I wasn't thinking right at all. xD
KaSonePauk [969226]

I think you can ask mobile shops in your country to unlock network. Once network is unlock, you can use any GSM sim card with it.
Hades [1728299]

Thats Cheery Unlock thing is just a scam BHM. xD Its most likely some virus. The software does not work.

I mailed the person that is selling the phone and they have given me an international sim unlock code number so hopefully it works. If not I think ill give that a go Chanminzer.

Thanks for the replies.
KPCSlor [1557404]

Unlocking is easy, but I assume you mean it's a Sprint phone. Sprint is a CDMA carrier and may not have a SIM slot. With the switch to LTE both Sprint and Verizon are now transitioning to SIMS. If it's a 5c or 5S I assume it will have a SIM slot, but if it's 4s or earlier you are probably out of luck.

I have an iPhone 5s and it's jailbroken with no issues.



Porny [604593]

I can't imagine the phone not having a sim slot, after all the iphone is made by apple and i've never known a phone not to have a sim slot.
Hades [1728299]
Porny [604593]I can't imagine the phone not having a sim slot, after all the iphone is made by apple and i've never known a phone not to have a sim slot.



Me either. Would be very silly of apply to make Sprint and Verizon custom phones with no sim slots I think.


I'm getting worried now. The $$ i'm after forking out on it and I might not even be able to use the thing. xD

Mentions: Porny [604593]

Porny [604593]
Hades [1728299]
Porny [604593]I can't imagine the phone not having a sim slot, after all the iphone is made by apple and i've never known a phone not to have a sim slot.






Me either. Would be very silly of apply to make Sprint and Verizon custom phones with no sim slots I think.


I'm getting worried now. The $$ i'm after forking out on it and I might not even be able to use the thing. xD
I don't know what country you live in hades but i'm in the uk. I was recently searching for an iphone on ebay, the usa did the best deals for me, but i didn't wanna take the risk of not being able to use it :p




Mentions: Hades [1728299] · Porny [604593]

Hades [1728299]

I live in Ireland. So we should be similar. When I get it ill let you know how I got on. :)
Would be some laugh if it was useless to to me. xD
Porny [604593]
Hades [1728299]I live in Ireland. So we should be similar. When I get it ill let you know how I got on. :)
Would be some laugh if it was useless to to me. xD
I doubt i'll be having a laugh at your expense on this occasion, i found an iphone on ebay locked to sprint, and they say its a simple shop unlock :(




Mentions: Hades [1728299]

McDallas [14757]
kpcslor [1557404]Unlocking is easy, but I assume you mean it's a Sprint phone. Sprint is a CDMA carrier and may not have a SIM slot. With the switch to LTE both Sprint and Verizon are now transitioning to SIMS. If it's a 5c or 5S I assume it will have a SIM slot, but if it's 4s or earlier you are probably out of luck.

I have an iPhone 5s and it's jailbroken with no issues.



Apparently all iphones from the 4s onward are unlocked from factory, however the above would be my bigger worry.

I have an iphone 4 that i used to use here, that does NOT have a sim slot from Verizon. They do actually make those! (I know, I didn't believe it either until I saw it)
If it is a CDMA phone it might also have issues with the way European networks are set up differently and your connection will be crap even if it has a sim slot.

Just move to America and you can use the phone again ;)

Mentions: KPCSlor [1557404]

Hades [1728299]

THis is the spec of the phone.

Will it have a sim slot?
Product Identifiers
BrandApple
MPNMD200LL/A
CarrierSprint
Family LineApple iPhone
Model4
UPC885909499625, 885909510344
TypeSmartphone
Key Features
Storage Capacity8 GB
ColorWhite
Network Generation3G
Network TechnologyCDMA / EVDO Rev. A
BandCDMA EVDO Rev. A 800/1900
StyleBar
Camera5.0 MP
Battery
Battery TypeLithium Ion
Battery Capacity1420 mAh
Battery Talk TimeUp to 840 min
Battery Standby TimeUp to 300 hr
Display
Display TechnologyTFT LCD
Diagonal Screen Size3.5 in.
Display Resolution960 x 640 pixels
Other Features
Touch ScreenYes
BluetoothYes
Digital CameraYes
GPSYes
QWERTY Physical KeyboardNo
Email AccessYes
Internet BrowserYes
SpeakerphoneYes
Dimensions
Height4.5 in.
Depth0.37 in.
Width2.31 in.
Weight4.8 oz
Miscellaneous
Release Date10/14/2011
Hades [1728299]

I had a look around the web and its not looking good.

This dude has a Sprint Ipone and it has a sim card though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zlmik_3c14
Hades [1728299]

Just read that too though I mailed the owner a few days ago asking if it was unlocked.

This is the reply I got.

-----------------------------------------------

Good afternoon,

I contacted Sprint in regards for international use, and they have provided me with a master unlock code.

Now since Sprint does not do any of the unlocking, they have advised me to provide this code to you to present to the carrier that you would like to have service with.

The device is no longer tied to any account, and is free for use on any international carrier.

The provided master unlock code is xxxxxxxxx.

I have made sure of this before printing shipping label.

Of course nobody wants something that is of no use to them,

I am shipping now, and you should receive shipping information shortly.


----------------------------------------------


What would be the point in them unlocking a phone that has no Sim card slot? It would be impossible would it not?

Its CDMA EVDO Rev. A 800/1900



In the page you linked it says:

The iPhone 4 (CDMA/Verizon/Sprint) is similar to the previously introduced iPhone 4, apart from support for CDMA (EV-DO Rev. A, 800 MHz, 1900 MHz) rather than GSM. Although, it also has no SIM card slot, a revised antenna and button placement and support for a new 3G "Personal Hotspot" capability that makes it possible to use the iPhone to connect up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices.


Notice the highlighted part. Maybe I will be ok no?
Jobby [1640111]

The guy in the US you're buying it from sounds reasonably, maybe you shouldn't take a chance and cancel the sale? And...this sounds like a stupid question (sorry) but did you ask if it has a sim slot??

...or you could get a proper phone, like a galaxy

[:wink:]