Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Windows 10 ...

Started by lil-flip [303014] on in Technology.

21 replies · 189 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 22 / 22 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
22
Discussion span
→
Authority score
9 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
38 / 100
Engagement score
60 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

lil-flip [303014]

Since i saw some OS posts i thought I would start up a discussion about the upcoming windows 10. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
lil-flip [303014]

The reason for this is that they were working on windows 9 and realized it wasn't going the way they wanted. So they changed there initial ideas completely and instead of calling it the same (as they were quite the way through with it) they re-named it windows 10 as it felt like a new project completely.
Danny [12503]

Ahh nice. I thought it was to do with a lot of code looking at the OS name and if it contained "Windows 9" then do something different because it probably assumed it would be win 95/98.

But it looks like their Kernel went from 6.3 on windows 8 to originally 6.4 on windows 10, and now recently to 10. So I image it was probably the Kernel was changed to match the OS not the other way around.

I guess 6+4 is 10 so maybe it was a secret code name all along :O
GrimLord [1402010]

Are there any previews of the new os and will they still be working towards the total elimination of the keyboard, i hate the fact that we are moving towards a touch screen based computing environment.
TheCheesinater [1629870]

You can download windows 10 now, its not stable as such as they are still building it but you can get the technical preview.
The only difference I have noticed using windows 10 is you don't have the weird windows 8 screen (screen when the windows button is pressed)
You get a mini version of it added to a start menu, so glad they brought back the start menu

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview
SS3_Goku [1864562]

I hope to God that they are not eliminating the keyboard alltogether. I hate the idea of going all touch screen. I am interested in touch screen don't get me wrong, but I still like my mouse and keyboard the best.
GrimLord [1402010]

Yes but my uncle knows people at microsoft and they have told him that there plans are to eliminate the keyboard and mouse.


883567 [883567]

What happened to Windows without random digits on the end? I prefered random letters.

Side note: why the f**k do tech companies think the future of technology is arbitrarily using more expensive and cumbersome "futuristic" shit instead of sticking with what works?
Yea, i could slap a pair of massive goggles to my head and tap my fingers on a touchscreen that doesn't quite work for the low low price of 3-400 pounds, or i could just use my mouse and keyboard that isn't stupid and expensive.
What was wrong with 8 is that it was shit unless you were using a tablet. How is making 10 just as tablet-oriented going to solve the main issue with 8?
Danny [12503]

Yeah, I'll upgrade my Windows 8 desktop but keep my 7 on 7. My I got a little excited hoping I'd get my phone with WP7 an upgrade, but it's only for WP8 :(
Mr_Red [1693261]

As soon as it's a stable release that's published I'm a Windows 10 guy, can't wait till they start the free Windows 10 upgrade offer. I'm one of the few that doesn't mind windows 8.1 but from what I've seen Windows 10 takes the better parts of the past few generations and improves upon it. Plus the fact they're deprecating that horrible IE browser for a fresh new 'Spartan' browser is just great imo.
1875860 [1875860]

It's just marketing. Nine doesn't sound that good apparently.

I just hope I can keep my using keyboard and mouse, cause coding on a TochScreen isn't very efficient.