Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Progression update.

Started by Dave [272331] on in General Discussion.

131 replies · 2.66k views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 132 / 132 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Bullzeye [922212]
KickRocks [1030718]Ghosty, I don't think anyone likes to get beat down or criticized, especially when they feel they are working hard and doing everything in his/her power to make things into what was envisioned.

I'm not as big of a forum whore as a lot people, but I do think I remember Ched stating that this is pretty much the reason why he doesn't like to post expected release dates.

People need to chill out and relax some. Go get some sun before the summer is gone :)

^^ well said, although I do agree with people wanting a progression update as it can be annoying waiting on something for so long, people need to understand that this is cheds business and why would he deliberately want to sabotage or delay his own business if he could help it.

Surprised ched even responses to some of the comments ive seen ive seen in the last few months, no wonder he would rather be silent.

Mentions: KickRocks [1030718]

WaterFreak [62794]
Chedburn [1]Why are you assuming the project management is bad? I think we're doing really awesomely. I don't think we've done anything to indicate that anything is going wrong. Just look at the amount of user reported bugs alone we've fixed since Respo launch (around 600), the flurry of optimisations and updates we've released... Everything is going better than it ever has before.



If you are SO good at project management, then why is it you can not predict a Release Date for features and make them? You stated back in Aug that the new Attack scheme would be out in 3 to 8 weeks (which, BTW is WAY too big a range if you are good at PM), yet here we are approaching 9 weeks after that was posted, no projected release date (which was going to be announced "soon") and it is not here.

Things that have been "released" since RESPO came out:

7/18 - New Mobile layout (needed, but only because the first one sucked)
7/29 - Racing update, not sure how many people Race a lot, but seems like an unnecessary diversion)
8/8 - New Armor, supposed to be part of the whole new Attack system that is still not out
8/22 - Hi - Low, nice, but not part of the core game
9/5 - City Hall Updates & Busting Changes, meh
9/25 - Item Categories, am sure everyone was chomping at the bit for this
9/30 - JSS & CSS updates, so called optimizations, really point to a poor initial design & testing of RESPO when you examine it
10/3 - Years of Service Medals, nice to get a bunch of free merits, but meh

What people are clamoring for is the changes in actual game play you have HYPED and promised:

New Attack System
Faction Wars
Updated Companies

From the outside looking in, it appears that you are putting out a bunch of trivial stuff to try to keep the masses happy with new features, but not getting the what the community wants done.

I work in the computer field, I get that schedules are not always met, but there is a schedule. In the real world, customers want deliver schedules (aka, expected dates that things will be available), they want updates on progress (and when necessary, new dates) and then deliver the product.

You have hyped RESPO and all the new "features" and in 4 months since the release of RESPO have delivered ZERO of those big core features, including missing the release of the new Attack System which was supposed to be out by now.

Mentions: Chedburn [1]

Hades [1728299]
Chedburn [1]Why are you assuming the project management is bad? I think we're doing really awesomely. I don't think we've done anything to indicate that anything is going wrong. Just look at the amount of user reported bugs alone we've fixed since Respo launch (around 600), the flurry of optimisations and updates we've released... Everything is going better than it ever has before.



I have to agree here. I remember when I joined a couple of years ago there used to be down times very regularly and thing where quite buggy and laggy. The site has come on leaps and bounds since I have joined. Of course with immense updates such as 2.0 there will be bugs to fix. It would be very silly to just flood the system with the whole 2.0 package in one big update. The process we have now is much better, updating areas bit by bit and covering any bugs in that area before moving onto another.
Though that does not mean I like all the updates. Everyone has their tastes and not everyone will like the same things. Though overall I think 2.0 has been a success so far.
I'm really looking forward to when the devs start the advertising campaign. It should bring in a great influx of players. I think we all should just sit tight for a while and let the devs finish the job. When the whole thing is released and bugs taken care of im sure many will be happy and will continue to play like they have been.

Mentions: Chedburn [1]

ReyDuvall [1526820]
KnifeBoy [1548391]I hope you read this Ched. In my experience a combined bug fixing team and development team do not work anywhere near as good as two separate teams.

New set of eyes can help, but you surely experience diminishing returns, and how many coders do you think he needs...

And in my opinion having a second set of hands muddling about in your code will mess up the first coder, whom I remind you, will be working with that code in the future since the point of these updates were to make it so they can add to them.

Mentions: KnifeGirl [1548391]

Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

Don't believe any estimated date range I give, take it as a rough estimate and don't get your panties in a twist if it's a couple of weeks over. I have no doubt whatsoever that the people complaining about the estimated release date of attacking, will be the same people complaining about it once it's released anyway - so what's the point?

If I give you a specific release date, then it'll be pretty accurate with very little chance of it being pushed back, although it's always a possibility. It's common knowledge that rough estimations in the software industry are very often inaccurate.
Mat-Senpai [952164]
Chedburn [1]Don't believe any estimated date range I give, take it as a rough estimate and don't get your panties in a twist if it's a couple of weeks over. I have no doubt whatsoever that the people complaining about the estimated release date of attacking, will be the same people complaining about it once it's released anyway - so what's the point?

