Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Defense is useless?

Started by Jimbronius [1875701] on in Questions & Answers.

49 replies · 1.1k views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 50 / 50 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

882706 [882706]

torn is hard place to live in. dont worry about it.

and i think def is sucks.
simple glance at % provided by education is enough. dex is the highest!
Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

Speed and dex are pretty balanced, but with Education bonuses they become slightly differing causing dex to be a sure winner if you have all the passives.

Strength and defense are two completely different ball parks... Strength beats down on defense extremely.

Dex and speed determine whether you hit or get hit... it's pretty straight forward. Strength and defense tho is just a modifier stat... The point of training strength is to hit people for damage, the point of defense is to not get hit for damage... However, equal strength to defense does not mean that they will balance out... instead Equal strength to defense means that your attacking power is only reduced by 50%... which means strength is easily twice as powerful as defense by default with equal stats. But it doesn't end there... I could go into it all day but can't be bothered, check the attacking forum, even after cheds defense "buff" it's still not enough.
1445293 [1445293]

I think this guy Ohadik 424017 Knows best, we need to listen to him.

@JImbronius ye i agree with ALI torn is a hard place, people have different opinions to deal with all is impossible, just get what you need and get out.
1445293 [1445293]

not at all, i just saw how you disliked 4 of my post prior to this i thought that was rude.



anyways have fun wont be seeing me around.
Ohadik [424017] Wiki Contributor

I disliked 1 of your posts. I think you're getting confused by the fact you get downrated by everyone for making stupid posts.
1875860 [1875860]

First of all, I'm not an expert so don't shoot me if this is total rookie nonsense. It's just a theory that worked for me in other games in the past that I beleive might work in Torn. So here is my 2 cents.

Given that the game will change over time like it has for the pas 10 years, isn't the safest approach to go 25% on each stat to be most flexible (agile) when it comes to future updates?
boo [1544641]

As far as defensive stats go, I'd train dex over def now.

You need 4100x the dex of your opponent in speed to get a 99% hit rate. Lol?
So get your dex to 10M and they'll need 41B speed to guarantee hitting you every time.

Whereas with defense, someone only needs equal your defense in strength to do some serious damage to you that you won't be able to sustain for long. Strength is far more effective against Defense than Speed is effective again Dexterity.

Yeah, pretty bullshit with self busting having been a thing... >_>

So I wish anyone luck v rapid_riser or gonzo. XD
HavokGDI [133687] Moderator Official

Def did get nerfed hard. I have over 1B def and still get pounded with people with far less strength. However I do still see a use for it. I often get hit for 100 damage or so thanks to my def. Crits however bring a whole new aspect into it. I feel like my def is ignored in these. (Hit me for 80 damage in the leg and then 3k in the face).

Oh, and keep it on topic and leave who disliked who's posts to pm's.
1445293 [1445293]

i agree and i kinda see it now because later the other day i was attakced by some guys and i was attacking some lvl 45 and decided to peep his stats he had a little less stats then mine but he crit me twice and i got beat i was like YOU LUCKU a$$ guy!!!

and regarding other posts sorry this ohadik guy just started flaming me for no reason idk he got on my nerves.
8799853 [1751501]

yeah it's great getting my 300m definitely beat by a person with 50m str.. I don't really attack. . but evidently it's 10x harder to defend...
Queequeg [1602158]

I always thought defense is best when attacking and dex is best when defending. But after they changed the attacking stuff. But it doesn't matter, I just try to keep them as balanced as possible with the fronter fitness and global gyms. I think they all are pretty good stats for different things in battle.
Cursed [1901987]

personally i think you're better off training defence instead of dexterity, and just ignoring dexterity, that way you can get 1.3x as much gains in the other three
Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor

Just keep it balanced that's the best way to go these days.. They all have their disadvantages and their advantages. Just depends on crits if you want to win..