Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Covers!

Started by Lord_Shaper [1865979] on in Music.

49 replies · 292 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 50 / 50 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
50
Discussion span
→
Authority score
25 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
49 / 100
Engagement score
70 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Marauder [436873] ×2 dunmugmeh [538353] ×1 Lord_Shaper [1865979] ×1

Lord_Shaper [1865979]

Not a lot of things can top one of your favorite artists doing their own version of another one of your favorite songs. I love covers. I'm wondering what your favorites are if any? Post them here. I'd love to hear them. If you twisted my arm and I had to choose, I would select this version of 'No Quarter' by Tool. Tool being my favorite band, I'm a bit biased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZKIfCJZvZo
Delyrium [904573]

Ahh, theres a collection of non official metal covers floating around for years, its like 30 cds by now, all great covers.

To name a few fav ones...

Cradle Of Filth - Hallowed by Thy Name (Iron Maiden Cover)
Dyng Fetus - Streaks of Blood (Baphomet Cover)
Megadeth - Duke Nukem Theme
Graveworm - Fear Of The Dark (Maiden Cover)
Graveworm - Losing My Religion (R.E.M. Cover)
Fury, Nightwish, Arch Enemy, Alghazanth - Symphony Of Destruction (Megadeth Cover)
Motoheads Orgasmatron covered by a gazillion bands

EDIT: Just because Metal cover of poker face >_<

Marauder [436873]
Lord_Shaper [1865979]Not a lot of things can top one of your favorite artists doing their own version of another one of your favorite songs. I love covers. I'm wondering what your favorites are if any? Post them here. I'd love to hear them. If you twisted my arm and I had to choose, I would select this version of 'No Quarter' by Tool. Tool being my favorite band, I'm a bit biased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZKIfCJZvZo

I f**kin love Tool, was awed by this cover... 46 and 2 is one of my favorite Tool tracks, watch the drummer go off at the end, someone needs to ign him lol

Mentions: Lord_Shaper [1865979]

dunmugmeh [538353]
Marauder [436873]Hurt by Nine Inch Nails covered by Johnny Cash

Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode covered by Johnny Cash and also by Slaphot

The Depeche Mode Personal Jesus is one of the great songs from the late 80s. All the covers i have heard i didnt like there was a particulary hideous one by Maralyn Manson :P

Mentions: Marauder [436873]

Marauder [436873]
dunmugmeh [538353]
Marauder [436873]Hurt by Nine Inch Nails covered by Johnny Cash

Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode covered by Johnny Cash and also by Slaphot

The Depeche Mode Personal Jesus is one of the great songs from the late 80s. All the covers i have heard i didnt like there was a particulary hideous one by Maralyn Manson :P

The Maralyn Manson cover was terrible but I did quite like the Cash cover, his voice is just haunting on it though it doesn't match up to Gahns voice on this particular song and just to pick hairs its from the 90s ;)

Mentions: dunmugmeh [538353] · Marauder [436873]

Bernzzzie [1670030]

I have a whole favourite covers album collection. . .

Punk Goes Pop, first I ever heard was ISSUES cover of Boyfriend which was basically just the metal cover as a lot of the covers are metal and these albums just make my life :P
Mudbottom [1879891] Wiki Contributor

Alot of well known artists released covers that became accepted as their own song simply because alot of listeners never take the time to find out more about the song.

I'm sure there are ALOT of examples, but two are listed below, both originally created by JJ Cale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQqioJKjzPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYNAgmTeZP4

Interesting opening on After Midnight, haven't heard that lead in before.
Mudbottom [1879891] Wiki Contributor

Was gonna add that one above

Never got a chance too see him, he didn't tour hardly at all...gonna try and learn to play some of his songs.

He had a style that was very unique...never in a hurry, and always with immese feeling.
Stork [1874681]

"Graceland" by Paul Simon, Covered by Hey Rosetta!

http://youtu.be/aMxNCRAILk4

In my opinion, it's better than the original - I love the emotion they put in, and the pulsing rhythm from the auxiliary percussion! This music makes me feel so happy! XD

And Ruth Moody's cover of "Dancing in the Dark" is also better than the original, I think:

http://youtu.be/m0kQKdv_FBU

Closest to liking country music I'll ever let myself be, but her cover is good.


EDIT:


OMG! Can't forget Mumford and Sons' cover of Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer"!


http://youtu.be/YAl-vZsswb4

I heard this version befor hearing the original and loved it. I looked up the original, an it just seemed goofy in comparison. That banjo ~<3


These are some damn solid examples of musicianship.
Mudbottom [1879891] Wiki Contributor

I do like Buble. Anything I listen to has to fit the mood I'm in at the moment. I also like Diana Krall, she has released alot of covers in that genre...just too lazy right now to put in a link.