Im a newbie and currently started this game today. Some people suggested me to read the wiki and so I did. I gained alot of info from as I skimmed through it, but I still have some questions though.
What stats should I train first which are most important?
What I should use my merits on? Speed? Attack? crime skill? or any other.
I would be grateful for any helpful comments
-DragonT
Its up to you what to train....all the stats in my opinion are important. Try getting them all to 500 k then to 1 m ...then start whoring ( focusing on only one stat) one to say 5 m then the next....i picked strength and dex to start me off ....but its up to u....merits at first i picked crit hit rate....then on stats
I would use my merits on education... I also have 10/10 on Bank interest...
Nice to see a new player actually looking for help and not money [:smiley:]
Thanks for everyone who made helpful comments :D
I'll just start off with a bit of speed, defense and attack.
And as suggested will probably use the merits on Crit chance and Education.
Getting a DP would definitely be useful too for training purposes :)
Considering the recent changes, I would say life points and awareness are pretty valuable to a new player as well. Having 25 or 50 extra life could mean the difference between winning or losing a close battle.
I found upgrading my nerve bar and health points to be very useful! Extra health helps the most in battle with low stats
Okay thanks mac, I'll try upgrading health and my nerve bar too :D
I don't think life points will be helpful as a new player. If anybody wants to attack/mug/hosp you at the moment they will still 1 shot you. I support education, crime success, banking, and a point or so in nerve bar doesn't hurt.
I'll take both posts into account but of course I'll do the ones which people mentioned the most first.
I do agree that all those are very usefull, especially education if you plan on playing this game for a long time. But life points really helps in the long run considering they are such a huge part of the attacking system now. And especially that he is such a low level, a 3% increase in stats per upgrade is going to be so negligible with already super low stats. Just my opinion. You cant really go wrong with any choice you make though! good luck!
Don't spend merits on LP until you got decent stats.
For merits I'll start on education, nerve, crit, banking and health in that order.
The thing with merits is depending on your game play differant things are going to be useful others not. You can reset them with points if your not happy with where you have put them but this costs money. There is no actual need to rush into a decision where to use them at a young age. Torn is a long game and hopefully you will be here for many years but perhaps consider not using them until you decide the direction of your personal gameplay.
While you could say everyone has given you decent advice the thing is its advice to relating to there decisions on there own gameplay. Until you have decided none of these are really relative to you.
Education is definitely a good starting point for your merits because you are going to have education courses running all the time or should be.
Stats wise there is a lot of ways you can go, with some of the changes and the way the scales work i would work on balancing it out but focus on strength and speed. Just don't let the other two areas fall far behind. Balanced stats are a very good way to go.
Best advice in this thread.
Dont just blindly follow other people's advice into taking this or that merit.
Torn allows a very diverse gameplay and until you understand which options you have in the long run, I would not rush into spending too many merits on anything.
P.S welcome to the game
One thing im sort of regretting (very little) is not training evenly. I trained my strength up high but nothing else and was losing to people 10 levels below me because they had more speed and dexterity than me, i would train evenly if i were you. Keep in mind this is a really long term game. You're going to invest years . Message me if you need help with anything. And also as long as you're not greedy and ungrateful and will be begging any chance you get message me and ill throw you a few bucks,
If you aren't on irc either, it is worth being able to get on there as there are older players that are happy to help out or people that have been around for a lot less time that can offer a lot of input. As has been said previously, there a lot of layers to the game.
The game opens up at level 15, so between now and then you want to try and get on irc, to win the lotteries. Search the city and see if you can find some random items that you can then sell for some much needed money. Make sure you understand your cools downs and how the drugs work so you are training properly. I am also around if you want any help :)
Yup I listened to daves advice, and also mad_scottish, as I read the wiki, I also found Irc, so im already using it.
Anyways thanks to all who made helpful comments, they were pretty useful :D