Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Stocks Improvement

Started by Snappy [644425] on in Suggestions.

49 replies · 271 views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 50 / 50 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
50
Discussion span
→
Authority score
29 / 100
Historical score
31 / 100
Story score
52 / 100
Engagement score
67 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Mentioned in this thread

Az_Critter [477183] ×3 kyle8048 [488020] ×2 Snappy [644425] ×1

Snappy [644425]

Now we all know that the stocks list is ordered in numerical order, with the highest price per share appearing at the top of the pile. Unfortunately, as benefit block requirements range from 100,000 shares needed, all the way up to 9,000,000 its hard to work out which stocks offer good/bad value for money. I propose that the price to purchase the entire stock block is made clear to everyone from the outset, saving time visiting each stock (with a calculator in my case). The first image shows what it looks like now. The second shows the change I'd like to see:

Before:

[image: i.imgur.com]

After:

[image: i.imgur.com]

As you can see its only a very minor change, but will particularly speed up the process for people looking for a stock block within their budget. Hopefully i have explained this clearly enough for you all.

Feedback and criticisms welcome. :)
Az_Critter [477183]

That would be a very useful tidbit, without taking up any unnecessary space. I like the idea very much.

The only change I'd make to it is this;
If I was coding it, I'd show the current number of stocks to buy, instead of the current price of those stocks, per the benefit block. Reason being, to update the current price, would mean pulling more info from the database every time the page or info is update with price changes. This puts load on the database and the server, which can significantly lag the game. The players have enough info on the page, to do the math themselves, thereby relieving the server and database of having to do that extra work.

Definitely would be useful to see the extra bit of info right where you suggest it though. :)
Snappy [644425]
Az_Critter [477183]That would be a very useful tidbit, without taking up any unnecessary space. I like the idea very much.

The only change I'd make to it is this;
If I was coding it, I'd show the current number of stocks to buy, instead of the current price of those stocks, per the benefit block. Reason being, to update the current price, would mean pulling more info from the database every time the page or info is update with price changes. This puts load on the database and the server, which can significantly lag the game. The players have enough info on the page, to do the math themselves, thereby relieving the server and database of having to do that extra work.

Definitely would be useful to see the extra bit of info right where you suggest it though. :)


Thanks for the feedback, I definitely see your point. If it was eventually introduced then I guess ched would weigh up how much load it would put on the server and then decide the route to take, as its at his own discretion I suppose.

Mentions: Az_Critter [477183]

Oradeanu-OUT [1746357]

You could easily get how much a benefit block costs without a calculator and in a few clicks

Simply click BUY when viewing a stock then type who many shares are required for the BB then click CONTINUE.

The system would show you how much a BB costs on the next page provided that you typed in the correct amount of shares required for a BB.

Using ELBT here,5mil shares required for the BB



Are you sure you want to buy shares in ELBT at $178.0477 each?

This will cost $890,238,500.

5mil shares currently cost 890mil.No need for a calculator when you could get it calculated by the system for you in seconds
Snappy [644425]

I understand your point of view Oradeanu but that is just one stock. Having to go through that same process 30 times (or however many it is) would still be fairly time consuming, whereas my suggestion allows just one click (stock market) and all the information will be there displayed for easy access.

Your suggestion also leaves the possibility of an accidental purchase, even though a slim chance, its still a possibility all the same.






Evil_Hamster [794548]

I like this - especially as mobile version doesnt always work as well as the PC version. (It has got better)

But if this were a single page load - it would be nice to see.

Rated +
Mayor [158993]
Az_Critter [477183]That would be a very useful tidbit, without taking up any unnecessary space. I like the idea very much.

The only change I'd make to it is this;
If I was coding it, I'd show the current number of stocks to buy, instead of the current price of those stocks, per the benefit block. Reason being, to update the current price, would mean pulling more info from the database every time the page or info is update with price changes. This puts load on the database and the server, which can significantly lag the game. The players have enough info on the page, to do the math themselves, thereby relieving the server and database of having to do that extra work.

Definitely would be useful to see the extra bit of info right where you suggest it though. :)

Definitely agree with not fetching data / putting load on server. Just show block size will do.

Mentions: Az_Critter [477183]