Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Which laptop?

Started by 7Thommo7 [523173] on in Technology.

7 replies · 64 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 8 / 8 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
8
Discussion span
→
People posting
3
Likes on archived posts
0
Authority score
6 / 100
Historical score
13 / 100
Story score
23 / 100
Engagement score
42 / 100
7Thommo7 [523173]

Ok it's time for a new laptop, and I figured I'd just about decided on my vendor, namely these people:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/hardwarestore2000?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 based in Germany - it's about the cheapest MSI's I've located this side of the Atlantic. With a budget of around £800 I was looking at the likes of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSI-GE70-Core-i5-4200-Windows-7-16GB-120GB-SSD-1000GB-GeForce-GTX-850-/261574276931?pt=DE_Technik_Computer_Peripherieger%C3%A4te_Notebooks&hash=item3ce70ab743

H
owever I've only just realised how affordable some Asus G75's have become and particularly this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKF2H12?tag=notebookche0f-20

Looks a cracker. Worth noting is that I already have a nearly-new SSD to fit into whatever I get. Apart from that I'm just after a 17" with big graphics and processing with a bit of style (right now I've got a thing for backlit keyboards). So what's the catch with this Asus? The only obvious bonuses to MSI is it's slightly slimmer/lighter, sleeker looking and has a more awesome keyboard backlight... Everything that matters inside the Asus dominates right?

Am I missing anything? Any insight is greatly appreciated!
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

If you live outside the USA, you can't buy the Asus from Amazon.


57 new from $1,269.00 5 used from $800.00 1 refurbished from $999.99
Special Shipping Information: Due to federal and international regulations, this product can only be shipped within the 50 states.
The MSI looks nice. Probably not as durable as the Asus. You don't need an i7 processor, the i5 is fine.
7Thommo7 [523173]

Oh... never noticed that. Am I likely to find a vendor offering it at a similar price here? I don't understand what the deal is with shipping it over, and all the best companies are based in the states... :/

'Why a laptop?'

A few reasons, I'm at uni and will be doing a lot of finite element analysis and other engineering applications on it. That, and I'm always on the go - ie I just came back from a year living in Europe, a desktop wouldn't be quite as easy to take with me.
7Thommo7 [523173]

Ah excellent thanks! Just another couple things about the delivery though, I imagine living in the UK I'm gonna have VAT added to that? And also, will the power brick it comes with be suitable or am I likely to need to buy a new charger immediately?
7Thommo7 [523173]

I think I might have found a winner: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-G750JM-T4109H-Intel-Core-i5-4200H-8-Go-1-To-17-3-GTX-860M-/281501757852?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_23&hash=item418acff19c

N
ow my french is only at a guessing-level but it seems the only downgrades on this laptop is 8GB instead of 12GB and i5 instead of i7, not very big issues amirite? And I could easily double my ram with how much cheaper this one is than all other options I've found?

Edit: It's only a dual-core i5 actually, is that a game-changer or we still on a good deal here?
Mat-Senpai [952164]

depends on what you'd be using the laptop for... then again it's a laptop and to expect it to run anything powwrful is rather un-reasonable, in terms of RAM 8GB is the most you'd ever need and even for graphics/video rendering you should only have 8GB MAX as it would just ruin your laptop in about 1 year times with heat produced. As for CPU... it's a laptop, even if you're running an i7 (i'm to guess it'd be a 3rd GEN ivy at worst) it's still the m- version for mobile portability meaning it's extremely less powerful than an actual i7 4770k CPU

either way, if you're looking for a laptop don't get something super expensive it will just end up being a waste, we don't live in a world in which you can buy "powerful" computers which can be taking from A to B in small compact forms yet, buy something around £500-600 odd DELL laptop.

"power" is more of an importance to desktops, mainly as it's able to use that power.