If I give you a specific release date, then it'll be pretty accurate with very little chance of it being pushed back, although it's always a possibility. It's common knowledge that rough estimations in the software industry are very often inaccurate.

perhaps give a seasonal time frame "early winter" and the like from now on?

personally i don't care, more time to train and get 4 cap'd stats.

Mentions: Chedburn [1]

TheTraveller [1845619]

In Ched's defense... estimating release dates for software is notoriously hard for anything of significant size. Most times big game shops give a hard date... the work is done and only minor bugs are left.
Caretaker [1690670]

I'm loving seeing Ched become so pissed off at this thread, the majority of people who use the forums and who are making an input in this thread are donators(as was I until I became sick of waiting for respo), it is not us who he should be pissed at it is his himself, his so called developers and the mightly skilled testers.

Don't get me wrong I am not a skilled coder like Ched (not that there is any proof he is) but if things were done properly the release of respo, which is basically just a design update shouldn't have caused 600 bugs, I understand that there would have been a few bugs after the release but 600.

Also why the f**k is he getting so pissed off? Torn is a business, Ched may not have customers but it is his donators and subscribers that keep this game alive and without them he wouldn't be as rich as he is and "the biggest update in 10 years" would have never happened. I think he needs a few lessons in public relations, or even better go back to university and finish studying web developing and while he is there maybe get a degree in business management.

To finish off, yes this is a direct rant towards Ched, instead of getting so pissed off at the people who have the right to criticize your way of doing things and it is your job to apologise for f**king things up.

Maybe a little suggestion will help you, instead of the donator features just being a temporary show of wealth, make those who directly donate to the cause permanent Donators instead of just a civilian, you don't buy a bag for life and then just become a hippy for the next couple of months until you lose the bag under a pile of ironing, you have made a difference to the world, just like donators making a difference to the game so they deserve permament acknolowgment.
Unknown_Element [450910]
Caretaker [1690670]I'm loving seeing Ched become so pissed off at this thread, the majority of people who use the forums and who are making an input in this thread are donators(as was I until I became sick of waiting for respo), it is not us who he should be pissed at it is his himself, his so called developers and the mightly skilled testers.

Don't get me wrong I am not a skilled coder like Ched (not that there is any proof he is) but if things were done properly the release of respo, which is basically just a design update shouldn't have caused 600 bugs, I understand that there would have been a few bugs after the release but 600.

Also why the f**k is he getting so pissed off? Torn is a business, Ched may not have customers but it is his donators and subscribers that keep this game alive and without them he wouldn't be as rich as he is and "the biggest update in 10 years" would have never happened. I think he needs a few lessons in public relations, or even better go back to university and finish studying web developing and while he is there maybe get a degree in business management.

To finish off, yes this is a direct rant towards Ched, instead of getting so pissed off at the people who have the right to criticize your way of doing things and it is your job to apologise for f**king things up.

Maybe a little suggestion will help you, instead of the donator features just being a temporary show of wealth, make those who directly donate to the cause permanent Donators instead of just a civilian, you don't buy a bag for life and then just become a hippy for the next couple of months until you lose the bag under a pile of ironing, you have made a difference to the world, just like donators making a difference to the game so they deserve permament acknolowgment.

or you can just log off and not play if you dont like his ways.

Mentions: Caretaker [1690670]

Robb-Stark [1075937]

i dont understand why people say just log off if you like a game isnt giving feed back and asking questions about why the hell things are taking so long part of the game

unknown element do you think ched really wants us to log off and not play his game be smarter then that

the problem we got is we got a millionaire kid owner of a game who fior a while has only put in half ass efforts then when his profits dropped he decided to give a shit now we want answers on how long and he cant give it

simple as that ched screwed up by letting the game null away with his lame easy patchs up like the war system that killed faction wars this game has become so easy its getting shit and everything has been nurfed to shit
Unknown_Element [450910]

and yet you still play it.. i mean i just fiind it ironic that people constantly whine and complain about what ched does and how he does it when he has always done things the way he wants to do them. are you expecting a big change?

honestly if im unhappy with how something is going then i just dont play it anymore. raging in the forum about things that are going on in the background and not having a clue of what issues might be happening isnt constructive criticism.

if he had an answer he would give it to you dont you think? didnt he give a date for respo and some other things once he KNEW for sure?

sitting here demaning he gives you an answer wont get an answer at all.
Midknight [332505]

Haha this thread is funny man geeez, I miss good old threads like these.

You have the Ched supporters who feel because they suck and are not competitive, who cares when the update comes out.

Then you have all the serious gamers just wanting some bloody answers. Like why did we spend hours a month taking 3 xanax a day to be a stats beast again? and not a damn thing in the game to do with stats but beat up noob Ched supporters lol.

Games boring and until the new attacking system is implemented and working correctly NOTHING NEW WILL BE COMING OUT.

So sit back and relax and let Ched do his thing. The more active people quit, the easier my targets will be with all these traders and poker players who are happy with the new updates.


Robb-Stark [1075937]

well i did do something about it i cancelled my subscription and from all reports ched has said there is a huge change if you want to run a good buisness you keep the product up to date and keep in contact with the customer

unknown element i dont any company or game that everyone is 100 percent on the side of the owner there is always room to improve and change if we go by what your saying this game would still be in 2007 cause anyone who didnt like it or complain would have left



Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

:o

I'm not pissed off? I'm just addressing concerns. I noticed a few people complaining about things that simply don't exist, or have no reason to complain about. I'm surprised you took my previous comments as hostile or angry, I was genuinely just mentioning facts. Facts that I would know and can accurately provide because I'm on the admin / developer side. After ten years, I'm pretty immune to flamers / haters or unjustified complaints / criticism.

I'm most certainly not a skilled coder, that's why RESPO was needed - to replace a great deal of my work.

I don't think there's anything left for me to say here, because I now really have no idea what you actually want from me. You wanted me to be active with the community - I've made several posts in this thread now. You wanted a progress update - I've given you one.

Updates taking too long? I'm sorry but, that's just the way it is. We're working very hard, but delays happen.
I'm not giving enough information? Sorry but I really don't know what other information you require. Giving estimates or deadlines upsets people when they're not met.

If you want to cancel your subscription, that's absolutely fine. It's your money. If you want to leave the game, please go ahead - I'm not stopping you - it's your life, your time.

We're doing the absolute best we can here. We just require some patience.
Hades [1728299]

You dont have to make excuses for anyone ched. Its good you are joining in on the forums again and would like to see more posts from you but you are always going to get kids throwing their toys out of the pram. Everyone knows you and the guys are working your balls off. Its just some people are never happy no matter what you throw at them. Just keep motoring on.
KickRocks [1030718]
ghosty [1348728]
KickRocks [1030718]Ghosty, I don't think anyone likes to get beat down or criticized, especially when they feel they are working hard and doing everything in his/her power to make things into what was envisioned.

I'm not as big of a forum whore as a lot people, but I do think I remember Ched stating that this is pretty much the reason why he doesn't like to post expected release dates.

People need to chill out and relax some. Go get some sun before the summer is gone :)

Sure I accept people don't like criticism and maybe he is trying his best but all I know is we are losing players by thousands over 4K now. I can't see anything been done to combat this trend..

Also I don't see anything wrong with questioning things especially when u see the game in a down ward spiral. This game is a good time passer and people make their opinion heard this way because they don't want the game to continue die a slow death.

There shit loads of factions and were losing players and not bringing new ones in...

Unfortunately mate there is no Sunshine here just hard rain

It's not that people can't handle criticism. If Chedburn wasn't able to handle criticism, then I seriously doubt the game would have lasted this long. It's not like this game resides in a country that is protected by a constitution. As far as I can see, he can govern it how he feels and, by that logic, he could very easily silence anyone that critiques him or the game in a bad light. Sure, that would be detrimental to the game, more than likely, but still don't be confused, it's his place and his choice to do so or not.

As far as 4K people leaving the game since respo release, I don't honestly believe that number is accurate and or relates directly to people quitting the game cause they don't like it now. I think the number is extremely bloated, though I could be wrong. Neither you nor I am privy to that info so I'm not gonna pretend to be. The main concern from people I talk to, and from personal experience, is the mobile interface and the major data usage the mobile site takes up. I don't live by my smart phone like a lot of people do today, but I used to log in once in a while from it. I don't anymore cause it takes up way too much data. That is my one and only issue since the release, and admittedly, it is a big one for a lot of people.

There is nothing wrong with questioning things, Ghosty. But throwing a tantrum cause you don't like something and not bringing a resolution to the table is moot. Stating "I am a very patient person but even my patients is wearing thin." makes you sound like some South Hampton dbag that's getting pissed cause people are getting dirt on the road. I'll play nice and not give you my opinion on what I think of this comment, "I play hardcore but at the same time I can switch off just like that."

I am sorry there is no sunshine where you are.

Mentions: ghosty [1348728] · KickRocks [1030718]

Chedburn [1] Admin Developer
Hades [1728299]You dont have to make excuses for anyone ched. Its good you are joining in on the forums again and would like to see more posts from you but you are always going to get kids throwing their toys out of the pram. Everyone knows you and the guys are working your balls off. Its just some people are never happy no matter what you throw at them. Just keep motoring on.

I know it's just a small fraction of the older users which do it, but I do feel it's important to address them ASAP because that mindset can spread like wildfire. Before you know it, every player is complaining about the same thing even if there's no logic or sense behind it. Allowing inaccurate negative posts (often created due to misunderstandings) to go unanswered can lead to a nightmare.

This is not just a phenomenon with Torn, it's apparent in all games. I think a lot of people would agree - Torn is actually pretty well off - I'm shocked at the content posted on the forums or comments for other games. The level of anger and profanity blurted out by their users simply because of the smallest inconvenience or misunderstanding is astonishing. If they're left unanswered (which they always are), they spread and metastasise.

Mentions: Hades [1728299]